Opteron Game Server?

I'm about to buy another Dedicated server for game servers, and I'm wondering Has anyone run game servers on an opteron? Because I'm interested in one and I'm just wondering what its comparable to....

Thanks,
    Joseph Blossom

from what i understand opterons are a bit better than xeons.

*I am actaully interested to hear how Dual Opterons 240s compare to Dual 2.8Ghz Xeons if anyone would like to share their experience.
    Last edited by webephex; 03-07-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Originally posted by webephex
    from what i understand opterons are a bit better than xeons.

*I am actaully interested to hear how Dual Opterons 240s compare to Dual 2.8Ghz Xeons if anyone would like to share their experience.
    I'd like to know this, as well.
    John Kata

IT would depend on how the server is setup, and the os and game they are running.

In theory though theh opterons should have the advantage if setup correctly.

Well, I'm about to buy/rent a dual 240 opteron with 2 gb of ram and I already have a dual xeon, so I'll tell you guys what I find out.

Keep us informed. I'm not ready to give up the Xeons but if they prove to be that much better...

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    Well, I'm about to buy/rent a dual 240 opteron with 2 gb of ram and I already have a dual xeon, so I'll tell you guys what I find out.
    From what ive ~ priced out (IDEs and 2GBRAM):

Dual Xeons 2.4 $1500
    Dual Xeons 2.8 $1750
    Dual Xeons 3.0 $2100
    Dual Opterons 240 $2000
    Dual Opterons 244 $2500
    Dual Opterons 248 $3000

So with that said I'm trying to figure out what is the best VALUE for CPU power/$ for a game server machine?

and Just out of curiousty why are intels used so much more than AMDs?

From those figures I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading from the Xeons just yet until the pricing comes down a bit..

You have to ask yourself for the extra $500 or so more for the Opterons will they perform THAT much better? Game servers are all about how many you can run effectively per machine.

One UT server for example on a P4 2.4 will run the same as one UT server on a Dual Xeon.

Now if the Opterons allow you to put a few more clients on each machine then it may be a better solution and worth the extra $$$

Originally posted by webephex
    and Just out of curiousty why are intels used so much more than AMDs? [/B]

They simply have had a much stronger and reliable presence in the server market. Probably out of the whole AMD heat issues thing for one. That and AMD never hand a server class CPU until the Opterons.

Yes i know i currently run a few Dual Xeon boxes. I'm just hoping that the % of extra servers you could fit would more than = the % of extra money you spend.

Yeah i have the same problem, We are always buying new machines and i would hate to spend the money on the Xeons and find out that the Opterons run alot better..

So who's going to be the pioneer?

my next box in NJ will be a dual opteron 248 I'll let you guys know

Looking forward to your reply
    John Kata

might be awhile Ive got 2 more dell 2.8s to fill

hahaha yeah same here. I ordered 3 of those last week... I better start advertising better!

Well, Hopefully within a week, I'll have mine...

Jake i know you work for ********** but do you also run a game server business?

out of curiousty whats the name / site if you do?

dont forget the opteron runs 64bit also, so it's got longevity (and the ability to run 64bit optimized programs like Half-Life Dedcated Servers may also be a selling point)

webephex - I started off doing gameservers now its pretty handsoff for me as I got a really good tech and I work almost exclusively on **********.

www.lockedonhosting.net

o, ive actaully seen that site before - looks good.

BTW on the topic of server hardware, do you think SCSI harddrives are really needed for gaming servers? They seem so expensive and i dont really understand the difference between them and IDEs that well.

thanks

No, SCSI is not needed for game servers. Aside from a bit of logging (which is buffered by any modern OS), the servers preload everything into RAM and run from there.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

X-Gaming, may i asked if you have any relation to Xgamer and the Equinix Ashburn/HE.net fiasco?

yea scsi is overrated you are better off with two ide if y ou are concenered about map changes and kinda split everyone up but even that is not neccesary

Out of my personal experince, using SCSI on LINUX is not that efficient , you can hardly feel the difference. The best Disks for a LINUX based system are the S-ATA drives. On the other hand, if youre running windows, theres a hell lot of difference, I've tried.

But again, never forget your little friend MR RAID 5, could help a lot ...

thats what i assumed. Anyone have any experience with dual AMD MPs? How do dual MP 2.0Ghz compare to Dual 2.4Ghz Xeons?

Anyone know how many CS servers a single Opteron 140 CPU could support? I'm not sure whether to get a P4 2.8 w/ 512MB memory or a 1.4 Opteron 140 w/ 1024MB memory...

Just from our initial tests (one that we have had for a while, not using it as a game server), the opteron beat the heck out of the dual xeons, but I'd still believe that the single opteron would preform much better than a p4.

I wonder why intel seems to be so much more mainstream than AMD...

anyway anyone know about how those MPs stand up to the xeons?

None of the gameserver binaries are optimized for x86-64 (not to my knowledge) so there should be no amazing performance improvement.

If i am wrong about gameserver binaries being optimized for x86-64, please post here with links so we can all take advantage.
    Thanks.
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: [email protected]

Without a doubt, I'd go with the Opterons after reading this thread.
    John Kata

you have to consider the pricing too however.

My friend just finished setting up a client of his with a Dual Opteron gaming server. There was trouble at first apparently with getting the mother board to run and even beep! So it was a bad experience with TYAN, went for MSI instead. But now he says it works like a charm with SuSE on it!

Not sure how many instances or what game it's running yet!

any updates on this?

Best comparison that I found is here:

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1935
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces

Originally posted by vantasticman7
    Best comparison that I found is here:

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1935
    Thanks, that was quite an interesting reading

I'd still like to know how they compare in a gaming enviorment, however.
    John Kata