Hiding in a corner all of a sudden

Hi everyone,

After being with *shivers* cihost for over 2 years I want to move over to servermatrix because of bandwidth issues. However, after spending the past 5 hours reading through the forums and the forums at servermatrix I'm beginning to think that their dedicated servers are left in the dark and all the responsibility for securing them and making sure they run properly come down to me.

With my current host I've never really had to do anything except check the server load occasionally, kill certain processes and restart apache, but it seems like the servers at SM are stripped naked and I'd have to install all the security apps and added modules. I'm no Linux expert (I can learn), but how much hard work would I have to do just to make sure the server is up and running as it should?

And just as an aside, which version of Linux would you recommend I opt for? I've got 7.3 on my current host, but SM offer 9 and Enterprise 3.

Would appreciate any views.

Thanks.

Between 7.3 and 9.0 I definitely choose 7.3, you'll get the a few people telling you otherwise due to the remaining 50 days to EOL, but for in my experience 7.3 is more compatible with various software (e.g. grSecurity PAX) and has caused us much less trouble.

But between 7.3 and Enterprise I'd probably recommend Enterprise since you'll have the continued updates from RedHat, which you can install with up2date, I think this would suit you.

You'll get a few server administrator individuals/companies posting shortly telling you to hire an administrator with their signatures advertising exactly that (time for crack down). But SM do provide security updates and offer their own managed services perhaps you'd be better to look into them.

I agree with MattF, 7.3 is best, I still run it on most servers and will continue to do so despite the EOL approaching, I will move to RHE in time.

Servermatrix IMHO offer the best managed package at the moment and as MattF says you will have the beneft of updates coming through via up2date on Enterprise.

Matt

I can understand your recommendation of 7.3, but RHE over RH9?

Have you not read ANY of the threads over the last month or so and the headaches RHE has been causing?

sure, if he was experienced with Linux, doesn't really matter what version of RH he chooses.. but he wants something as straight-forward as possible.. that will give him the least amount of headaches..

RH9 and Cpanel are the best combination for those needs... it has the greatest support and largest user base at this time.

As long as you get CPanel.. you shouldn't have to worry to much about the nitty gritty when it comes to your server.. and if you wanted to be really safe.. just have thelinuxguy(steve) do his server securing and vulnerability assesments every couple months.

I can understand some people just need dedicated servers because that have Really Popular and resource intensive sites.. not because they want to be the next PAIR.com

Matt and Wisener are probally comming from a more Anti-Cpanel approach, which in your case, is unnecessary.

I mention RHE becuase the user does not specify cPanel. RHE is a supported operating system, as long as the system with registered correctly with RedHat then up2date "should" provide flawlessly security updates. RH 9 is approaching EOL. Whilst this isnt a problem for experienced admin (.e.g compile from source, legacy project, even progeny etc..) as some who wants a less trouble as possible then I would initially advise RHE.

Of course, is there a particular piece of software such as cPanel and if known conflicts exists then perhaps considering RH 9 or RH 7.3 would be more beneficial.
    MattF - Since the start..

I can only think of a few Linux distros I would consider "secure" out of the box and unless I contract for management service I wouldn't leave the security of my servers in any hosting companies hands. It's true some do more than others but the larger hosts present other unique problems, such as having IP blocks well known to hackers who scan them constantly looking for fresh insecure servers. I'd advise hiring a consultant to at least secure and maintain security on your servers, then you have someone on standby if you need more extensive help or application support. The cost of this would not be that prohibitive.
    www.fxpbackup.com
    www.volohost.net
    Gnax dedicated servers and backup solutions.

Generally the end user [You] are responsible for securing your server. I don't know of too many places that will install stuff like logwatch, tripwire,firewalls etc.. With so many different people ordering servers and wanting different configurations it would become a headache. But yes there are a few places that will help you out with security, Not sure if SM is one of them though.

RH7.3 is sweet. RHEL3 has caused me some probs with configuring apache2.0, but after I've downgraded to good old Apache1.3 everything turned out to be nice and stable.

tho I like my FreeBSD4.9 boxes more

IIRC There was one small problem configuring Apache 2 on RHEL3. I downloading the missing library and configured successfully. I can't remember exactly what thrown the error but it was easy to correct.
    MattF - Since the start..