Disk filling up fast

Hi
    I'm using Cpanel/WHM and I'm finding that my disk space on all my accounts are filling up alarmingly fast. Can anyone provid e a step by step on what do to (and how to do it?) for stopping this? I enabled the WHM feature that is supposed to eliminate log files after stats runs, but 24 hours later the disks are still full. Should I move them out of the user accounts? Expert help urgently needed.

Thanks

Are all the partitions full or just the /home partition?

You can try changing the way it logs information in setup to just logging when someone accesses file, rather than logging all the information.

How much space was used for your websites and how much space is left ?
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by inogenius
    You can try changing the way it logs information in setup to just logging when someone accesses file, rather than logging all the information.
    Also to note.. Depending on what you're doing, and how things are setup - you can setup logrotate with the 'compress' option to free up space. I've seen lotsa folks with huge logfiles for custom daemons or paths that never have been rotated at all or at least maintained.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

I have a bunch of 50MB accounts that since moving to my own vps have filled up within a week. With my old host they must have had a setup that kept the logs under control.

i like your suggestions, but I haven't the foggiest idea where to find the logs or how to rotate/compress them.

I'm a Super-newbie.

Thanks in advance

Rand: mount /tmp and /var as seperate partitions, try find a script on the net that removes logs after X amounts of days - try 15 - 30 days to start

Regards

DislexiK
    "You donít learn to hack, you hack to learn"

OK I've FINALLY figured out the problem...let's see if I can type this with all this hair on my keyboard

For those of you with disappearing disk space -- try this:

Check in WHM Backups>Configure Backup that "Incremental Backup" is DISABLED. Enabling this means that your backup directories will not be compressed, and will contain files owned by the account being backed up. If you keep this feature disabled, your backups will be compressed and owned by root. I've just deleted the last 8 days worth of backups (including monthly and weekly) then ran /scripts/cpbackup. The new backups are compressed and my disk space is back to normal.

Originally posted by DislexiK
    try find a script on the net that removes logs after X amounts of days - try 15 - 30 days to start
    Maybe it's better to gunzip the files and not remove them as in the future maybe needs to get some information from the logs.