Arrow 1and1 vs RackShack (ev1servers)

I've recently been looking at 1and1.com and their entrance into the US market. They're offering some really competitive, low-priced, full-featured dedicated server accounts, at about a third the price that RackShack / EV1servers.net has traditionally offered theirs. Check them out and see what you think.

Now, my question is as follows: what do users of RackShack / EV1Servers.net think about 1and1's features, and vice a versa? I'm an established EV1 customer, with a Dell Xeon enterprise server (Dual 2.04s, 2 Gigs of RAM, 1400 gig bandwidth month), and have been extremely satisfied with the RackShack/EV1servers experience, but I'm paying around $250 a month. Though 1and1 doesn't seem to offer Dell Xeons (only offer P4 3Ghz+ Hyperthreaded models at their "Root III" dedicatged option), their pricing still seems, nevertheless, extremely competitive, to the point where I'd be saving around 60% of what I currently pay if I went with them.

What's the catch? What are the other considerations? What is the advice that customers from both sides have to offer? Thanks for your input, gang.

1and1 is discussed quite frequently from the UK users of this site, generally they are slow on support and sometimes setup but once you get the server up and running all seems to be fine in the main, of course you will find many "complaint posts".

There has not been much posted on the US side of their servers, lets see what we get on this post

dont even go their they are utter wank
    go with ev1servers

Some (few) experiences concerning 1&1 US unmanaged servers can be found over here.

Never base your server leasing on price. Pay a good amount of money for a quality product. I'd personally find it hard to piss on either if they were on fire.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

* Reflections

So, it's sounding from what I've read that 1and1 has had a lot of support issues from the managed and virtual server side of things. My work is strictly unmanaged, though. Anyone have any experiences with the new unmanaged dedicated servers (Root I-III)?

Never base your server leasing on price. Pay a good amount of money for a quality product. I'd personally find it hard to piss on either if they were on fire.
    Why exactly is that, Akashik? I've had nothing but positive experiences with EV1Servers, and most especially, their extremely helpful user community (at their user forums), and administrators, who are regularly online over IRC.

Originally posted by Kaelon
    Why exactly is that, Akashik?
    He's just a little bladder shy, and out in public... buildings on fire... he'd probably get stage fright and not be able to go.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com