Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you build or buy your computers?

I have always built my own computers and have had 0 problems with the ones I build myself. Well I see people who buy seem to have a lot of problems with them. Recently I was thinking of just buying a Compaq and saving myself some time, any comments?

Let me ask some questions here also:

1. If you do buy who do you think is the best manufacturer (IBM, Dell, Gateway, Compaq/HP, etc.)
    2. Do you have more porblems with computers you buy or build
    3. Who do you think is the best motherboard manufacturer (I'm partial to MSI and I hate those piece of crap DFI mobo's)

I've had the same PC for the past 4 years, bought, before I knew much about PCs.

Once I get enough money, I'll start off with a barebones and build up from there.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I had a 'bought' IBM before I made the PC I am on now. I can't really say much as the IBM lasted 4 years and then it died on me.

Building your on computer can be significantly cheaper or more expensive if you don't know where to shop for the parts.

Cheaper is a matter of point of view. My time is worth money to me. Shopping around for bargain computer parts and assembling computers costs money.
    I used to build my own but now I buy. My latest is from Dell and I've had no problems at all in 15 months.

I usually buy my computers. I can't be bothered with the hassle of building my own. The last computer I bought was from Alienware. I doubt I'll buy another one from there though, because its quite expensive. Don't get me wrong though, its a great computer and was well worth the money. I just don't care to much for the extra costs bringing it into canada.

RMF

We build, never had a problem until last year.

Built an AMD that kept over heating even with a volcano fan and good ventilation, then we found that the chip set was problematic with the video card.

We also have a wholesale relationship with Dell as our clients like
    the brand.

We have more service calls with the Dells than the generics...
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know... - Lewis Carroll

Build is much cheaper in my books... You get all the good parts you want and you put it together yourself

I tend to build my own, so that I have control over exactly what I get. That's the most important thing to me. With name-brand boxes, there are sometimes incompatibilities, or problems should you ever decide to upgrade.

I've had custom-build at local shops, where I pick the parts and they build. Usually, they make mistakes or short-change me somehow. EG: I order a MB with onboard RAID1 and two identical HDs. When I get it, I see that the two HDs are Master/Slave and they kept for themselves the second good-quality ATA100 cable.

That is one of the more annoying things... they always keep the extra parts that come with the MB and case. When you come to upgrade, you never have enough screws or other parts on hand. I saw one shop charge a guy $2 for one of the little screws that should have been his anyways.

If you are a control freak like me, you should build your own.

Originally posted by DefiantPc
    We have more service calls with the Dells than the generics...
    This has been my experience also.

Bought and built
    I did purchase a Dell laptop about 7 months ago and Ive been real happy with it.
    Ive bought desktops before but the last few years my son has built them and I dont think I would ever purchase another desktop at a store again Welll, unless I caught a price that was too good to turn down.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Built.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I built all the pc's i ever had, and they all were great!

i would recommend building to anyone, much better than buying

Originally posted by ilyash
    I built all the pc's i ever had, and they all were great!

i would recommend building to anyone, much better than buying
    I tend to recommend name-brand to people who don't know how to build. If they're a good friend, I might even build for them.

There's a lot of good namebrand notebooks with wireless, etc. for an affordable price. Nothing like sitting on the sofa or in bed while you're on wireless.

Every computer in my house is built besides the sony one... but that doesn't count because I've exchanged like everypart out of it for a new one. If you want something that is easily upgradable and you know you have good parts in it, its always wise to build your own. Even if you've never done it before there are plenty of instructions with all the parts to tell you how to put it together, and pretty much all the parts can only go in one way.

I build my own. May be more expensive, but I like mixing-and-matching parts, so I get exactly what I want.

I also build my own, I find it a lot cheaper and much better quality!

Originally posted by ./thename
    I also build my own, I find it a lot cheaper and much better quality!
    Ditto. That's what I do.

I've always WANTED to build my own vs. buying, but just can't afford a new PC. Still stuck on the "bought" AMD 1100+, which has lasted three years as it slowly trashes itself. Gotta love blue screens, should go with the build if you know how to.

Build. That way I know the exact hardware, I know the costs, and its usually cheaper for me in the end.

So does anyone want to answer the second part of my question, if you build:

#1. What motherboard brand do you prefer? (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.)

#2. Any special type of case?

Build. I enjoy piecing together and installing OS from scratch, plus you get exactly what you want and for a lot cheaper.

I have had terrible experiences with Compaq/HP. From talking to friends, I get the impression that Dell is the most trouble-free brand (but they are only Intel ).
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

well I bought my first real pc. about 7 yrs ago and I still feel like I am being raped over that one. every since then I build my own

I prefer the Asus motherboards

Asus motherboards
    No special case as long as it has a good power supply.
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know... - Lewis Carroll

I build, suppose its because im a qualified computer engineer and do it as a hobby.

Yes, nothing compares to Asus motherboards! Still using my A7V8X Deluxe that I bought in October 2002 and it supports just about everything that is out now

Always liked Antec cases, currently have an Antec PlusView 1000AMG with an Antec TruePower 550Watt PSU on my main PC. Also like the CoolerMaster range of cases.

Always buy OCZ memory.

If I ever buy a PC however, it would always be HP, their support is quite simply amazing (it is here in the UK anyway). Have bought myself an HP Centrino laptop and love it.

When building a PC for myself, I always wait to save the extra cash to get the best parts available. Im also quite a cad overclocker although tbh i do it for fun as I dont have much need for it because of the small amount of time I spend playing games etc...
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast