Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need dedicated servers for GAMING

I need some dedicated servers for my gaming company. Please post your suggestions. I am looking for locations in Chicago, or anywhere east and one west. Thank you.

West - FastServers.net
    East - 1and1.com
    East - Nocster.com
    Chicago - fdcservers.net

WOW, that is probably THE worst group of companies to host game servers.

Originally posted by OutOfTheBox
    WOW, that is probably THE worst group of companies to host game servers.

Raine-tech, are you aware that gaming is very much latency sensitive? Going to nocster / fdc = killing his business

Try servercentral.net / interquad in Chicago.

Servermatrix is good for central.... Very Good.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    Servermatrix is good for central.... Very Good.

Yes very good if you enjoy sending emails to your clients explaining why the server is down...

ehhh I disagree there X-gaming. SM is okay for Texas but interquad etc is in chicago. Diff areas

For central, i'll go with theplanet.com and i need one in Chicago. Any suggestions?

theplanet = sm

Tilted.com is based in Chicago, and offers dedicated and colo solutions. Pings are 30-40 from western PA. Not bad at all

Which package should I buy for Tilted.net?
    Last edited by 9fx; 03-06-2004 at 04:48 PM.

ehhh I disagree there X-gaming. SM is okay for Texas but interquad etc is in chicago. Diff areas

3 outages last month alone at SM from a few minutes to upwards of 2+ hours.. Cannot disagree with that..

theplanet = sm
    thePlanet and ServerMatrix are run by the same people but are entirely different.

SM= budget hosting

planet= high end hosting

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    3 outages last month alone at SM from a few minutes to upwards of 2+ hours.. Cannot disagree with that..
    Were the outages at SM also at The Planet servers? I know SM is owned by The Planet but I am seeking clarification if SM is down then wouldn't The Planet be as well?

3 months no downtime...

Originally posted by rokamortis
    Were the outages at SM also at The Planet servers? I know SM is owned by The Planet but I am seeking clarification if SM is down then wouldn't The Planet be as well?
    No, TP has redundant switches, the downtime a while ago at SM was switch related I believe.
    Tyler
    www.AdminZoom.com
    "Server Administration Done Right"

Server setup, hardening, migrations and more

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET

Raine-tech, are you aware that gaming is very much latency sensitive? Going to nocster / fdc = killing his business

Try servercentral.net / interquad in Chicago.
    actually there is quite large number of game servers running on FDC network. As for the latency we welcome you to ping our network for 24 hours to see the results
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net 50+Tbps of internet connectivity https://www.epyc100gig.net/
    10Gbps, 100Gbps, 400Gbps Bare metal servers, VPS, CDN in 24 countries and 36 geo diverse locations
    10Gbps & 100Gbps IP transit in hundreds of locations at best market price

I wouldnt host game servers on it but FDC does look like they have some great prices on webservers.

110Ms from LA, Cogent

I have tried Fastservers.net for game servers and it was ok. They had alot of issues with routing, and support was a pain because you couldnt talk directly with the tech. However to be fair this was some time ago and it could be better at this point.
    Last edited by 2Guns; 03-06-2004 at 10:35 PM.

Go equinix. I love how companies like ezzi and fdc and ev1 love to say we welcome you to ping our networks or "we have customers who are using our networks for blah blah"

But the point of our comments is that a) we have pinged your network and it sucks and b) those are the companies that fold in 1 month thats running fdc or those are ones run by 15 year olds looking to double their allowance

It really depends on what you are using the game server for. If it's a clan server and you want to save a few bucks then the buget houses like the ones mentioned should be fine. If your running a game hosting business then thats a different story...

Agreed

In canada you might want to try canaca or anything on the shawbigpipe network .

I would go HE.net west. Most people seem to get pretty decent pings go them, and they have reletavely good prices. I would go through a reseller, because they dont sell single servers as a business like nocster and other company's.

I have a few there, if you would want some, talk to me.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    skunkwar@pacbell.net
    http://www.killerangel.net

Go equinix. I love how companies like ezzi and fdc and ev1 love to say we welcome you to ping our networks or "we have customers who are using our networks for blah blah"
    I also agree.

Equinix has facilities in Texas, and in Chicago, Illinois. For game servers, you can't go wrong with Equinix + Internap bandwidth.

I had horrible experiences with FDC, however they were in October, 2003. But, I still would never use FDC's services again.
    John Kata

Buying directly from Equinix is only good if you need 1/2 rack or more - they won't sell you anything less. Try ServerCentral for less than a half rack of space - and SC, Verio or InterNAP for the connectivity. I think SC can resell EQIX space on the east & west coasts.

Good call on Shaw/Bigpipe demonmoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast