Im starting to like the looks of Linux

I recently went to a tech conference and they gave me a bootable CD of Mandrake Move. I was looking at it and I really kinda liked it. So I was wondering if a dual boot would be alright for someone just wanting to learn linux and whatnot? Also what linux should I try (which one is most popular/best)

What would you say?
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Yes absolutly dual boot. I dd that till I learned linux. Also I would use mandrake to learn. Redhat is also a good one, but since they are moving all consumer desktops to fedora I would not reccomend it.

Mandrake is the best for a new user.

Re: Im starting to like the looks of Linux

Originally posted by theqase
    I recently went to a tech conference and they gave me a bootable CD of Mandrake Move. I was looking at it and I really kinda liked it. So I was wondering if a dual boot would be alright for someone just wanting to learn linux and whatnot? Also what linux should I try (which one is most popular/best)

What would you say?

I used to dual boot win2k with Mandrake. But now, I do winxp with fedora.

You should try Mandrake. It's REAL EASY to install and setup.

Yeah, I like Mandrake - it's a good "newbie friendly" distro. SuSE is as well. I started with both of them.

And although you can dual boot with em, if it was me I'd get a seperate machine to run it on. I base this on when I picked up and learned linux, about 6 years ago. At the time things weren't as smooth as they are now with the install and such - and I had a lot of problems. It's a pain in the *** when your network isn't working right and you have to reboot to get into Windows - get the info you need, write/print it out, then reboot back into Linux and hope they gave you the right info and you didn't leave anything out.

Odds are you won't have that problem - I don't think I have had it for years now, the network has always just worked, but if you have the spare PC go for it. You'll also learn a lot faster if you dedicate a machine to it - sort of 'forcing' you to use it more.
    Jeremy D. Pavleck (jjpavleck(AT)GMail(dot)com)
    Over 10 years of Systems Management experience, at a discount!
    http://www.pavleck.com

I would have to at least dual boot for now... until i get my new computer, because this one here is the only one that is fully MINE. Except the one at the office, but the hard drive isnt that big.

Couple questions though...

how would i connect to the internet? easy with any DUN type settings?

and and windows programs? would i need something like WINE to run them or no?

Thanks...

Internet Connection
    If your lan card is compatible, it usually autodetects, depending on Distro
    Windows Progs
    There are many alternative nix versions, and if one cannot be found, WINE is always an option

LAN... haha.. youre talking to someone on dial-up here...

oh i see..
    What provider do you have?
    lets hope its not AOL
    because linux [internet] doesnt work with aol

no its not aol.. its a cheap Dial-up provider...

[got hit with 90 seconds .. ARRRGGHHHH] [2x]

heres a fairly good tutorial
    http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/modem/configu...ppp-howto.html

NO not Dual Boot

why is everybody so set on using dual boot. It doesn't make sense.

Set your computer up with a couple of removable hard disk mounts(draws). Get a second Hard disk ... hard disk are very cheap Put each operating system on seperate hard disks. Just take which ever operating system you want and insert the appropriate Hard disk. It is very easy to change hard disks.

When you are learning Linux if your using a seperate hard disk you don't have any worry that you may accidently corrupt the other OS.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    hard disk are very cheap
    I disagree. Not all of us can as easily afford another hard drive.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

If you are really new to Linux I recommend two things:

The first one, use a Linux where you will truly LEARN how to use the OS, as in Debian or Slackware.
    Granted, they are a pain to install and use (well, for newbies), but once you master that, you will not have any kind of trouble again using Linux
    And the second one, use something like VMWare at first to get familiar with the installation process, setup and configuration BEFORE you actually install it. VMWare has a 30 day free trial, it should be enough to get used to it.

Originally posted by Xshare
    I disagree. Not all of us can as easily afford another hard drive.
    You can get a second hand 20 or 30 Gig Hd for around $20 . If you can't afford twenty dollars then go ahead use dual boot. even though.

!. It reduces the available size for your original OS.
    2. You risk corupting the entire HD.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

On the boot CD of the Mandrake Move, there was no option of saving to the HD (obviously, because it was booted off of the CD), however, where is the Hard Drive (file location-wise) on linux... as if i wanted to save somthing?

also.... is there a 'soft' way of switching hard drives? as in 'select 1 to boot Windows off of drive 1 --- select 2 to boot linux off of drive 2"?

Originally posted by Maquiavelo
    If you are really new to Linux I recommend two things:

The first one, use a Linux where you will truly LEARN how to use the OS, as in Debian or Slackware.
    Granted, they are a pain to install and use (well, for newbies), but once you master that, you will not have any kind of trouble again using Linux
    And the second one, use something like VMWare at first to get familiar with the installation process, setup and configuration BEFORE you actually install it. VMWare has a 30 day free trial, it should be enough to get used to it.
    I agree with the VMWare-install first, to get used to it's setup program, but I do disagree with jumping into Debian or Slackware.

You want your learning experience to be gradual, not thrown into something that you have never used and probably won't understand. If you do jump right to Debian or Slackware, you're more likely to give up before even installing the OS.
    John Kata

If you do jump right to Debian or Slackware, you're more likely to give up before even installing the OS.
    That is why my friend I said if you truly want to LEARN linux.

The first time I installed Linux was Slackware 1 or something, several thousands of years ago, I cursed all night long (It was a Pentium I 133Mhz I remember)but in the end, I installed it,and I was feeling so satisfied.
    Installing something like Mandrake or Red Hat is really no brainier, that's why if you TRULY ,REALLY, HONESTLY want to learn Linux AND HAVE THE PATIENCE to handle the bad stuff (because it will happen), then go with Debian or Slackware

That's a good point. Sorry for overlooking it.

I'd personally tell a beginner to start off with Mandrake, learn the basics of the Linux operating system. Get more advanced and move to a more advanced distro (maybe Gentoo). Get used to that, then move to something like Debian or Slackware.

However, each person learns differently. Some individuals would learn better using your way, some would learn better my why.

Again, you do have an excellent point there.
    John Kata