Angry Cheated.... Need Help

I had my site running for a more than a month now calanhost.com. I had decided on this host because of the price and also they had good reviews. Now from last 4 days out of the blue my site is totally down and i cannot contact them or check my mail. Even their own site is not working now. I tried to call the Tech Support and it says leave a message and then it says the box is full.... Now i dont know what to do. Is there anything that can be done here. Any one hosting currently on calanhost.com.
    Please help...

4 days downtime is totally unacceptable with no warnings on why it is happening.

If you paid monthly, I'd reccomend just packing your bags and moving.

If you paid yearly then try a chargeback - it seems you've tried every other means of contacting them you can.

<Edited: Play nice please>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-09-2004 at 06:46 AM.
    Gone.

hmm

i think you shuld wait for few days before you do any think. Do access your FTP. I think somethink wrong with there box.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Originally posted by phision.com
    4 days downtime is totally unacceptable with no warnings on why it is happening.

If you paid monthly, I'd reccomend just packing your bags and moving.

If you paid yearly ([size=tiny]you fool![/size]) then try a chargeback - it seems you've tried every other means of contacting them you can.
    I agree. Pack your bags. In the past I have been in a situation with a host that was down for over a week. During that time I found a new host and moved.

Good luck!
    Sara

Sara Nelson Photography Preserving your moments since 1973.

Thanks you all for your suggestions.. Yes now i also thinking of packing bags and leaving them... I had put in alot of effort in making my flash site and putting it online and now all wasted.. And i made a mistak of not taking back ups although i have all the files but my guestbook entries are gone now ... Yes i paid them for year ... I am now planning to host at discountasp.net.What do u guys say?

Since you paid them a year in advance, my advice would to do monthly payments from now on. Hopefully you can get your money back!
    Sara

Thank You Southern Gal for the help.. You are right from now on i will go with monthly payment.. I dont think i will get my money back but lets see...

There's a small chance you will get part of your money back. It's an expensive lesson to learn and hopefully you can pass that lesson on to someone before they learn it the hard way.

I don't know anything about discountasp.net, sorry.
    Sara

my dad's business also uses calanhost and is down. i've had problems before where all of my files were deleted, but calanhost itself hasn't been down until now and all i used to do was reupload.

something i can add to this thread is that i can't get into any of the online services, such as stats and control panel; the operation times out.

all i can do is sympathize with you and hope this will work out for both of us. i talked with the owner several times over the phone, and always had good customer service. this is hard to swallow.
    ~ bttrflii

If you payed by paypal.

Issue a chargeback explain whats happend and paypal should get all your money back.

Give them a chance to get back up before doing a chargeback. If they are reputable they will refund your money. Make sure you find a new host if this is not your style of hosting. And like they all said pay monthly and dont get penalyzed for paying monthly by paying a setup fee.

I have already started to look at other hosting options.. I cant wait now. Its been 5 days now and thats too long. Atleast they should have informed if they had problems with the server but it dosent seem so.. I think they have shut!! Its bad luck to us Flii...
    Can anyone suggest good reliable windows hosting.. I found Exovian.com and Discountasp.net good.. Now Exovian has mixed bag review here.. So now i am confused should i host with them or not.. Any suggestions..
    Last edited by mrunal; 03-07-2004 at 03:09 AM.

i cant imagine how many clients would hang me for five days like that.....
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Time to move on.

Five days of down time is nuts.
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

Give them a chance to get back up before doing a chargeback.

Don't give them too long. 5 days is way long enough to at least tell their customers what is going on.

Sounds to me like they've pulled a fast one

Yes 5 days is lon enough

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php is said to be useful...

And try not to hurry... Carefully weight the trustworthiness of hosts...

Thank You all for the help.. Now i dont want to try and contact calanhost.com. Its waste of time and i wasted enough time trying to get in touch with them... Anyway planning to host with exovian.net.... And will go with monthly payment

try rackforce.com

No, try to search for rackforce FIRST! I just did and found mostly bad reviews.

thier support is really good, most of those bad reviews are just because they dont knwo how to manage server...

if you want a fully unmanaged server, rackforce.com & rackshack.net are your best options...

otherwise, you'd have to settle for a shared hosting provider, try webhostdir.com, they have a whole list of all the web hosting sellers...

Move

If a host doesn't give you any warning about being down for maintenance or anything, pack your bags and leave and like they said here, never pay yearly. I never do. Always backup your website files and be ready for a quick move. The pain is waiting for the the nameservers to go to the new host.
    Some of these hosting companies are here today and gone tomorrow.

Originally posted by acewebi
    thier support is really good, most of those bad reviews are just because they dont knwo how to manage server...
    I mailed them pre-sales question 6 hours ago. No reply so far. So, you might still think it's good, but let me have my own opinion about this.

Thaks guys for the replies.. I have signed up with exovian now on monthly basis... Will let u people know when my site is online