CanadaSpeaks.com

I just my new website public at http://www.canadaspeaks.com. It's intended to be like Slashdot, but with issues making the news in Canada.

Obviously I'd like some reviews of the sites, but also, what is a good way to get a site like this started? Do I just keep adding articles on my own with no comments on them? How do I get a decent number of memebers to have a viable community to start?

Thanks,
    Jason

There is a lot of white space up at the top.

Same with the footer.

I'm not sure the colors on the site fit for my style, but I'm the worst with colors

Overall it's pretty plain, but that can be a good thing.

As for getting started, I would reccomend just doing as you are. Let people you know know about the site, and if people like it they will begin to spread the word.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Originally posted by Jasber
    There is a lot of white space up at the top.

Same with the footer.

I'm not sure the colors on the site fit for my style, but I'm the worst with colors

Overall it's pretty plain, but that can be a good thing.

As for getting started, I would reccomend just doing as you are. Let people you know know about the site, and if people like it they will begin to spread the word.
    I agree with Jasber about the white space. It has the colours of Canada though, which is good. Also the logo text doesn't look that great because I think it's blurry or something.

Great job getting started though!

Empty white space at the top. Decent design.

Minor things that really don't affect the viewing experience.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Design is good..
    but as others have said.. way too much whitespace.
    It makes the site look blank.
    People dont want to visit a blank site..
    other than that.. good work

The 2 search boxes under your logo are not in line.

Some of the white space the others are remarking on is due to your logo's leaf. I think it is mostly due to you keeping the leaf's stem. As an alternative consider moving the leaf to the right side, scale it down a tad, and letting the "Canada Speaks" over lap the stem and a bit of the leaf for some drama.
    Serial Beggar
    Hate Your Family? Have No Friends? Make Me Your Beneficiary!