value of ccTLD domains?

Hi,

I was just thinking about the value of ccTLD domains such as .com.tw.

if a person has a pretty nice domain registered, what will be your perceived value just by looking at the ccTLD?

Lets say if example the .com name of the domain goes for (eg. $10,000). What will be the value of the ccTLD
    Hello World!

*generally* unless it's specifically related to the country in question, the "perceived" value is *nothing* i.e. worthless

in the uk people think of .co.uk and .com, the majority in my experience see something like .biz, .ws, .com.sg etc and totally ignore them as irrelevant.

similarly in germany they take notice of .de and .com/net/org and disregard the rest

what serious business woudl pick an esoteric domain extension unrelated to it's location or global ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

.de is even bigger than .net and so many BIG sales happened to .de domains recently.

so it really depends on the TLD itself
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

oic. Thanks for the comments. They were insightful.

I gotten a .com.tw. Hope I havent wasted my $. lol
    Hello World!

who knows, maybe taiwanian people will be interested
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

hope so

freaking good one for Open source communities.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments.
    Last edited by superfrog; 03-10-2004 at 05:08 AM.
    Hello World!

whats the domain if i may ask

Originally posted by othellotech
    *generally* unless it's specifically related to the country in question, the "perceived" value is *nothing* i.e. worthless
    With some exceptions...

There was quite a rush of people registering English verbs under .it when the Italian registry became "unrestricted" a few years ago.

I have seen Dutch web sites ending in .je (Jersey) - apparently it means something in Dutch.

Similarly, I understand that .nu means something in Swedish, and that this explains the popularity of Niue registrations there.

So... if you can have some play on words then I guess a foreign ccTLD can be worth something to some people.

many country codes are the standard used by business in the respective country, though unless you know a lot about the place as in the language, terms that are popular and selling prices of domains for that country, they are probably worth avoiding.

I would say the only exception is .tv which has more of a world wide appeal. (though limited mainly to tv stations/shows etc)

I wasn't talking about the language of the registry, I was talking about the language of the registrant - as in English speakers registering things like "forget.it" or "letit.be"

"je" is Dutch for "you"

wil.je = wants.you

Other ccTLDs that can be useful because they're a word in English :
    .to (go.to)
    .at (be.at)
    .is (this.is)
    .us (loves.us)
    .it (damn.it)
    .dj
    .tv
    .fm
    .tm
    .am (I.am)

"af" is Dutch for "off", so investing in Afghan domains could be a good business

There are others that try to sell themselves, but they make less sense :

.st (street / site)
    .cc (creditcard)
    .tk (te koop = Dutch for 'for sale')

One more that could be useful : .cd (can be useful for sites about music)

.ar would be nice shorcut for .arab , but bad they don't offer 2nd level domain and it way far from arab world

lol that would get hell of traffic eh ?

since it's a terror netword, al-qaeda.net.ar may be better

Originally posted by Gerrit
    since it's a terror netword, al-qaeda.net.ar may be better
    their terrorist organisation division: al-qaeda.org.ar

lol.
    Hello World!

Re: value of ccTLD domains?

Originally posted by superfrog
    Hi,

I was just thinking about the value of ccTLD domains such as .com.tw.

if a person has a pretty nice domain registered, what will be your perceived value just by looking at the ccTLD?

Lets say if example the .com name of the domain goes for (eg. $10,000). What will be the value of the ccTLD
    I would say don't try to fool yourself! You know what counts that counts (or something like that ). Of course it is not the same... because com was com, is com and will be com!!!!!