what is bgp4? an what is 100% als?

what is bgp4? and what is 100% als? what als stand for?
    is that host related? or bandwidth provider related?
    how can we know if a host uses bgp4 or not?

BGP4 would be multiple carriers that are connected in a way together so that if 1 of them is down, the other should pick it up. Could also be used for hop count. not sure what ALS is but do you mean SLA. If you mean SLA it means Service Level Agreement. Basically if the service is not 100% as far as network latency and uptime goes they are supposed to honor credits.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

BGP4 is the protocol used to exchange routing information (announcing your routes, and learning other providers routes) with other network providers.

This is used when you have multiple transit providers and/or peer at internet exchange points rather than running with just a simple default route.
    Paul Civati
    Rack Sense Ltd UK Managed Services Provider
    Views expressed are my own and not those of the company.

Re: what is bgp4? an what is 100% als?

Originally posted by sallam
    what is bgp4? and what is 100% als? what als stand for?
    is that host related? or bandwidth provider related?
    how can we know if a host uses bgp4 or not?
    BGP4 is when several different bandwidth providers is added too one mix, so in case on providers goes down will another one take over immediately. When using BGP4 will your server go through the fastest route when connection to another server or client.

You canít see if a provider has BGP4 or not but you can try to make traceroutes from different networks and see if the traceroute shows different routes through different bandwidth providers.

Sure you donít mean SLA instead of ALS? SLA is short for Service Level Agreement and with a 100% SLA does it mean that the service you have ordered always will be available and never go down and if it does anyway will you in most cases get some kind of compensation.

Yes, I meant SLA, sorry.
    Thanks for explaining. Anyway we could tell whether a host is using bgp4 ro not?

edit: ooops sory, I posted this while it was being answered just above it. Thanks a million
    Last edited by sallam; 03-06-2004 at 09:39 AM.

whats a ip or a domain on the host and we cna tell you.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

gawaher.com

It can be hard to tell, you could ask, although a lot of people these days seem to have a habit of talking about their providers network as if it is their own infrastructure. You could find the IP of where your servers would be located, do a lookup and then see if they have an AS number (which is used for BGP4 routing).

Not being a BGP4 network isn't necessarily a problem IMO, if they upstream into a large provider who have the necessary support and infrastructure in place.
    Paul Civati

% host www.gawaher.com
    www.gawaher.com is a nickname for gawaher.com
    gawaher.com has address 65.77.82.121

% whois -h whois.arin.net 65.77.82.121
    Williams Communications, Incorporated WCG-BLK-3 (NET-65-77-0-0-1)
    65.77.0.0 - 65.77.255.255
    WholeSale Internet WLCO-TWC02076034-WHOLESALE-INTERNET (NET-65-77-80-0-1)
    65.77.80.0 - 65.77.87.255
    KCNetPro, LLC KCNETPRO (NET-65-77-82-0-1)
    65.77.82.0 - 65.77.82.255

% whois -h whois.radb.net 65.77.82.121
    route: 65.77.0.0/16
    descr: Wiltel Communications Group
    origin: AS7911
    Paul Civati

thanks so much, now could you please explain those results to a newbie like me?
    and what do you use to get those results.
    For example, I go to dnsstuff.com and get confused at the many tools there and often dont know which to use for what

Means they only have one bandwidth provider.

I used command line UNIX tools (DNS lookup, and whois query) to get the results.

The first command does a DNS lookup to give the IP address of their web site.

The second command does a whois lookup (on the ARIN database - they allocate all US IP blocks) on the IP to see who it is allocated to.

The third command does a whois lookup (on the RADB database - I believe they collect the info from other routing databases) to see what AS is assocated with that IP network.

You can probably find web based tools to do the same kind of lookups.

The results indicate that the IP block in question is routed as part of WCG/Wiltel's AS and thus your provider is probably single homed.
    Paul Civati