* Review: TailoredServers

Well, I've been with TailoredServers since December, and have been reselling for them since the end of January. Here's my review of them so far:

Sales: 10/10
    Jose is always very quick to get back to me on any sales related questions. They're very willing to work with you on custom plans & what would work best for you. Juane also made a significant number of modifications to their helpdesk system to accomadate our needs without any charge - what more could you ask for?

Pricing: 8/10
    Pricing is slightly higher than other budget providers, but kernel upgrades are included for free, as well as some custom options that we've discussed. Initial hardware & upgrade pricing is great - unfortunately, their Dual Xeons are priced a little too high for me (but that's not a big deal).

Network: 7/10
    Right now, the choice is either Yipes or HE.net. They'll have it setup as a failover configuration shortly, but it's still a choice between one or the other. HE has some peering issues in Dallas since they just got in there, but that should iron itself out soon. They're most likely going to pull in ThePlanet bandwidth at a slight monthly premium fee, which will be a nice addition. HE got DDOSed the other day & was down for a short period of time, but the failover service is being setup shortly so downtime on one line won't affect everything else.

Setup: 10/10
    All but one server has been setup within 36 hours. The server that wasn't setup within 36 hours was a Celeron that kept crashing - Jose replaced the RAM and tested for a while, but it crashed again. A short time after that, Jose told me that he'd need to run out & get another Celeron processor for the server (since they don't normally stock them) - he did offer to put a P4 2.66Ghz processor until the Celeron came in, but I wasn't in any rush. Less than a day later, the server was up & running perfectly. They did forget to install one thing, but after notifying them, it was done in about 10 minutes. Great service.

Support: No Rating
    Haven't really needed support yet, can't give it a rating. With the basic things that I've needed, they've been fast though. What I love about TMS is that reverse DNS is controlable directly from the helpdesk, as well as MRTG, bandwidth usage & remote reboot ports. The only thing that they don't have is a reboot-via-email system, so I'm programming that now It's nice to be able to do everything in one central location.

Jose has also been EXTREMELY flexible when working with us on our new remote backup services. I don't think that there's anything TMS won't do to make a customer happy Things are looking great for the future. I may be a little biased because I'm a reseller, but I've contacted & tested many other companies before - TMS comes out on the top of my list. I have two of my own servers with them, as well as a bunch of resold servers. I'm happy & my clients are happy too.

- Matt
    Last edited by mainarea; 03-08-2004 at 09:47 PM.

Forgot to mention - their website is http://www.tailoredservers.com/ . The servers that we have with them are www.focalservers.com (P4 2.4, 512MB RAM) and backup1.focalservers.com (Celeron 2.4, 512MB RAM).

- Matt

Nice review Matt, nice to see someone not bashing a host
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Nice review, and about there dual xeon pricing, they're having a sale and this is what they have:

Dual Xeon 2.4GHz (Each CPU has Hyperthreding)
    512MBs DDR RAM
    36GB 10K RPM SCSI HDD
    750 Gigs Premium Bandwidth
    Free Remote Reboot Access
    MRTG Graphs & 24/7 Monitoring
    $209/mo. + FREE Setup!

Really good pricing, a real bargain.

Excellent review, and I hope they get their redundancy in place soon, for your sake . Also, I look forward to your follow up after being with them for 6 months!
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Just thought I'd add a bit to this review.

I've been with them since November. I've had little or no downtime since then. All my servers (4) were set up within 24 hours. The network is always running great.

There is no phone support, but Jose responds to his AIM and trouble ticket system in a timely manner. Nothing to complain about. Very helpful and friendly.

Invoices are sent on the day the payment is due. They accept Paypal and Credit cards. They're very lenient with everything. And like Matt said, they've got a great control panel. Perldesk trouble ticket system, APC reboot, MRTG, reverse DNS, server IP listing, billing, and user administration.

Hats off to TMS!

I've been with TMS since about September now, they've only been great to me.

At one point, SMART was throwing out a bunch of HDD errors. Jose offered to pull out the old drive and set it as slave, while putting in a new drive of the same spec as master for free.

Luckily SMART just turned out to be throwing a fit for no reason, and this never needed to happen. However the fact that they offered this to me made me respect them a little bit more.

I've only had one other problem in regards to my server, and that was when a rogue script ate up all the memory available on my server, Jose went in and discovered this and quickly rebooted the system (Lost HelpDesk Pass, Unable To Retrieve Via Email), telling me the problem.

I love their online control panel, MRTF and APC reboot is great.

In terms of their network, I've always pushed great speeds, sometimes in excess of 2.5MB/s. It averages out at between 800KBPS and 1.5MB/s at peak times, but that's great for me.

I got in on a WHT promo, so pricing is good for me to.

Where are they located?

Dallas, in TP.