going to colocate my server...

I will be installing freeBSD on this new server...

any setup guides to follow besides the one on freebsd.org?

what are the standard configuration used by those companies offering freebsd dedicated servers? Anyone can advise?

also any issues so far with plesk 7 with freebsd ?

I have a setup guide I wrote.. but I never finished that and it's a little outdated back to 4.6 or so..

With 5.x almost ready you might consider it.. there could be some danger though.. I was going to likely throw 5.x on (even if it's not fully ready.. when I relaunch my freebsd box)

Best place to look for advice I would recommend would be here..
    http://bsdforums.com

There's lot of guides for freebsd they just tend to be somewhat outdated sometimes.. like you might follow guides for 4.0 but they'd still work for 4.9 (with tweaks) and possibly 5.x

No idea about plesk.. I'm sure some others will throw in some info though..

Plesk 7 only works on FreeBSD 4.9 and make sure you DO NOT install linux binary compatability when asked durring the install or Tomcat will not run properly.

Good luck

I'd recommend staying with FreeBSD4.9. Even though 5.x is getting better and more powerful, for now, FreeBSD4.9 is perfectly sufficient.
    John Kata

John knows what he is talking about in this case

4.9 is your best option I would feel also. Because of facts like Plesk or other programs working correctly.

Originally posted by Ophelus
    I have a setup guide I wrote.. but I never finished that and it's a little outdated back to 4.6 or so..

With 5.x almost ready you might consider it.. there could be some danger though.. I was going to likely throw 5.x on (even if it's not fully ready.. when I relaunch my freebsd box)

Best place to look for advice I would recommend would be here..
    http://bsdforums.com

There's lot of guides for freebsd they just tend to be somewhat outdated sometimes.. like you might follow guides for 4.0 but they'd still work for 4.9 (with tweaks) and possibly 5.x

No idea about plesk.. I'm sure some others will throw in some info though..
    if u don't mind, can u show me the guide you wrote?

I did mention my guide wasn't finished didn't I?

After reviewing it though.. it's for 4.7 (I guess that makes it a year old) and it only covers control via windows to FreeBSD (I use windows for my client always)

And only get's into visual control primarily and initial setup.. not say installing/compiling packages like apache

well.. if you still want to see it.. I'll put it up.. (it may be up already.. I've shared early versions of my guides before.. but I really haven't had much time to finish them.. + there's one thing on freebsd that I haven't mastered and that's email without a control panel)

Originally posted by Ophelus
    I did mention my guide wasn't finished didn't I?

After reviewing it though.. it's for 4.7 (I guess that makes it a year old) and it only covers control via windows to FreeBSD (I use windows for my client always)

And only get's into visual control primarily and initial setup.. not say installing/compiling packages like apache

well.. if you still want to see it.. I'll put it up.. (it may be up already.. I've shared early versions of my guides before.. but I really haven't had much time to finish them.. + there's one thing on freebsd that I haven't mastered and that's email without a control panel)

i will be grateful if u can put it up i am always keen to learn... even though your guide hasn't been completed

While waiting for Ophelus to post his guide, you could ask what you need help with. I'm sure no one would mind helping you
    John Kata

Originally posted by inFused
    While waiting for Ophelus to post his guide, you could ask what you need help with. I'm sure no one would mind helping you
    okies most probably i will be installing freebsd 4.9... but i am not sure if my new server will have any issue with this version. I just order dell poweredge 750 which is using SATA harddisk (I cannot find any SATA support in 4.9)

and i cannot go to 5.* as plesk doesn't support it...

FreeBSD can still use the harddrive, if you disable certain things.

When you get the server, pop in the CD, and see if it boots and opens the text GUI installer. If it does, you won't need to change anything.

If it doesn't, you'll need to disable SATA support, which can be accomplished with a few commands, and then you'll be able to install FreeBSD.

Let me know if the install doesn't work, and you need the commands.
    John Kata

So hot for my guide are we?

Well once again I reviewed my guide.. it gets a little bit more complicated then I thought.. things I seem to remember that are not in the guide..

It's best to compile the PHPmod from the command line as you can add support for mysql (client) in there and it will install apache for you..

btw installing from the ports would be like this
    cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4/
    then
    make install (may be missing a command it's been a while)

Honestly though if your going to use Plesk I'm not sure why you would need my guide..

If it's helpfull too you too.. I can post my notes.. not that they might make sense to you.. but again if it's helpful.. I doubt my guide will be of much help.. cause while I know 0 about Plesk I would assume it would take care of a lot of the installs for you?

Anyway here yah go..
    http://ophelus.net/temp/

Note for the record I don't have a FreeBSD box online right now.. I sold mine about 5-6 months ago.. I have a powerhouse of a FreeBSD box sitting right next to me.. I just haven't deployed it yet..

Ophelus, I liked that guide. The screenshots were a nice touch

d3nnis, might I also recommend visiting www.bsdforums.org? If you have any quick questions, you'll most likely find the answer there. It's a personal favorite of mine.
    John Kata

Originally posted by inFused
    Ophelus, I liked that guide. The screenshots were a nice touch

d3nnis, might I also recommend visiting www.bsdforums.org? If you have any quick questions, you'll most likely find the answer there. It's a personal favorite of mine.
    i am already in there

Originally posted by kostagr33k
    Here are a few:

http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/Guides/
    http://bsdvault.net/
    http://www.onlamp.com/bsd

Kosta
    thanks