Dedicated game server

Well, I had a big long post all typed out and then I got an error and lost it... bah

We had a managed.com server through a reseller. We ran 2 Battlefield 1942 game servers on it, 2x32 ppl (Redhat 9.0 OS, 1 gig of ram on a 2.4 ghz processor). It ran without a problem until our "reseller" forgot to pay the bill and we lost it. So, we dropped the "reseller" and went to the source.
    That's another nightmare. We submitted a payment, which they claim was not received. We submitted a second payment, and it was received. However, we still have not got the server and that was a week and a half ago. I filed a claim against them at paypal for the first payment, and I'm about to do the same for the second.

So, now we're looking for a new host. From what I read on another post, servermatrix seemed to be resonable. Although they cost a few bucks more than managed.com, I think it would be worth it.

Here's what we're leaning towards:

Processor: 2.8 with 99$ setup
    RAM: 1 gig
    Bandwith: 100 Mbps
    HD: 80 gig

Here are my questions:

1. What's the Urchin 100 profile thing? (100 profiles?)

2. Would a 2.4 celeron cut it (with 1 gig of ram) for 2 32 man servers? (possibly run 3 servers, 1x32, 1x20, 1x20)

3. Which OS would be best? We ran RedHat 9 before (root access), but now I'm considering Win 2003 or something else.

thanks in advane.
    -Joe
    [email protected]

I use Win2003 for all my gameservers. It's alot better to use it Steam as well. Urchin is webstats.
    - 7de5igns

I'd like to try Win 2003, but what's the access like? Is it like a GUI remote console?

Windows will cost you extra because there is a monthly fee for the license. As for access you can use Terminal Services and RDP for working on the server. Pretty much makes the complete desktop appear on your computer and you can do whatever you need.

i would probably stay far away from celerons

Yeah, I'll stay away from celerons

As for the Windows 2003, according to the site, it doesn't cost anything extra.

Here are the available OS's:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Version 3
    Red Hat 9
    Windows 2000 Server
    Windows Server 2003, Standard
    Free BSD 5.1
    Debian

All appear to be the same price.

Windows 2003 Standard server, with a p4 processor would be the best for you.

Ok, Windows 2003 and a p4 processor I will get. a 2.8 ghz nonetheless

As for Terminal Services and RDP: can you provide me with some links so I can read up on it before I get the server? I've never run a dedicated server remotely before (or a windows server at that )

The host will enable Window's builtin Terminal Services, or install a VNC client. They will tell you which one they install.

If they enable Terminal Services, you can connect using Windows XP's "Remote Desktop", located in Accessories. If you're not using Windows XP, Remote Desktop can be downloaded from Microsoft's website.. You simply enter the IP address, username, and password, and you'll be connected to the server.

If they install a VNC server, you can download a client here. As with Remote Desktop, you'll enter the IP, and password.

Both websites contain the client download, as well as more detailed information regarding the function of each application.
    John Kata

Ah thanks.

But I just remembered... I don't know how to run multiple bf servers on Windows, while I do on RedHat

From what someone has told me, it isn't the easiest thing in the world as it is with RedHat heh heh... unless I am mistaken?

Hello

A quick Google search shows this. I've never used this before, but I'm sure it's something worth looking into. It's free, so if it doesn't work the way you want, you can always search Google for an alternative.
    John Kata

Yes, I am familiar with BBO (black bag ops). And, I did use it on my old Redhat server

But the IPs that come with the server.. are these bound to the machine when I receive it? I suppose if they are, I could just install BF twice and set different IPs in the setup.

It depends. Some companies will alias the IPs to your network interface for you, others will just alias the first IP, and then let you do the rest.
    John Kata

Do you happen to know if Server Matrix alias's the IPs to the machine when one receives it?

Posted the question above on the SM forums, and already recieved a reply from a rep! What service

They said they assign all the IPs to the NIC before deploying it.

Then you should be all set
    John Kata

To install multiple servers on Windows, just install the game to the default directory. Also install the bfsm(blackbagops.com). Then copy the entire battlefield folder to the same directory, renaming it. Then go into the copied install and configure it through bfsm, changing the IP, server name, etc.

I have done this on my servers and it works fine. If you have any questions, let me know.

That's what I thought you had to do, since that's what I did with my former Redhat server (although I had to manually bind the IP to the computer each time the machine had to be rebooted.)

Thanks!

Ask ServerMatrix what the default operating system is
    John Kata

Well, just respond to your thread you started there (or create another one), and simply ask.

However, you *might* get better game performance on Red Hat.

I do not recommend using Windows on servers, however there are some valid uses for it. It might be best to stick with RHE3.

But, for a game server, it'll work good either way
    John Kata