* Pissing me off

This is PISSING ME OFF! Here is my story:

I've got a site related to a game offering lots of stuff (downloads (500 mb), images, forum, etc...) I have more than 30 000 page views per day. For more than 5 months, it was hosted for free. But then, i wanted to pay for a REAL hoster. So i went, searching and searching and I foud this: e-serves.com (NEVER GO BUY THEM A PACKAGE THEY TOTALY S**K). They were offering UNLIMITED diskspace and UNLIMITED bandwidth. Well, it was a nice offer, so I decided to contact them. A saleman told me that I could host my game-related site and that it didnt matter if i was using 5 gig of transfer per day. I also asked them if they would suspend my site if i was "eating" the CPU. There was no problem with that. But there was no MYSQL on the unlimited package, which I need. So the saleman told me to get 2 package. The unlimited one at about 35$/month and to get another one (50 Mo) wich has MySQL at a reduced price of 3.5$/month. Well, all my question were answered so I went and bought it for 1 year. The first 2 weeks, everything was fine but suddenly, the server with MySQL kept crashing and crashing. About 48 hours down in 1 week. So I contacted them and they told me to get rid of MySQL: it was being using too much. 50% of CPU usage by me. I then remade my site with no mysql (exept the counter, the news and the forum). It was ok for a week but than, it crashed again, this time for 1 complet day. They suspended both my accounts and they said our contract was over because I broke 2 rules:
    - Too much CPU usage
    - I was hosting a game related site, which I couldn't

Now 1st of all, the saleman told me that if I'd used to much CPU usage, it wouldn't mind and i could host a game-related web site...

WHAT THE HECK???

Now they wont refund me the 300$

What should i do now?
    Since i live at Quebec and that they have a department in Montreal, I might complain to the OPC (Office de protection du consommateur (Federal organisation protecting consumers)) but i'm not sure if it will work.

For those who's asking why I post that, its because i'm so frustrated...

Anyone would be frustrated in that situation. Unlimited space and bandwidth are a lie, and only used to get you as a customer.

If you paid via credit card, it may be possible to get your money back by doing a charge back. Contact your credit card company to see if that is an option. If you paid by check, you're pretty much out of luck.

Re: Pissing me off

Originally posted by oldunis
    They were offering UNLIMITED diskspace and UNLIMITED bandwidth. Well, it was a nice offer...
    May I repeat what is often stated on WHT that there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth and diskspace in this hosting business. Only incompetent or dishonest hosts sell this myth of *UNLIMITED*.

OK inogenius beat me to it.

If you want unlimited space and bandwidth, you're just going to have to pay more than whatever amount you are going to pay.
    You'll get fewer complaints from over performing than from over promising.

Ya, i know that unlimited doesn't exist...

I'm gonna contact my CC company to see what we can do

Ya, i know that unlimited doesn't exist...

I'm gonna contact my CC company to see what we can do
    Why did you sign up then? You got slicked out your money for a shoddy service.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

He told me that if i do not go over 5 gb of disk space and no more than 120 gb of transfer per day ill be ok

He told me that if i do not go over 5 gb of disk space and no more than 120 gb of transfer per day ill be ok
    He was lying.

Simon

I'm trying to find some sympathy here for you but I cannot.
    You knew unlimited is impossible. It even sounds like you may have know you were getting sucked in.
    The only thing that suprises me about this story is that you were online for two weeks.

Did you get what the salesman said in writing?

Originally posted by IHSL
    He was lying.

Simon
    And not even a little lie - a big, huge, whopper of a lie. Up to 3.7 terabytes of transfer per month for $35 a month?

Originally posted by thedavid
    And not even a little lie - a big, huge, whopper of a lie. Up to 3.7 terabytes of transfer per month for $35 a month?
    1 month ago, i though it was possible
    Now, i know it can't

[EDITED]
    OMG THEY ARE SO LAZY
    I'm asking for refund and they say it is not the good department... Writing to biling and refunds isn't the good department for a refund?..

wish i could and and on them

Originally posted by thedavid
    You never know, it could happen. *wink*
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

oldunis, after a quick look at their site, it appears you should email [email protected]

-----------------------------------
    CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
    e-serves.com reserves the right to cancel the service at any time. Customer refund requests are to be sent via email to: [email protected] and will only be processed in the cases of service non-performance that might be caused by e-serves.com's side, Refund requests will be refused if requested for any cause that is out of e-serves.com's side, For example:
    - Domain transfer failure.
    - Failure of any third party programs or features that are not supported or promoted by e-serves.com.
    - Customers lack of experience in dealing with web basics and communication protocols

-----------------------------------

They are probably not lazy, they are just making you jump through a few hoops in hoped you'll give up.

Ya I did and they only refund if the problem is coming from them, in other words, they wont refund...

*sigh* wish they could just see this post

Unhappy

Oops sorry, i clicked refresh by accident

Doesn't sound like a very reputable host to me. If they lied to you to get you in then you should be able to get a full or at least partial refund.

*sigh* wish they could just see this post
    Send them a link to it.

Link to what?

[Edited]
    Show them the post...?

YOUHOU!!! GOT REFUND FOR THE ACCOUNT USING MySQL!!!
    [EDITED]
    Waiting for their answer for my other account

To this thread.

Nah i think that they wont refund for my other account ill wait :d

Call the CC company and get your money by doing charge back. Believe me you'll get your money...
    blue27

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't stay with the host that had been hosting you for free for all those months and just pay them?

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    I'm curious as to why you wouldn't stay with the host that had been hosting you for free for all those months and just pay them?
    Cause it was a shared 10 mb/sec bandwidth with 20 sites. I got like 5k/sec...

Originally posted by Greg
    - Customers lack of experience in dealing with web basics and communication protocols
    *note to self to add that to my terms*
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Oldunis, have you learned any lesson from this unlimited experience? Just curious...
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Never paid one year upfront for any new services or new providers. Pay month to month until you are confident with their services then can consider to pay one year upfront to save $$$ etc...
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

Do a chargeback, it'll normally go through.

BTW, you should learn your lesson, its IMPOSSIBLE to get unlimited bandwidth, what more can we say about disk space?

Thanks for your answers... and YES i've learned a lesson (of course...)

It's just not realistic to assume that a web host can run a reliable server and be completely careless about CPU usage (on a shared environment). If one web site is sucking up all the server's resources, then the server is going to perform poorly for all the other customers.

I know we've already been down the unlimited road a thousand times so I won't even go there, but sorry I just get miffed when I hear about cases like these. Hosts that gamble like this just give the industry a bad name.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net