Input/output error

In shell I got this, what does that mean? Do I have harddisk problem? How to fix this?

root@server1 [/var/lib/mysql]# dir
    /bin/ls: host.err: Input/output error
    /bin/ls: ibdata1: Input/output error
    /bin/ls: ib_logfile0: Input/output error
    /bin/ls: ib_logfile1: Input/output error
    /bin/ls: ib_arch_log_0000000000: Input/output error

In the log file said:

040307 10:29:18 mysqld started
    040307 10:29:18 Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Input/output error
    040307 10:29:18 Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?
    040307 10:29:18 Aborting

040307 10:29:18 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

040307 10:29:18 mysqld ended
    Last edited by xp101; 03-07-2004 at 02:34 PM.

I know the last time I had the Input/Output error, the HD was bad. Whatever you do, dont reboot or you may never see your data again. The harddrive did a hard physical crash and even when I mounted it as a secondary harddrive to see if I can pull data off, the input/output errors didnt allow it.

Try and salvage anything you can now.

/var/lib/mysql is on the hard disk, correct?

Output of dmesg?

Originally posted by FeBox
    I know the last time I had the Input/Output error, the HD was bad. Whatever you do, dont reboot or you may never see your data again. The harddrive did a hard physical crash and even when I mounted it as a secondary harddrive to see if I can pull data off, the input/output errors didnt allow it.

Try and salvage anything you can now.
    oh NO.! I rebooted it and the server did not come back. I contacted managed and hope they will help me the first thing Monday morning. I hope my data will be there when it come back up; else, I'm screw!

Wow, I guess I was too late.

If the data is very important to you, then maybe you can arrange something for managed to ship the HD back to you and you can send it to a data restore facility. The reason Im saying this is because I doubt anything can be pulled off the HD if they were to mount it.

Also, one of those data restore places start at $500. So, I would at least let managed give it a shot to try and mount it again. Its worth a try.

Thanks FeBox! I'll have managed help me. Hope everything will be ok. Else, I'll get help to get the data back.

You may just need to get Managed to run fsck. Chances are, if the box hasn't come up, its run fsck and has asked a questions. You need someone at the console to continue the processes.

We've seen this even on RAID. Of course a reboot in those cases is fine but it can get very nasty very quickly

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com