dedicated server for shoutcast mp3 (unmetered)

I'm thinking to start a free online radio using shoutcast.
    Do you think 10mbps unmetered will be enough ?

and Dual Xeon will be okay ?

how much bandwith 10mbps unmetered server can handle ?
    http://www.adwis.net

Shoutcast does not use much CPU power but RAM. Each user takes 0.5MB RAM if I have not mistaken, therefore a celeron would do the job. As for bandwidth usage, di.fm is using 150mbit/s+ for their "Trance" section only, not to mention they have few more sections. Bandwidth usage varies depending on the traffic you get.

You have just missed out an offer by nectartech, 10mbit celeron for $99/mo. Normally 10mbit unmetered would cost roughly $300+. Anything lower might need more consideration before going with them.

You will be able to handle about 75 listeners at 128 kbps and 150 at 64 kbps. So how many listeners you plan on having is a bigger factor than the system specs.

im thinking like... maybe 50-100 listeners.. i dont know next..
    any recommendation for the dedicated server with unmetered bandwidth ?

fdcservers.net is the only one i know with unmetered bandwidth. it should be alright for your purposes....
    Ben S.

Originally posted by Adwis
    im thinking like... maybe 50-100 listeners.. i dont know next..
    any recommendation for the dedicated server with unmetered bandwidth ?
    You really aren't going to need unmetered unless you plan on having that many listeners 24/7. I'd find a host with at least 1 terabyte of bandwidth per month and see how that works. That way you can probably bump up your stream to 128 kbps even during peak hours and be under your monthly limit.

You have just missed out an offer by nectartech, 10mbit celeron for $99/mo. Normally 10mbit unmetered would cost roughly $300+. Anything lower might need more consideration before going with them.
    Whoops, I managed to miss out on that deal, i might have been interested!

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

Check out http://www.egihosting.com - They offer non-dedicated plans specifically for shoutcast streaming, and they also offer good deals on 10Mbps unmetered servers. Their non-dedicated solution would actually be more cost effective, so you may want to check that out. For 75 listeners (Approx. what you can fit on 10Mbps at 128Kbps), it would only cost $195, instead of $250 with a dedicated server.

-Josh

I'd reccomend getting a couple SM boxes and relaying one to the other. If you use about 7 mbps during peak times and like 1-2 during off-peak times you'll stay within your limit and be able to use a total of 14 mbps which is more than you'll hit on your 10 mbps box. Not to mention you'll save some money

There are quite a few resellers of HE.net who reguarly post great offers on 10mbps located there, we use them for all our ShoutCast servers and their network is awsome. Also, take a look at ctn1.com as they look good price wise
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

thanks for all the reply..

GunRadio.com is hosted at HE.NET, I know the founder Eric. He said he has had no complaints from HE except for that bandwidth gets sucked at times because of some "activity."

not sure whati t meant but, can't be anything different thany any other dc, if they promise you 1000gb/month you can use it

HE.Net is a great provider imo