Hybrid View

UK hosts and CPanel?

I'm curious - how many UK hosts with servers physically located in the UK actually offer something like CPanel?

It's funny - when I look around UK hosts a lot don't even seem to offer an admin panel - and where they do, they seem quite eager to charge for MySQL databases.

Is it really all that unreasonable to expect that webhosting in the UK can take some real inspiration from the US web hosting model?

Plenty however most people expect things for peanuts these days.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Brian,

The UK/CPanel market is growing rapidly, although sadly, this includes lots of UK hosts who are vague about where their servers are located and others who charge the Earth.

There seems to be a fairly restricted bunch of datacenters which range from "hobby" to "pro".

I can only suggest that you look around and seek opinions, or maybe try some of them out.
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

The problem is, in the UK the price for hosting etc. is very expensive if the server is to be located in the UK. I know in Europe, their are some hi-spec datacentres, but its still expensive. This makes it hard to compete in price, and lets be honest, a lot of people do use price as a big factor on their decision. The US has such a good developed hositing infrastructure, and such intense competition, that it makes financial sense to have your servers located in a USA datacentre. Then take into account the strong pound, you can almost half your costs compared to the hosts in the USA, and compete very well on price.

Rameen

Myacen, posting above have servers now in the UK....and they have always done Cpanel. Another good solid UK host with Cpanel is Clook.net And both are decent priced...don't charge the earth so to speak.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a UK host with UK servers for CPanel accounts. Bearing in mind that in the US there are a lot of companies offering hosting at rates which are below break-even, you will find very good value from many UK hosts.

Do a search here, or post a request at www.webhostchat.co.uk
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

I know of a great uk webhost but it doesnt offer cpanel I am afraid.

Its an issue of cost.

In the States providers such as EV1, nac.etc buy in serious bulk and thus either add cpanel to the server for free /$99 or charge under $10 for it.

This simply does not exist yet in the UK, the cheapest I have seen so far is an additional £35 ontop of your main bill for cpanel, so the bulk of providers opt for Plesk, Ensim, H-sphere.etc and some of the large players use their own control system (such as fasthosts, web fusion, supanames.etc).

The pricing will come down in time, as some one mentioned above, the web hosting industry in the UK is growing rapidly and as a result you will see more providers popping up - though I cant comment on their reliability/ staff technical ability
    Andrew Gearing
    AGCC Limited
    AGCC.net
    AGCCWorld.com

www.bargainhost.co.uk has servers in the UK and uses CPanel, but the service sucks.
    Gone.

Originally posted by Andrew_Ge
    Its an issue of cost.

In the States providers such as EV1, nac.etc buy in serious bulk and thus either add cpanel to the server for free /$99 or charge under $10 for it.

This simply does not exist yet in the UK, the cheapest I have seen so far is an additional £35 ontop of your main bill for cpanel, so the bulk of providers opt for Plesk, Ensim, H-sphere.etc and some of the large players use their own control system (such as fasthosts, web fusion, supanames.etc).

The pricing will come down in time, as some one mentioned above, the web hosting industry in the UK is growing rapidly and as a result you will see more providers popping up - though I cant comment on their reliability/ staff technical ability
    I don't think it's a case of the cost of a cPanel license. There are lot (us included) who pay the same for our cpanel licenses at both sides of the pond. When paying for quality hardware on a quality network (regardless of whether USA or UK based) an extra $50 per month isn't really a whole lot.
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

If it's a cpanel server you want, www.ukdedicated.com are affordable - certainly, even with their server management added, it would be comparable to my managed server in NAC.

For reseller or shared accounts, www.ukdedicated.ltd.uk will link to their sister sites.
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

hostroute.co.uk use cpanel - very happy with their service all around, have been honsting with them about a year now and I am still a happy customer. :0

Part of the problem is Cpanel pricing. You only get serious breaks when you order in bulk, so most people have to rely on external licensing from someone else. End result the cost is too high to be viable.
    Co-lo pricing in Europe is higher than in the US, but price is not _everything_
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Originally posted by patrikG
    hostroute.co.uk use cpanel - very happy with their service all around, have been honsting with them about a year now and I am still a happy customer. :0
    I also highly recommend Hostroute
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting