Hybrid View

PHPBB2 Installation problem

I am having trouble installing my phpbb2 board. When I go to install it in the main directory in my hosting service I get the following message:

We are going to install this board in /home/moneyonf/public_html/
    Error: /home/moneyonf/public_html/ already exists

And I cannot install it in the top directory which is the www or public_html
    directory.

Consequently, I cannot access my forum at my domain (ex. www.mydomain.com ) and I have to create it in another directory (ex. www/forum or public_html/forum) This means that I will have to type in (ex. www.mydomain.com/forum) to access the forum

Please help me around this, my aim is to have to forum installed in the top directory and to have the Forum index as my home page.

Are you trying to install this via CPanel?

sounds like this is a cpanel install...easy fix would be to install it under say mydomain.com/forum and then just move all the files from the forum dir to the public_html folder

Are you trying to install this via CPanel?
    Yes I am trying to install it vie Cpanel, suggestions DWS?

Oh ok. You would have to do a fresh (manual) install instead if you want your phpBB in the root.

1. Create a mysql database, and add a user to it - can be done easily from CPanel
    2. Go to phpBB's website and download the latest version
    3. Read the documentation
    4. Upload necessary files (from a specific directory, I don't remember which one exactly but it should be in the docs)
    5. Go to installation file via browser (should be indicated in the docs), and follow onscreen directions

I am doing what you're suggesting but I also have a question about Cpanel

Whenever I install a forum it creates a new database and everything new.

Whenever I delete the forum and the databases and i go to install a new forum I get the option

Modify an existing board with my previous boards still there.

I have reinstalled my board 5 times and I have 5 different boards under the modify an existing board option

I only have one installed yet it say that I can modify 5 of them

Whichever one i click it takes me to the one that I have currently installed. it's very strange.

can this cause a problem in the future?

also in Cpanel I cannot find the password to the database that is created for my forum

how can I locate the password for my database in Cpanel?

thanks

I don't quiet follow you there. I don't know if it will cause you any problems, because I don't know if you are using any databases right now, and for what. It should not cause you any problems if you aren't actually using any of the databases.

Basically, start by removing the useless databases that CPanel created for you for each failed attempt to install a forum.

Then create a new one, give it a better name... then create a new user, and add that user to the new database.

Use the new database information during the manual installation process of phpBB.

Originally posted by Bllatt
    also in Cpanel I cannot find the password to the database that is created for my forum

how can I locate the password for my database in Cpanel?

thanks
    I don't think you can find a password from CPanel. You would have to look at the configuration file where username, password, database name, host name, etc. information is sent automatically.

Sounds like you're using the AutoInstaller Fantastico in cPanel. As suggested, if you want to install it in your root directory so that your main site home page is your forum,

1. In cPanel, manually delete all the databases that were automatically created each time you ran the autoinstall script.

2. In cPanel, manually create a new database, create a user and password, and assign the user rights to the new db.

3. Go to http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php and download 2.0.6d and unzip on your computer.

4. Upload all the files to your root (public_html) directory. Be sure to delete any other index.html file as well, since the index.php of your board will now be your home page.

5. CHMOD config.php to 666.

6. Go to www.yourdomain.com/install/install.php and run through the installation. (Don't forget to prepend your db name and username with your cPanel account name)

7. CHMOD your config.php to 644.

8. Delete the install/ and contrib/ folders off your server.

Installation complete. Go to www.yourdomain.com/login.php to login as Admin and further set up your board.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    Sounds like .......
    Vito
    sweet and neat!! vito
    phpBB is just this easy to install

[QUOTE]I don't think you can find a password from CPanel. You would have to look at the configuration file where username, password, database name, host name, etc. information is sent automatically.[QUOTE/]

where can I find and what is the name of the configuration file?

If the database was created by CPanel during the "one click" installation process, then look for the file config.php in the directory you attempted to install the forums. If this was the database for the forums you tried to install in root, then the file may not be there as the installation failed. In that case, the database is no good...

If you installed the forums in some other directory, then look in that directory for config.php file.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bllatt
    I don't think you can find a password from CPanel. You would have to look at the configuration file where username, password, database name, host name, etc. information is sent automatically.[QUOTE/]

where can I find and what is the name of the configuration file?
    Hope I have NOT missed out anything in your previous post.

The password you should supply is the password to your mySQL (I guess you are using mySQL)

A username and password can be created at the "phpMyAdmin" of Cpanel.