Mysterious Domain activity please help me.

Hello, I've been lurking on this forum for months and finally decieded to make membership. There is a domain name I have been after, its not exactly a hot name but it is extreamly old and is known by 1000s of people... The webmaster of the domain hardly pays attension and his site and his moderators have been running the forums there. The whois showed that the domain expires at a certain time and the domain wasn't renewed by the time it should have expired meaning the domain should have gone into some redemtion period but it didnt and afew days after it should have expired it was renewed and the whois shows it as it expires in a years time... I had it backordered at pool.com and it shows that the domain hasn't been renewed, so what the heck is going on. Did the webmaster do something to the whois to make it seem like its not expireing so know one can register the domain?

So basically the whois states it expires 2005 march 5th and pool.com backorder status shows expires 2004 march 5th is that strange??
    Last edited by Postmaster; 03-09-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Hey Mate, without more info it really could be a number of things.

Thanks for your reply...
    I would rather keep some info to myself but, all the problem is it shows on whois a diffrent expirery date to pool.com and the only things I can come up with is it might take pool.com time to realise the domain has been renewed or the whois information is false/true.... Its not possible for both of them to state diffrent expirery dates without one of them being false. I have it backordered at snapnames.com too someone else has already backordered it at godaddy..... Whats so special about this domain name is not the url as it is the shitest name you could get but the site gets alot of traffic.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 03-09-2004 at 10:05 AM.

I have noticed whois dates all messed up on several domains in the past. What does freewho.com tell you under status check?

When the domain expires it drops into the "Expired" status and can typically take between 1-45 days (I've seen most domains stay 10 days in this status at most for some reason) to move onto the next step which is "Redemption Period" - for the old owner can still renew it in this status, it stays in this period for 30 days at a minimum, then it would move into the "Pending Delete" status which shows you the domain is going to be deleted from the registry and stays in this period for 5 days,

So if the domain you say has a 5th March expiration date, add 10 days for expired status + 30 days for the redemption period and add another 5 days for the pending delete status, 19th of April or thereabouts is when the domain would be available to register (this all depends on the registrar where the domain is held, as some hold the domain longer then other!)

You can check out an image of snapnames delete cycle:
    https://www.snapnames.com/partners/s...eletecycle.gif

Thank you, you have been a great help... I guess time will tell is the answer.

But if it expired march 5th should it still show on whois "Status: ACTIVE". I'm just finding it unbevelable that the webmaster renewed the domain in the remdemtion period because it wasn't till after expiry date this name was renewed... If he had renewed it before it expired would it take a long time to show on whois? Sorry if I've lost you.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 03-09-2004 at 01:40 PM.

If indeed it dropped on that date then maybe Pool failed to get it.

If you PM me the domain, I can take a look and tell you exactly what is up with it.

RMF

Originally posted by Postmaster
    Thank you, you have been a great help... I guess time will tell is the answer.

But if it expired march 5th should it still show on whois "Status: ACTIVE". I'm just finding it unbevelable that the webmaster renewed the domain in the remdemtion period because it wasn't till after expiry date this name was renewed... If he had renewed it before it expired would it take a long time to show on whois? Sorry if I've lost you.
    If it "expired" on the 5th march maybe the current owner was just a couple of days late renewing - no big deal.
    Maybe pool.com have not updated the status of the domain.

The actual redemption period was a long way off if it only expired on the 5th
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Thanks to everyone....

http://www.freewho.com/checker/index.php

will tell you exactly when it will drop
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi