Who owns all the domains?

Ok, i want to get another domain, but dont want to pay for it! Where do godaddy.com and all these other people get the domains they sell from?

You want another domain, but dont want to pay for it? You made it sound like "I want another burger, but don't want to pay for it" ...

By the way, GoDaddy and the gang are ICANN-accredited registrars, if that's what you are asking for:

http://icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

you want something and you dont want to pay for it?

get a .tk domain its free
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Re: Who owns all the domains?

Originally posted by jb11223
    Ok, i want to get another domain, but dont want to pay for it! Where do godaddy.com and all these other people get the domains they sell from?
    godaddy and all the rest *pay* for them to ICANN and NSI

there are a few domain extensions where the central registry for that tld doesn't *currently* make a charge, .tk for example however be aware that several providers simply blackhole the domains as they're used a lot by scammers, spammers and freeloaders.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

get a .tk domain its free
    i don't think he/she won't a .tk he wants a .com FREE

Originally posted by plutonas
    i don't think he/she won't a .tk he wants a .com FREE

i don't find anything funny men

Re: Re: Who owns all the domains?

Originally posted by othellotech
    .tk for example however be aware that several providers simply blackhole the domains as they're used a lot by scammers, spammers and freeloaders.
    True. Last time I talked to a VP of .tk, I was told that .tk domains are NOT accessible from e.g. China AT ALL.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I do. Why would anybody in their right mind think that somebody would be giving away domain names? Yes, in the past we have had large companies try promotional deals but where are they today? Not giving away FREE domains anymore that's for sure.

FREE domains anymore that's for sure.
    why not men?

Well young man it's called the economy. Normally a business model that eats $6.xx at a time with nothing to gain in return is a BAD model.

Neo has them all - welcome to the Matrix.

yes
    but you can earn from ads

Namezero and NameDemo used to be a couple of places that would register domains for you for free. And they tried the banner thing, but there's no quality control when you register names for everyone, so they never made their $$$ back from the domain itself, let alone make any profits.

oh,
    sad

Hence, no free lunch for .com, .net, .org, etc.

Hence, no free lunch for .com, .net, .org, etc.
    since last month it was one
    www.******************
    but it is close now

since it turned into **********'s then its BAD
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

WHat im asking is who creates all the names, Where do Godaddy and all these other companys buy their names from?

If a name does not exist already, it is created at the Registry level. There are various Registries: Verisign handles .com/.net, PIR handles .org, Afilias handles .info, Neulevel handles .biz

Read until your hearts content.
    http://www.icann.org/faq/