How high Server load is high

Hello,

If server load is 2.67, is that high? What will be happened if the server load is high?

what are your server specs, that isn't to high but it depends on what your server specs are
    http://www.baddabinghosting.com
    [email protected]
    MSN - [email protected]
    AIM - Badda Bing 0003

That's a VPS, Minimum Guaranteed RAM 128 MB,Guaranteed Cpu Rate 128 Mhz+ and Max CPU 2 X 2.4 (Dual Xeon)

Will that server load consider high?

Re: How high Server load is high

Originally posted by Chris2001
    Hello,

If server load is 2.67, is that high? What will be happened if the server load is high?
    It depends... How many processors has your system?

Here's a generic rule:

Nice:
    Load =< number of processors
    (if you have 1 processor, SL =< 1.0)

Ok:
    Load < 2 x number of processors
    (if you have 1 processor, SL < 2.0)

Above 3x you'll probably notice the system going slow, and, if it goes too high, the system may crash.

Note that I'm talking about averages. It's natural that some operations make your SL higher for some time.

Originally posted by Chris2001
    That's a VPS, Minimum Guaranteed RAM 128 MB,Guaranteed Cpu Rate 128 Mhz+ and Max CPU 2 X 2.4 (Dual Xeon)

Will that server load consider high?
    If it's a VPS, things are a little different.... But I'd say your SL is ok, not very nice, but not bad at all.

So what will be the average rule for VPS?

Unless your load is (constantly) around 5, I wouldn't even worry about it. CPanel and the like have got individuals so that they think that anything above 1.0 is critical. Anything above 5 repeatedly is critical and means the server should be looked at, no matter what processor you've got.

With new(er) servers, you can safely push 80, 90 load, but it's NOT good on the server itself to continually do that. 1-2 is nothing at all, that's just an indication that your server is actually doing some work
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Guessing thats a Virtuozzo VPS its nothing to be worried about

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

how high should I begin to worry?

A very rough rule of thumb is to worry when things are continuously slow

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by wolfstream
    Anything above 5 repeatedly is critical and means the server should be looked at, no matter what processor you've got.
    Not exactly. There are a lot of factors in Server Load. But considering it as, in a given moment in time, the number of process that are waiting to run, a SL of 5 in a dual xeon with HT can be somewhat compared to a SL of 1.25 in a single processor system.

To make it more clear: imagine you have a support guy to answer your client's support tickets. How many tickets are in the queue now? 20. The guy is really busy, and tickets will take a lot of time to be processed... Now imagine you have 10 guys to answer the tickets. How many tickets are in the queue now? 20. They'll finish it in seconds...

Although in both cases the load is the same, the number of "guys" to process the load makes a difference on how is the system acting.

That's why there's the generical rule of keeping SL below the number of processors (a SL of 4 in a dual xeon with ht means that, in that moment, there's 1 process to each virtual processor).

Regarding cPanel, you can define in WHM what SL should be considered critical. In my systems, I set it as 2x the number of processors (2, for a single processor, 8 for a dual xeon).

^^ load is very very hard to use, because it simply relates to the number of processes in the run queue

a test run on an 866mhz celron (I think) the other day showed xmms not skipping a beat when the box was under 1000 load (6000 forked bash processes), this was with 2.6, load can mean everything and nothing, so it's best to check the load of your box with other tools.

VPS I'm guessing you got it from dinix and have cpanel.

Anyways in that situation should cpanel only see the 128mhz+ ????

Originally posted by Winkie
    ^^ load is very very hard to use, because it simply relates to the number of processes in the run queue

a test run on an 866mhz celron (I think) the other day showed xmms not skipping a beat when the box was under 1000 load (6000 forked bash processes), this was with 2.6, load can mean everything and nothing, so it's best to check the load of your box with other tools.
    Yup. As I mentioned, there are a lot of factors in Server Load, my example was just to give an idea of how it works.

Note that different process run with different priorities. So, it's normal if some high priority process run fine even in a high load - caused by low priority processes - environment. Try running as many xmms instances as it takes to make the load around 100, and let's see if they keep not skipping a beat

But I agree server load is a VERY complex thing.

Originally posted by rsferreira
    Yup. As I mentioned, there are a lot of factors in Server Load, my example was just to give an idea of how it works.

Note that different process run with different priorities. So, it's normal if some high priority process run fine even in a high load - caused by low priority processes - environment. Try running as many xmms instances as it takes to make the load around 100, and let's see if they keep not skipping a beat

But I agree server load is a VERY complex thing.
    Dear god no, my box would form into some kind of fist and punch me if I even attempted this.