load balancing via symlink?

I have a very active image hosting server. We recently added another server so we could explore the option of load balancing between the two machines.

In a brief nutshell, it a cpanel box that has one site, and in that site's /home directory, /user directoryies are created by a script for each customer who needs image hosting. The main problem is we are using a lot of memory and other resources, causing loads to be high and the server to sometimes be unreliable.

We were considering a rewrite to the script that just creates the /user accounts on the other server and hosting them over an IP or other domain. My question is it possible to perhaps let one server process the PHP and mysql and the other to handle the Apache and the other "stuff"

Any thought or ideas are appreciated.

GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response 24/7/365

For an image hosting server, have you considered running something like Tux or thttpd? Something small and fast designed for delivering mass amounts of static content. Tux can be run as the default webserver and I believe can be configured to forward requests it cannot handle, i.e. dynamic content, to the Apache server. I wonder if a second box is even necessary if not just for spreading the bandwidth load.

Well the bandwidth isnt a problem too much, we are incorporating things like image magick to scale down huge images before they are delivered since it is needed anyway.

Do you have any docs on Tux or thttpd?

I am still entertaining suggestions. Thanks KapnShak
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response 24/7/365