Hard Drive Problems

I apologise for posting so many technical questions here, but I always found there's someone out there who can help me; thanks to everyone

This time it's my harddrive!

I've juist built my own computer, and everything works perfectly. Although, when I view my 200gb specs in 'My Computer' It quotes the size as being 169gb. I know that Windows always quotes the size lower, but surely not 31gb!

I think I have accidentaly partioned it, although I can only see one harddrive in My Computer. Is there any way to find out, and if so, how do I unpartition it without losing my existing files?

Many thanks in advance.
    Jon

You should be able to check the partitions in fdisk, but be very very careful.

damn 90 second rule... and again...
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Why do you say "be very very careful"? What could happen?
    Jon

You hit the wrong button and you can just format the partition that you are using. Although it will prolly say "are you sure", just be careful.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]

I ran fdisk, and selected 'partition details'

I had two partitions, one was called 'Ext' or something similiar. I deleted the 'Ext' one, but the problem still remains.

Any Ideas?
    Jon

You still need to change the current partition's size to take care of all that extra space.
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]

Can you tell me how?

Thanks.
    Jon

your hd should be 195.3125 gb

post your fdisk results..
    screenshot would do

Originally posted by Xshare
    You hit the wrong button and you can just format the partition that you are using. Although it will prolly say "are you sure", just be careful.
    Well actually that is not right. Yes you could elect to remove "remove partion" but that takes several key strokes and then a reboot before it actually happens. Fdisk DOESN"T Format it is used to Partion .

If you go to 4. "display partion infomation"

That will tell you how many partions you have got. It will also tell you whether c: is 100% or 90% etc. It may well be you have a small partion but it hasn't been given a drive letter and hasn't been formated.

You can't do any damage while looking at choice 4. If you take your time and read each step carefully before pushing buttons you won't have any problems.

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 03-08-2004 at 08:15 PM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Thanks Doc.

If you go to 4. "display partion infomation"
    I did this, and it shows I have one partition, taking 89% of the harddrive. How can I go about changing this to 100%

Thanks again.
    Jon

Originally posted by jonathanbull
    Thanks Doc.

I did this, and it shows I have one partition, taking 89% of the harddrive. How can I go about changing this to 100%

Thanks again.
    Well if the hard disk is still empty ... no operating system on it then you can use fdisk and remove the partion, once the partion has been rmoved you then repartion it making sure it uses 100% . If you already have an Operating system and you don;t want to start over then there is programs that can do it "on the fly" however I don't think it would be worth the hastle.

Your other alternative is to set up the 20% as a virtual drive.. i.e. D: using fdisk then format it.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

If you already have an Operating system and you don;t want to start over then there is programs that can do it "on the fly"
    Yes, I do already have an operating system, installed and many files.

It is fairly important that I do have the full capacity, so can you recommend a program that can "do it on the fly?"

Thanks.
    Jon

Partion magic is one that comes to mind. Why can you just have a second drive, that way you get full use of your hard disk. You can set the second drive up on the HD without touching c: at all. All your current files and operating sytem are left in tact and it will only take five minutes.

DOC
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

You relize that 200Gb != 200Gb ? Hard Driver makers cheat, They round up and use 1000Mb = 1 Gig when it really doesnt

Example:
    1Gig Byte is 1073741824 Bytes
    100Megabytes is 1048576000
    You said 200Gigabyte?

So thats by real stanards
    "214748364800 Bytes"

But by Hard Drive makers "stanards" its

Yep my math still doesnt add up to a 31Gig lost, well I tried
    But yea thats

paul.. i counted it..
    he should have
    195.3125 gb
    I posted it somewhere ^ there

PaulTech ..We have already establish that he is only using 89% of his drive. 11% is sitting in limbo.

jonathanbull, sorry I said 80% and 20% before I didn't read your post correctly. I should have said 89% and 11%

My brain isn't funtioning real good, I have a headache. I am not accustomed to headaches. I didn't even get drunk so why the hell I got a head ache I will never know. The rest of the infomation I gave you was sound.

Laurie aka Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by ilyash
    paul.. i counted it..
    he should have

I posted it somewhere ^ there
    How did you count it.

to count it we need.

Cyliners = ?
    Heads = ?
    sectors = ?
    magic number = 512

cylinders x Heads x sectors x 512 = some great big long number.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I just managed to make a 2nd drive, so now I have an 89% (c) and an 11% (d) drive. How can I merge the two to make one drive?
    Jon

I just managed to make a 2nd drive, so now I have an 89% (c) and an 11% (d) drive. How can I merge the two to make one drive?
    yes @ thedcotor sorry I didnt read all the post

Well, He has MBR, Partion Tables, Bad Cluster Matrix, Still doesnt add up... strange, We are missing part of the puzzle here

That's where you need something like partion magic. We all have different ways of using our HD however I am interested to know why you seem so set on only having one drive. I personally use about 4 or 5.

I for OS and installed programs.
    1 for music
    1. for movies
    1. for downloaded files etc (still in there compressed for)
    1. for tempory back up of customers data.

I find it easier and safer to keep things segregated. If my OS becomes so corrupted I need to reformat then all my other drives are still left in tact.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

That's where you need something like partion magic. We all have different ways of using our HD however I am interested to know why you seem so set on only having one drive.
    I don't know, I've just always prefered having one drive. I think I might consider having more than 1 in the future, but just for now, I'd like one.

I downloaded partition magic, and it displayed both of my drives as C and F. It says it cannot merge them as the F drive is NTFS instead of FAT32, which the C drive is.

How can I change the F drive to a FAT32 dirve?

Many Thanks.
    Jon

I don't know, I've just always prefered having one drive. I think I might consider having more than 1 in the future, but just for now, I'd like one.

I downloaded partition magic, and it displayed both of my drives as C and F. It says it cannot merge them as the F drive is NTFS instead of FAT32, which the C drive is.

Many Thanks.
    You are better off converting C to NTFS.

at the dos prompt

convert C: /NTFS

(it is not possible to convert NTFS to FAT32...only the other way around)

Simon

Many Thanks.
    Well without looking at it myself you have got me a bit stumped. I don't know how you managed to end up with an ntfs drive. You said you used fdisk and fdisk is specifically for FAT 16/32 and all things being equal it should have ended up being D: drive.

I have seen stranger things happen. I once had acustomer partion his hard disk Twice. both 100% both c: eventually I managed to remove BOTH single partions and then repartion it.

If it really is NTFS I am starting to think the only way to fix it properly is to start from scratch. i.e. redo the lot. But as I said it is hard to be sure without seeing it.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty