cleaning emails from competitor hosting

Hi,

My competitor gave some cheap special hosting offer emails to almost all my client domains.

Is there a way to clean all the emails which have already gone to the clients inboxes? (many clients will check emails after weekend, so iis possible to clean before that)

Any tips is welcome...

Thanks

Legally?

what does it mean legally? i want to clean junk from my server.

pls. note that it uses Exim as its a CPanel box

I am not sure it would be legal to edit received emails from your client's mailboxes.

On the other hand, you could certainly write a filter that would delete them before they are received.

You have no right to delete any e-mails from your clients mailbox unless its for security (i.e virus).

You just have to live with it, If any of my clients knew I was deleting mail from their account just so they dont see something I dont like they would leave.

It's not only illegal, it's bad business ethics and a bad idea. If one of your customers learns that you are deleting emails he would probably leave in seconds...

Actually one of my reseller requested it to clean from his client accounts.
    Though i have put the filters in place now but he wants the delivered emails also to be cleaned..

thanks for the input guys.. i have to make him understand..

Well it would certainly be an infringement of privacy policies if you have any, and you could get slapped with some form of liability if anyone decided to haul you to the court for it. If your business or the resellers have problem stopping clients from leaving just for a spam, there's more serious issues than a spam.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by Walter
    It's not only illegal, it's bad business ethics and a bad idea. If one of your customers learns that you are deleting emails he would probably leave in seconds...
    The act of deleting email from a client's account is not illegal in and of itself. It is, however, highly unethical, and could be actionable depending on the TOS, privacy policy, and any contracts in effect.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

well i asked the reseller to use Spamcop to report for spam.

sprintserve: for the serious issues.. those clients who like your service still stay But many clients like cheap and some free stuff.. they may move out from under you right? And if someone target all your clients and 10-15% switches out then its bound to annoy you, if not you but it annoys my reseller as he did marketing in his area for 6 months to make clients and suddenly some newhosting targets all his clients giving them free 4-6 months if transfer!

As already mentioned and for all kinds of reaons, once an eMail is in the Mailbox of a Client it is (or should be) untouchable by the Server Owner/Admin, without some Legal documentation allowing to take action. Similiar to once a letter has been dropped into a Mailbox.

On the other hand, you could make a post about the unethical actions by this particular Hoster, so that others may take any desired action beforehand.

By golly, those flashing Ads at the page bottom sure are irritating when trying to compose a post.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I think if you add something in your TOS about being able to delete messages in a clients mailbox then it's ok.

Originally posted by CPQIS
    I think if you add something in your TOS about being able to delete messages in a clients mailbox then it's ok.
    Maybe legally, but definitely not ethically in my book. What, want the government to censor what mail you receive via the postal service?
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

If you don't sell your client's email address, those emails are spam.

Just setup a spam filter, add a spam tag to those emails, and then teach them how to move spam to another folder.

pls read above, filter has already been setup, the question was about the emails already delivered.

well i pacified the reseller, that nothing much can be done about the emails already delivered.
    But as suggested by me, he has already reported all the spam emails to spamcop, so now the spammer may have busy time explaining to his datacenter. and maynot repeat again.

Originally posted by daveman
    Maybe legally, but definitely not ethically in my book. What, want the government to censor what mail you receive via the postal service?
    I wish they would !!!!!!!

About 90% of the mail I receive is junk mail paper spam !!!!