Thread: Servers

Servers

Hello,

In all honesty here, do you reccomend me making my own server?

I am curently building a new PC and wouldn't mind making it into a server, as my PC will have 400gig HDD.

I was wondering what is your thoughts on this, etc.

Also, i would need a better connection thn 512k too correct?

Chris,

Please provide more specifics about what you want to do with this server. Are you planning on hosting 300 web sites on it? If so, then yes, you will need a faster connection, probably a connection around the T1 area at least.

If you do make your own server and wish to use it for web hosting, you should consider just colocating.

Also, is that 512k upload or download? With a 512k upload you might be able to host a fair amount of traffic, if your ISP allows it. Remember, that if that 512k or whatever line you get to your place happens to go down for ISP upgrades or any other reason, your customers are gonna be might pissed off
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Also if your going to colocate it consider a 1u or 2u case.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Some info:

I haveBroadband from Blueyonder 27 per month.

I would be using it to Host 'free hosted forums'

I will have a full 11 bay ATX case, with a 3GHZ AMD processor and 2 x 512mb DDR

200 gig HDD and maybe another 200 in the future.

Blueyonder at 27 per month is 512k as far as I remember. Therefore your upload is only 128k. This will be nowhere near enough im afraid. If you upgrade to 1mbit then you will have 256k upload, which will possibly be enough for a forum of your own, dependent of how popular it is.

Ive often thought of using my 2mbit SDSL and having my 1mbit ntl connection (256k up) as backup as a server but its far too much hassle, so ill just stick to servers in dc's. They are very cheap nowadays anyway (from around 30 per server)!
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Where do you get a server for 30?

Thanks

plenty of places. I have seen quite a few on WHT itself

Remember with the dollar as weak as it currently is, $55 is only like 30

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Any help is appreciated, links?

The first place that comes to mind is managed.com, but I have also seen a few in the dedicated servers offers forums, sometimes for even cheaper. Also, VPS and reseller packages are very cheap now with the amount of competition in the industry and they would perform as well as dedicated server, and with low pricing

If you are after 400GB of HDD which you would get with your PC turned server, then you are looking at ALOT more than 30/month look at more like 130 (available at The Planet - price is only approx though because exhanges vary) This would be what you need. You can also find loads more deals but normal dedicated server packages don't come with this amount of space as standard, customized servers are needed either ask for quotes or use the quote forms on the sites.

Think which is the best option for you. Would you rather spend time managing the server yourself and fixing it if it breaks, or pay someone else alittle more to do it for you.

Look around, but first ask yourself what you want to do.

Reseller plans with this amount of space are almost impossible to find (unless you find people who say "unlimited" which is just a load of old bull. But i'm not sure about VPS's though, they could offer what you need for less than a dedicated.

You should not need 400GB of HDD space anyway though...

Id say a 40GB would do to start with, its amazing how little space most forums use.

I cant see too many people who need more then 200GB HDD space on a server unless they were storing nothing but downloads/warez etc...

Originally posted by Sash!
    You should not need 400GB of HDD space anyway though...

Id say a 40GB would do to start with, its amazing how little space most forums use.

I cant see too many people who need more then 200GB HDD space on a server unless they were storing nothing but downloads/warez etc...
    I agree. Unless this is some super box capable of handing a few thousand clients, there isn't a need for 400GB of space. It'd be a waste of money and power.
    John Kata