* Datacenter that do not terminated all your webhosting servers for 1 fraud report?

I'm scared about last ServerMatrix actions.
    Read this.
    It happens before (use searching in WHM) and continue to happen and now.

It really scared me as webhosting company owner because I fill not-protected of such kind of issues (please do noit tell me "such kind of issues is 100% your fault" - I never beleive then that you ever run webhosting business).

I'm looking for solution, not for dispute.

I do not like and not to allow and not to approve such situations but I do not like when WHOLE my business went down in 5 minutes because of that I can not control even for 1%.
    What sence in this business at all then?
    Pricing, good support - all this is nothing in comparing with feeling your business is safe.

So and I ask what company gave to client some more time than 5 minutes to react in such situations?

Did you experienced with it?
    If so, could you please tell all of us here real story from your business, with details: which company, etc.

It really helps all of us here.

I and another 612 sites experienced the same from the hands of ThePlanet PE officers on Feb 12th, 2004.

I must be a kind of freaking masochist, because after this incident, I purchased my first server from SM.

Good grief...anybody else having trouble deciphering this? Reading the linked thread over on ServerMatrix is even more tedious. AlexAT's post on that thread got it locked.

The problem seems to have arisen because one of ServerMatrix's customers was unreachable (for some amount of time) to handle a fraud complaint, so they took their server(s) offline.

Sounds very Bangalore and not so much Bay Area to me...

Bangalore may offer us some yogaja-pratyaksa (Yogic intuition) technique to grasp the meaning of what has happened.

Very strange - and their answer to the thread in their forums did not provide real answers....

Originally posted by Walter
    Very strange - and their answer to the thread in their forums did not provide real answers....
    As usual in such situations.
    They find 1 reason for which they can decide to turn off whole your business but skip much other reasons and do not provide actions that will solve the problem for both them and hoster be happy.

But guys, if you run web hosting business for years (I'm only 1 year old in this) you should have experience with such fraud customers.
    There is no way to track it by your own, he can sign up with valid website and then after say month create 1 small page and start fraud.
    It is very easy even to destroy your competitor's business.

One day your datacenter recieve complain.

What happen then with you?

Are you people speaking english?

From SM's perspective, I see at least one issue. Someone mentioned leaving the server on for 10 hours to give you time to do something about it. The problem with this is that is 10 hours of a fraud being committed (such as a Paypal scam). What happens when someone finds out they have been scammed by someone, and the server owner knew that site was there, keeping in my that SM is technically the server owner. Lets see...SM is notified of a fraud taking place, but does nothing about it....that opens a whole can of worms for them.

With all that said, I do believe their PE should have access to the escalation procedure. While the escalation procedure is really for the techs should a server go down, I still placed in ours instructions on what to do if someone should send spam or commit some sort of fraud. I have no problems with SM going in and removing a violating account.

I am troubled by the fact that all servers are removed instead of just the offending server....however, I question if you have had any previous issues with PE in the past. If it is a recurring problem, I see no problem pulling the plug on all of the servers.

A scenario comes to mind that what should SM do if the host themselves are either spammers or fraudsters. The host could have a site sending spam....SM notifies the host. The host says they have removed it...then starts up with another site. Just because we are all web hosts doesn't mean we are on the up-and-up. I've seens plenty of hosts who were spammers or scammers themselves. Know what I mean?

I rather thought that 'Managed servers' at Silver category should check and have resolutions for downed services, dead servers and at least basic management to complains like spam.

I thought that they checked for downed services and restarts it for you..... that was the impression I got from the FAQ. But after signing up, they said it is only monitoring they would only email you for any downed services. My ev1 account has that services too. This isn't a real help since emails to my mobile phone is blocked if it originates from outside Malaysia. I thought basic managed services should at least restart downed monitored services for you since the ROOT pass is already put into ORBIT.

Downed server...... what is there to put into the escalation other than RESTART the server? That they would do.

Now, after reading about the SPAM and FRAUD thingies, I am not even sure if I can trust my SM box to put new clients in. I am in Malaysia and when it is day time in USA, night time in Malaysia.... so if 10 hours for resolution (like someone suggested for SM to give) of anything is not enough. I thought Managed services should at least include login into the server and disabling the account.... cPanel isn't that hard to work it, is it?

EV1 does disable your 1 offending server ONLY (BUT DOES NOT CANCEL YOUR WHOLE ACCOUNT!), if it gets any reports of SPAM and FRAUD too I think (in the EV1servers chat, you see alot of ppl complaining about unplugged servers) and that is supposed to be unmanaged. So I can't complain about that.

I am sure EV1 doesn't act on an email about FRAUD or SPAM immediately but give you sufficient time to resolve the problem.
    I sometimes get an emails about some site on the EV1 server sending SPAM emails from someone. The email is sent to me and CC-ed to EV1 abuse. When I get it, I disable the account and CC EV1 that I disabled the account and never hear a thing from EV1. Now IF EV1 did log into my server and disabled the account, I would be so happy.... but then ev1 is UNMANAGED.

So what is the difference between ev1 unmanged and sm silver managed other than SM reboot your server WHEN downed?

I think SM shoudn't advertise that they monitor HTTP and FTP services.... since they don't actually do that.... only automated monitoring like what EV1 does without advertising. Getting an email about downed services while I am away from the computer is no help.

Just my surprise after I signed up with SM and cancelled my RaQ at EV1.
    Last edited by zbco; 03-06-2004 at 12:47 PM.

2 OutOfTheBox:
    how do you think ?

2 mspottedhors:
    I'm not sure escalation procedure will affect this kind of issue at all.
    There were no statement about it should.

About spam - at least they give you 24 hours to answer for abuse.
    In case of fraud - 0 hours.
    That's scare me.
    I understand investigation, erasing site content at all but not just ruine the business.

And - this happen not with me, with other host.
    But now I feel uncomfortable because it can happen with me, with you - in any time.

Okay I dont understand the broken english :-/

That was my point about fraud. If a website is committing any type of fraud, whether Paypal or Credit Card fraud, 1 hour can be too long when taken the victims into consideration.

We are mostly web hosts here at WHT, and we all get fraudulent CC orders from stolen cards. Many of those numbers come from fraud sites collecting that information. Think of the impact that CC fraud has on web hosting alone...the consider every other industry.

I would have no objections with SM instituting a policy to log in to a server and remove the account....as long as it isn't a continuing problem for that host. Repeat offenders should have their servers unplugged.

Alex, I'm not doubting your concerns at all, as getting a server unplugged is a scary thought. As hosts, we do have to take some responsibility as to what is happening with our servers.

Are you sure this was a one time offense with this particular host?

Try posting in your native language, and see if someone can translate or perhaps even write back in it for you.

And to those complaining about his English: Hes trying his hardest obviously to communicate in English, you shouldnt critisize him for it.

2 OutOfTheBox:
    I can wrote Russain, Ukrainian but think you better understand my English

2 mspottedhors:
    no problem.
    I have nothing you can propose to do with such carders and other bad guys.
    But why to ruine whole webhost business?

I know about my own responsibility.
    But as I've said it can happen even you and your team 24 hours a day looking into your clients sites content through browser.

Are you sure this was a one time offense with this particular host?
    AFAIR there were stated nothing about "it happen not first time" in both cases.

But: guys, I asked about datacenters which provide some clear statements and sctrict terms for such kind of situations.

I really need solution, I do not want to flaming just saying "how bad SM so unstable for business".
    They do they business how they want.

I'm doing my business and want to know for 100% what to expect and what datacenters really care about own clients providing really helpful and as possible painless solution.

As I've said, money - is nothing in such cases.
    You by yourself prefer to pay more monthly for your servers to stable datacenter than trying to explain to your hundreds clients that they sites went offline for hours and maybe days.

That is I'm looking for...

p.s. heh, sorry for my English

We've gotten these kind of complaints before.

Our policy is to take a box offline only as a last resort. If we know the root password to the machine, and the owner has given us permission to do so, we will log in and just disable the offending account.

If we don't know the root password we have no choice but to disable the machine.

Of course, we always try to contact the owner first and give him a little while to respond.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

2 WII-Aaron:
    Here (www.wholesaleinternet.com) I see only webhosting company.

I asked about datacenters. Like EV1 etc...

Originally posted by AlexAT
    2 WII-Aaron:
    Here (www.wholesaleinternet.com) I see only webhosting company.

I asked about datacenters. Like EV1 etc...
    We own our own Datacenter.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

WII do offer dedicated servers if I remember reading a thread somewhere..... but I think at another URL.

I think I should contact your directly for all needed information (spec, connection, backbones, prices at least)?

edit: already find your propostitions in offers forum.
    thank you!
    Last edited by AlexAT; 03-06-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by OutOfTheBox
    Are you people speaking english?
    english? No, they're speaking English.

Originally posted by OutOfTheBox
    Okay I dont understand the broken english :-/
    So it must be hard for you to communicate in the United States. I have a lot of friends there, and many of them speak what you'd call a "broken english" [sic]... I understand them, they understand me (and mine is also "broken") and they understand themselves, though.

And I don't think that's that rare, as I've seen some "broken english" guys become President...