difference between dedicated and virtual hosting

What's the difference between dedicated and virtual server packages?

With dedicated you have your own server.
    With virtual you share a portion of a server but you have full server rights.

In this case, who would need a dedicated server? Simply someone who needs more space? Does virtual allow you your own full domain. In example www.sitename.com

Yes, you could have your own domain. By the line of your questioning, I don't think you should be even considering a dedicated server. Also, re: the below quote...
    Originally posted by blue27
    With dedicated you have your own server.
    With virtual you share a portion of a server but you have full server rights.
    I've seen virtual accounts (shared hosting) described as "virtual server packages" so you may not have "full server rights" but we'd have to see the package to know for sure. Blue27 was talking about VPS (virtual private servers), though even with those I'm not sure you have "full server rights" exactly (too long to go into now). Moot point.

Anyhow, people get dedicated servers for many reasons. More space, customization, control, security, etc.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

True, my answer may have been a little generalized.
    Ultimately, you don't need a dedicated package unless you need full root access and your space and transfer requirements justify the expense.

I see. Then you wouldn't use virtual servers if you wanted to use your own scripts or if you wanted to do some ecommerce? Instead dedicated would be the smarter alternative??

If your site is small and all you require are a few scripts and ecommerce then we believe you would be better suited for a shared hosting environment.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

I think you may be more interested in Shared hosting.
    In either shared or dedicated or virtual you can use your own scripts, (some scripts may not be allowed in shared) and you should have no problems with ecommerce in a shared environment.
    If the ecommerce is a large scale project then a dedicated server would be the way to go.

When you use a VPS/Dedicated server it usually means one or more of the following:

1) Your website is hogging resources
    2) You need root acess
    3) You want to run scripts that are banned on your current host
    4) Your website is to large or requires to much bandwidth

There are VPS packages that are smaller in size (the size of virtual packages) and come at a great price... just shop arround.

If you are starting up your own e-commerce business, I would suggest NOT using a VPS and save yourself some money until it is needed.

I'm sure I can start small and update my plan as my needs grow with no problems, correct? Or should i anticipate and allow myself room for growth from the beginning. Would it be a big headache to update my hosting package with the average host?

No this can be done rather simply
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

I had a virtual server once, it ran fine performance wise, but the problem I had was when the provider was rebooting the main box, this of course forces your virtual server to reboot. Apart from that it was fine.