Thread: Host/Ev1.net??

Host/Ev1.net??

Hey,

I am tired of hosting companies...my current host never answers my emails, etc etc.

I have decided to purchase something from ev1.net. I am going to purchase this plan after I find out exactly what it is...lol:

AMD Duron - 1Ghz - Redhat Enterprise - 40GB HD - 512 MB RAM
    Available!
    Monthly Fee: $99.00 - Setup Fee: $1.00 - Total Charges w/fees* & taxes: $106.62
    Monthly Fee w/fees* & taxes: $105.53 - Setup Fee w/fees* & taxes: $1.08

Does this plan means I get 40 GB of diskspace and how much bandwidth do I get?? Also do I get a box or some equipment?? Is this a good plan??

Yeah I know this may sound dumb for me to ask or do...but I just cant find a reliable host. This year alone I have been with 5 hosts and the customer service was bad.

If its in the value section as i think it is, the bandwidth will be 700GB per month

How much are paying for hosting? Hosts such as ultraunix.net, unitedhosting.com, hostroute.com and lunarpages.com are all very reputable and will respond to your emails and support requests
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Basically you are ordering yourself an Unmanaged server.

That isnt just a hosting plan, you will have to take care of the whole server, such as, Apache, DNS, Mail, Imap, Kernal Upgrades and so on.

Most plans at ev1 come with 700 GB

Possibly try a Large hosting or Reseller/VPS solution before getting yourself a server unless you are totally confident in managing it

Good Luck!

Originally posted by 4Hosted
    Basically you are ordering yourself an Unmanaged server.

That isnt just a hosting plan, you will have to take care of the whole server, such as, Apache, DNS, Mail, Imap, Kernal Upgrades and so on.

Most plans at ev1 come with 700 GB

Possibly try a Large hosting or Reseller/VPS solution before getting yourself a server unless you are totally confident in managing it

Good Luck!
    Would i have to manage Apache, DNS, mail, etc if I get a dedicated server??

You have to be familiar with all of those software programs and the security of each of them.

Originally posted by web_hostone
    Yes, however you'll have to setup, configure and maintain all of it yourself. I don't recommend doing this unless you know what you're doing, otherwise you could find yourself with a website that isn't accessible or one that says "0WNED" on it quite often.

Originally posted by web_hostone
    yes, especially with EV1 Servers as they are not managed in any way at all. Id go along with 4Hosted's idea of getting a hosting/reseller plan from a reputable company if you are unsure of how to manage a server. It will also work out cheaper too

Originally posted by Sash!
    If its in the value section as i think it is, the bandwidth will be 700GB per month

How much are paying for hosting? Hosts such as ultraunix.net, unitedhosting.com, hostroute.com and lunarpages.com are all very reputable and will respond to your emails and support requests
    We dont have the .com
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

EV1 has a excellent reputation I always reccomend people to shop around i could surely name some others with equal offers if not better. Also since EV1's CEO owns WHT you can get a wealth of info from WHT on managing your server.
    Sincerly,
    ActivSol
    noc@activsolutions.org

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    We dont have the .com
    whoops

.co.uk it is then hehe

Originally posted by ActivSol
    Also since EV1's CEO owns WHT you can get a wealth of info from WHT on managing your server.
    HeadSurfer/Ev1 no longer own WHT. INetInteractive bought it a few months back.

1) As posted above, it is NOT just simple pay and play hosting. It is a GREAT VALUE, but you have to be ready for a lot of other things which are and can be a great headache.

2) Could you purchase one of these and pay someone to set it up and troubleshoot for you, ABSOLUTELY. www.webscorpion.com is one of those companies that will handle it for you (there are others, too). Rene is a good guy and is very knowledgeable.

3) Recommendation: Find a good reseller plan and spend about half or less of what you are thinking about investing in the server itself and it will be okay.

Hey, the next time will be the charm

Good Luck

BTW - Resellers out there....yep a bunch. Off top, as mentioned in the thread above, you have Matt @ www.unitedhosting.co.uk and their reputation is outstanding.

Just do a little research and you'll find it here.

Ev1Servers is TERRIBLE!! I had so much downtime and problems with them, I went insane. They put the most cheapest and crappiest hardware in those servers run by them. I instead moved to (for my primary server) http://servermatrix.com and haven't had a downtime since! The support takes also forever with them and it's run by guys that don't even know how to reboot a box.

Ev1Servers is TERRIBLE!! I had so much downtime and problems with them, I went insane. They put the most cheapest and crappiest hardware in those servers run by them
    Where have you been?

ALL new EV1 servers are Dell.... it doesnt get much better!
    Matt Wallis

Originally posted by NeedYourHelp
    Ev1Servers is TERRIBLE!! I had so much downtime and problems with them, I went insane. They put the most cheapest and crappiest hardware in those servers run by them. I instead moved to (for my primary server) http://servermatrix.com and haven't had a downtime since! The support takes also forever with them and it's run by guys that don't even know how to reboot a box.
    Just remember this is YOUR experience and opinion, we have never had any problems with them and whenever there was any type of issue, the support staff or customer service has ALWAYS resolved it very fast.

It's kinda like PAYPAL, there are 1,500 HORROR stories but 500,000 (not sure of exact number of members) happily transacting customers.

Good luck @ servimatrix seems like your experience has been good to this point.

Where have you been?

ALL new EV1 servers are Dell.... it doesnt get much better!
    oh so true Matt, so true...

Originally posted by EV1HOST
    Just remember this is YOUR experience and opinion, we have never had any problems with them and whenever there was any type of issue, the support staff or customer service has ALWAYS resolved it very fast.

It's kinda like PAYPAL, there are 1,500 HORROR stories but 500,000 (not sure of exact number of members) happily transacting customers.

Good luck @ servimatrix seems like your experience has been good to this point.

Thank you and I am enjoying their service very well. I was with Ev1Servers for 2 years, formally RackShack. They changed their name because of the amount of problems people were recieving with their service. Might I add there is even a site out there that's a ANTI-Ev1Server's site. http://ev1-sucks.com

When I was with them, I had to change my hard drive over 5 times, one time they even put my OLD HARD drive back in! They even told me I had to restore the Hard Drive myself and all they knew how to do was give me a new hard drive when something went wrong. It's even in the contract that their suppost to copy the data over hard drive to hard drive, not the user. I unfortunatelly found that out later.
    Last edited by NeedYourHelp; 03-07-2004 at 09:53 PM.

If you do a search for a post by me in the Dedicated Servers forum, you'll find a review that I did on EV1. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you're brand new to Server Administration, EV1Servers is NOT the host for you. Don't read this post as a negative criticism, it's not. Read my review for an in depth review.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    If you do a search for a post by me in the Dedicated Servers forum, you'll find a review that I did on EV1. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you're brand new to Server Administration, EV1Servers is NOT the host for you. Don't read this post as a negative criticism, it's not. Read my review for an in depth review.
    All my problems were Hardware, not software, so for me that doesn't even count.

They changed their name because of the amount of problems people were recieving with their service.
    Err.... I cant believe you just said that! Your talking absolute rubbish.
    Matt Wallis

Err.... I cant believe you just said that! Your talking absolute rubbish.
    yer id agree, it was changed to portray a more professional image as well as the parent company being Everyones Internet (ev1.net) afaik

If the largest provider in the world can do business making 10's of thousands of customers happy, and only gain one or two unhappy offspring (who obviously dont have a clue) then I think they are doing rather well
    Matt Wallis

I'm sure its hard to please everybody. If the majority are happy with their service =!problem.