Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i'm one of the cheap idiots who like the whole world for $5. in my case, $3. i figure by the time i paid $10-$15 a month to someone else for a year (total of $120+), all i'd require from a $3 host ($36/year) is three months of service before it basically pays for itself. if i can get the same service, same hosting specs, and pay less, i'll go for it.

then again, i haven't been burned with my money (yet?). even when 2mhost dropped their windows servers, they refunded my money, which is surprising after reading all the negatives against them on hosting forums. which i guess goes to show that even "bad" companies have ethics sometimes.
    ~ bttrflii

Originally posted by flii
    i'm one of the cheap idiots who like the whole world for $5. in my case, $3. i figure by the time i paid $10-$15 a month to someone else for a year (total of $120+), all i'd require from a $3 host ($36/year) is three months of service before it basically pays for itself. if i can get the same service, same hosting specs, and pay less, i'll go for it.

then again, i haven't been burned with my money (yet?). even when 2mhost dropped their windows servers, they refunded my money, which is surprising after reading all the negatives against them on hosting forums. which i guess goes to show that even "bad" companies have ethics sometimes.

It was a joke, right?
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

nope. all true. if you want proof, i'm on aim or you can pm me.
    ~ bttrflii

Nah, I believe you.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.

I agree with your points to the original poster, however the strange thing is the majority of my clients love the yearly plan.

Re: It amazes me that people pay for a year at a time...

Originally posted by WhereToLook
    I absolutely do NOT understand why aynyone would pay for a full YEAR of web hosting.
    I signed up for a year with my first paid host for a couple of reasons.

1. I figured a paid host would be better than a free host.
    2. I am not sure now if the host I went with had monthly options, but if they did, I would have paid the year so I didn't have to think about it for a year.
    3. I didn't know about forums such as these (or forums period) or that shonky hosts even existed.

Okay, I struck it lucky, and in the meantime, I discovered webmaster forums and started doing price comparisons and hosts behaviour on such forums well before my year was up. I have paid yearly since

Hehe, interesting thread.

I am one of those newbies who didn't know better. I bought my domain before I had started my current job which I've been in for almost a year. Although I was a 'techie' before I started the job, I obviously wasn't very webhost savvy because I bought a domain registered for 2 years and 1 years hosting with supanames.co.uk of all people... for something like £24 altogether.

Doh.

I've actually never ever had a problem with them, even with the whole unlimited bandwidth rubbish because I wanted a cheap deal and I get what I pay for. Not much functionality, but I don't use the site much and it uses hardly 9mb. So suits it's purpose really.

But I can testify that generally when you're buying your first domain, you don't know about places like this and you don't know what to expect. I do now haha, but we all learn from our mistakes

As long as you use 10 mb...I don't think you would have much problem.

Problem arises when you or others on your server start to use more. ( which is bound to happen sooner or later )

Exactly. I'm dreading the day, I actually recently started a photo album and... well. Let's jsut say I'm just WAITING for the *bleep* to hit the fan. Can't wait *sarcasm*

3. I didn't know about forums such as these (or forums period) or that shonky hosts even existed.
    That's the main reason why people don't take the necessary precautions before signing up for a host. And when they find out (first hand) that shonky hosts do exist, it's like they've been hit with a baseball bat in the head. Would you make an important decision within an hour after you were hit in the head like that? No! But they do! They find a new host so fast... I wonder how they do it.

Greetings:

We have hosting customers that pay yearly.

A. They either signed up for quartlery, and then switched after a few quarters.

OR

B. They came referred from some one who was with us for years; and they decided to base their trust on that factor.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

countrys where creditcard where not reacheable?

Hi
    iam really surprised by this discussion of 1 year offer.
    if u take developing countries like african countries and asian countries like pakistan/bangladesh/srilanka/india there is no credit card system as such very famous like in usa and europe.
    so there only yearly payments dominates than monthly.
    so expect dedicated server all individuals pay yearly only there.
    if u say pay by monthly we have collect the money litreally or tell them to deposit in bank the money everymonth which is RIDICULOUS the client itself will pay yearly.
    so this kind of monthly billing is suitable only for countries where credit card payment is dominant.
    so this kind of discussions of monthly billing will be irrelevant to coutries which i have mentioned above.
    for me this topic is primarily for developed countries.
    In countries like india if u come ask monthly billing for clients they will be laughing at the webhosting provider as it will be tedious for customers to pay everymonth in bank or by demand draft...

Still... losing a the money you paid for a year of hosting is not very good... Even in those countries (and I know because I live in Eastern Europe) you should test the host a few months before you pay for a whole year. The loss is a lot greater in those contries too because:

1. It's one thing to lose $100 in a country where the income is $2000/month and a totally other thing if when it's $200/month

2. Hosting tends to be more expensive in those countries compared to US and even other developed countries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12