If the root servers are reporting the right IP address and the A records for the nameserver domain's nameservers (heh - usually it is authoritative for itself) are correct, it should not be too much longer. I have waited up to a week before, but 3 or 4 days seems to be the average.
In Windows, go to the command line and type:
Does it show the proper IP address? If not, be sure to update the A records for dns3/dns4.correctdns.com on the new server(s) (and even updating the records on the old server(s) can't hurt if it hasn't switched yet).
I have the same problem,my nameservers won't resolve to their IPs after 4 days but the lookup at internic shows they are ok and pointing to the right IP and I also don't think that I have done anything wrong on my server (already doublechecked everything).I'm totally clueless.My registrar is luckyregister (a wild west domains reseller).
Do I have to change the nameserver for my nameserver domain to itself?For example the nameserver domains is 123example.com and the nameservers ns1.123example.com and ns2.123example.com.Do I have to change the nameserver for 123example.com to ns1.123example.com and ns2.123example.com ?
No, it is not required for you to do this. You can use any DNS servers that you'd like to be authoritative for the domain the nameservers are based off of. That is as long as the authoritative DNS is pointing the nameserver hostnames to the proper IP addresses. I wouldn't worry about 4 days.
I'll use the nameservers of my server provider now until my own nameservers will resolve to their IPs (which will be hopefully very soon).Just added them in the resolver config and hope this will work.
Ok I'll reply to my existing thread rather than a new one cos I'm still having the same problem.
Since I last wrote:
1. The nameservers are still displaying in verisign (http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/cg...ype=nameserver) but still not resolving from any ISP or proxy after being first set on about the 7th of March.
2. It was suggested by fastservers.net to "unlock" the doman and try setting them again. I did this, and even added DNS5 and DNS6 as well so I had a sort of fresh start. No luck on them either. That was done about the 11th.
3. I have emailed GoDaddy several times who have only really said "add entries to your zone files" and not replied since I mentioned that people weren't even getting that far because the nameserver weren't resolving.
4. I confirmed with fastservers.net that I the zone files were on the server and correct.
5. I have run out of ideas on how to fix this problem.
This is not the first time I have set child nameservers, and certainly not normal nameservers, but I'm lost here.
It appears after the entries have been made in the "root" nameservers they have become stuck and not propagated anywhere further.
Can anyone see DNS3.correctdns.com resoving? I have also set www.bodylingo.com.au to the new nameservers so when they come up theoretically so should that domain.
What would you do when everything you have studied about DNS simply isn't work in practice?
You need to add A records for dns3.correctdns.com and any other correctdns.com nameservers to the correctdns.com zone on dns1.correctdns.com and dns2.correctdns.com. Additionally, your NS records in that zone file are wrong:
$ dig correctdns.com ns @188.8.131.52
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns2.
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns1.
If you are using BIND, delete the trailing periods from "dns1." and "dns2." so that correctdns.com will be automatically appended to the ends.
Yes. dns1 and dns2 are authoritative for correctdns.com. This means that any hostname in the correctdns.com domain must be listed in the correctdns.com zone file on dns1 and dns2. It doesn't matter whether it's a DNS server or a web server; it needs an A record on dns1 and dns2.
; Modified by Web Host Manager
; Zone File for correctdns.com
@ 14400 IN SOA dns1. root.server.correctdns.com. (
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns1
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns2
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns3
correctdns.com. 14400 IN NS dns4
correctdns.com. 14400 IN A 184.108.40.206
localhost.correctdns.com. 14400 IN A 127.0.0.1
correctdns.com. 14400 IN MX 0 correctdns.com.
mail 14400 IN CNAME correctdns.com.
www 14400 IN CNAME correctdns.com.
ftp 14400 IN A 220.127.116.11
dns1 14400 IN A 18.104.22.168
dns2 14400 IN A 22.214.171.124
dns3 14400 IN A 126.96.36.199
dns4 14400 IN A 188.8.131.52
I have deleted the trailing periods from the dns's, added NS records for dns3 and dns4, and added A records for them.
If you're going to include NS records for all four servers, you should update the delegations for correctdns.com at your registrar to include ns3 and ns4. If you do this, you need to make sure that ns3 and ns4 are serving the same data as ns1 and ns2 -- currently, they're not.