Thread: A Records

A Records

I have a domain thats fully resolved at a host. If I add an A record to point to a different server, do I have to wait for the propagation?

My guess would be no, but just wondering...

You'll need to wait between 24-48 hours for zone files to propogate. Sometimes less; it really depends on when you updated your zone files, and how often your ISP updates it's records with the main root servers.
    Have you Floble'd today?

or you will be resolved to the old records!

if the requesting nameserver never looked up the hostname it would resolve immediatly.

requesting nameservers as your ISP , if it had old lookup it will be cached depending on the TTL set in the db file
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

London, United Kingdom
    the answer is *possibly*, Bashar was about right ...

if you change the nameservers for a domain you generally have to wait upto 72 hours before the new nameservers are used.

if you add to the records for a domain on it's existing nameservers then no waiting at all - i just added
    and it works *immediately* in a browser

if you change previous information has not been cached somewhere then no waiting.

if you change previous information has been cached somewhere then there *might* be some waiting dependant on the ISP that cached it - demon for example tend to remember the old locations and content of websites unless you bypass their local cache to get at the "real" content.

Most people that spout off about 48hours do so beacuse they dont understand the difference between NAMESERVERS and DNS records
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules