Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many accounts do you put on a server?

I just wanted to get answers from various web hosts. Just a poll actually. How many shared/reseller accounts do you put per server? What kind of server do you have? What is the average accoutn size? Do you balance the accounts between your servers?
    Lee W.

tbh i dont have a set number of accounts that i put on a server. I usually wait for the load in cPanel to start reaching 1.0, and then I fire up a new server for future clients. I find this keeps things under control and running fast and smoothly all the time.

My minimum spec servers are Intel P4 2.4Ghz/1024mb RAM and I can usually fit at least 100 accounts per server comfortably. On the higher end Xeons that i have, I can fit 2 - 3 times the amount usually.

But remember, every website will use different resources etc so you will find the figure will vary
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Yeah. I wasn't asking to know for my firm. I actually also monitor the load as you do. I just wanted to have an idea of what other hosts do.
    Lee W.

Difers for every host particularly depending on your market.

But as above, we monitor the server load.

Depends on the server, 512M server with like a Celeron or low end P4 I wouldn't go much over about 80-100 domains, bump up to 1024M ram you can go around 200, go high end P4 with HT and 1024M you can probably get about 300, dual Xeon 2 or more gigs and you can probably get 400-500 or more depending on control panel and of course, depending on your target client. Also using good SCSI drives can bump up the # of domains as well, since SCSI's still are better at hard usage than IDE.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Sash! That 1.0 As in last 1 minute processes that have been waiting for the CPU? BEcause thats hardley anything!

Regards

DislexiK
    "You donít learn to hack, you hack to learn"

Anywhere between 1 account and 500 accounts.

Your question is like asking "How many people can fit in a room". There are too many variables to even begin to answer that question.
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I base it on the server load as well. Makes it easier

I've wondered this myself a few times, and I think what the original poster has asked is how many DO YOU put on a server? Not how do you do it, or how should I go about doing it but what's your average - from experience.

Example:

Total Clients / Number of servers = Average
    (Excluding any part full servers that you're filling at the moment)

Then go on to give a rough idea of the hardware you use and the accounts you sell.

HTH

I don't think our average would be an accurate answer because the range can be so great depending on the server we are talking about. For instance, some servers that are serving our clients on smaller shared hosting plans might have a couple hundred accounts; while another server assigned to high-volume acccounts will have less than 10 customers/sites on it.

As others have mentioned, the load/CPU usage/resources are what determine those numbers.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Well...
    We don't oversell and we only fill 75% of the resources available on the server.

This leaves 25% for people to grow into if they need it.

I judge it by server load as well, you can fit hundreds of really low traffic sites easy enough, but it still only takes one really busy one to require some attention.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Over here in Malaysia most of the webhost put in 800-1200 account per server.

Originally posted by certify
    Over here in Malaysia most of the webhost put in 800-1200 account per server.
    WOW ill avoid malaysian webhosts then

Anyway, i think judging the number of accounts by load on the CPU would be most appropriate. Often it isnt the bandwidth but load that slows things down.... when you reach a constant 1... time to get a new server

I pack them in until I see little people hanging out the sides of the server then its time to pack another

not really depends on the sites and the plans on them usually around 100 to 150 but can be is low as 75 depending on the load.

For those hosts that run a server load of around 1.0 please answer these questions.

1. What does the server load spike up to when updatedb runs daily?

2. What does the server load spike to if you backup daily to a secondary hdd? I use cpanel's backup feature to backup all accounts daily to a local secondary drive, with offsite rsync backup weekly.

I am curious to know what sort of spikes you get with these tasks and how long your upcp runs for (for those using cpanel, this script runs daily and also runs the cpanel backup).

You can guess that I don't allow my servers to run at anywhere near a normal server load of 1.0 - but then, I've just been doing some analysis of my gross margin per server - yikes!

Originally posted by freakysid
    . . . You can guess that I don't allow my servers to run at anywhere near a normal server load of 1.0 - but then, I've just been doing some analysis of my gross margin per server - yikes!
    Are you looking to add more accounts to your server/s, so as to improve the profitability of your server/s?

improved profitability is the aim Bob. Adding more accounts to my existing servers is one thing I am looking at, as well as my product mix, pricing, etc.

Hello!

This is not an answer on a single server, but on a reseller account.

I have about sixty 500 mb/month and 50 mb space accounts on a 10 MB bandwidth/month, 1 gb space reseller account. (yes, I am overusing/overselling)

I monitor the useage in WHM of course, and can upgrade the reseller account( keep in mind that a server is not as easily upgraded) if I hit the roof on the space or bandwidth.

Useage now is 850 mb space and 5 GB bandwidth/month.

Thanks,

Originally posted by developer

I have about sixty 500 mb/month and 50 mb space accounts on a 10 MB bandwidth/month, 1 gb space reseller account. (yes, I am overusing/overselling)
    I'm pretty sure you meant to say 10GB bandwidth/month, 1GB disk space reseller account. And that is a pretty impressive amount of overselling, if I do say so myself.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Yeah you better watch that overselling.

schmeg007: Yes, you are correct.

Kritical: I will. It feels ok for me since I have the ability and funds to upgrade the account if needed.

With DELL 2650, 2G, Dual Xeon 2.8, we put about 500, why it's so low? This is also ensure your client is always happy. Don't try to squeez every bit and you will lose a big chunk.

Originally posted by bcbcbc
    With DELL 2650, 2G, Dual Xeon 2.8, we put about 500, why it's so low? This is also ensure your client is always happy. Don't try to squeez every bit and you will lose a big chunk.
    Is that 500 separate paying clients?

I'm entering the single domain market shortly, and will only be running with 100 actual domains/accounts per server. I like the idea of spreading risk over more servers.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Is that 500 separate paying clients?

I'm entering the single domain market shortly, and will only be running with 100 actual domains/accounts per server. I like the idea of spreading risk over more servers.

Using a sensible limit that is set through experience and testing is far more suitable than not adding new accounts when the load hits X.

A snapshot at any one time may give a higher or lower load than at another time due to different running processes. How can you 'not add any more accounts when the load hits 1' because that figure is constantly fluctuating?

Some of the logic used by today's hosts still never ceases to amaze me.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

How many accounts do you put on a server?
    one, sometimes more

entirely dependant on what we've sold. we follow a few simple principles to calculate it ...
    * undersell space leaving at least 20% free for people wanting to upgrade
    * never oversell the bandwidth - people will use it all, some will exceed there limits, some will exceed them by a *lot*
    * dont overload the server - if you get regluar high loads for anything other than say logrotate etc, then it's possibly doing to much - investigate, move accounts, get another box ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

You'll enjoy it compared to what you're done previously. Each 'account' with a single user.. single domain. Actually I'll think you'll find you can go a lot higher than 100 users on the machines you're used to without worrying about loads.

Makes it a lot easier bringing out new boxes knowing that everyone's locked into a set limit without risking the additional 'pressure' the reseller accounts can cause.

If you get that thing up and running you'll soon find out why I always have a smile on my face... none of those reseller types.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

If you want to maximize the profitability of your servers, target small to medium businesses as your clients. They make up 90% of my client base, and they use barely any resources or bandwidth.

Very few of my clients break 100 megs of storage space or 100 megs of bandwidth per month.

Most hosts will not admit to the real numbers on a public board, because a lot of cutomers will think that numbers like 200 or 300 are too high.

I will though:

On our main brand we put up to 300 accounts.
    We always have done.
    Fill them to 300 and then move onto the next server.
    As some accounts are deleted others will use more resources.
    A year or so later come back to the server and see if any can be added to it.
    Server loads are normally under 0.5.

On our cheap brand we put 100 sites per server. The reason for this is that it tends to attract higher bandwidth/usage sites. Also we don't have to be as proactive in maintaining the servers (don't need to keep them fine tuned). Plus, el cheapo customers are more prone to going ballistic if their site goes down. So by putting only 100 per server we limit the fallout from one machine going offline.

On our reseller servers we sell in blocks, allowing up to 300 accounts per server, but because of the need for resellers to add accounts in the future the actual number per server rarely goes above 200.

Putting 300 average sized web sites on a Pentium 4 server is not a problem. If we do get a user who starts using massive amounts of processing resources the usage is normally so high he would not be suitable for shared server hosting of any kind.

Thats my experience, and its a policy which has served us well for a few years now.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Just to add to that:

None of the servers with 300 account son it uses more than 100 GB per month.
    The average customer usage was about 150MB per month the last time I worked it out.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

Very smart idea. We usually limit our shared servers to 150 max clients. This has the advantages of:

- Less eggs in any one basket (hard drive fails, computer burns up, etc...) equals less clients that get affected.
    - Plenty of extra hard drive space and CPU processing to allow for growth and slashdots.
    - Based on years of experience for our type of clients, 150 or so works out great in terms of profit and stability.

- John C.

Originally posted by akashik
    You'll enjoy it compared to what you're done previously. Each 'account' with a single user.. single domain. Actually I'll think you'll find you can go a lot higher than 100 users on the machines you're used to without worrying about loads.

Makes it a lot easier bringing out new boxes knowing that everyone's locked into a set limit without risking the additional 'pressure' the reseller accounts can cause.

If you get that thing up and running you'll soon find out why I always have a smile on my face... none of those reseller types.
    You're just boring....
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

You can have resellers with locked limits as well.
    Thats what we do.

Originally posted by akashik

Yep. I'll be using Dual XEONs with a good chunk of RAM.
    . . . If you get that thing up and running you'll soon find out why I always have a smile on my face... none of those reseller types.
    hehe.

I put 400All my servers are Dell PowerEdge boxes.

On Ensim PRO, DirectAdmin and Plesk boxes I put 500-600 shared OR 20-50 reseller accounts per server, depending on which packages they are and how much resources each client uses (yes, we do oversell slightly, but keep a very close eye on things and tend to tell clients to downgrade their package instead of oversell most of the time).

On the CPanel boxes we put 450-550 shared or 20-45 reseller accounts per server. We find that CPanel starts to becomeless reliable and we get higher loads if we try and go over this mark.

On our Windows 2003 Helm/Ensim boxes we put 300-450 shared or 15-40 resellers per server. Go over and it simply doesn't cope.

Could you give an idea of the specs of each of your cPanel boxes? and their relative accounts (in terms of disk space and bandwidth) and how long have these accounts been on the server? What's the average load and peak load of these?

Just curious as the numbers seem pretty high - but it evidently works for you.

TIA

We now use Direct Admin and limit our servers to 150 to 250 domains depending on whether it is reseller or shared hosting. I prefer to keep site counts down on a per server basis and spread the load over more servers. We are using Dell Poweredge servers.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    You're just boring....
    Boring is good for us old folks.

So your coming back Aussue Bob :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast