what are the basics i should look for in a new host?

i'm a newb. the only hosts i've used are geocities, freeservers, and netstartz. now that i'm free to look for a new host i have no idea what to look for. i have no idea what the difference between linux and windows are with respect to hosting. from what i've been able to tell, if you run a site that needs databases (ie forums and what not) i think that you'd need a linux server. but that's just my instinct. i saw someone talk about how hosts that use 2checkout are substandard? i have no idea. what's the need for dedicated servers? do i need that to run a small webpage that only my friends visit?

i'm sorry for all the questions, but the answers will be extremely appreciated. thanks!

You don't need a dedicated server.

For a small site that a few friends will visit you will probably need 50-300mb of disk space and 1-3gb transfer.
    You should be able to find this with a reliable host in the $3.00/month range.
    Search around this forum and don't make a quick decision especially if the deal looks too good to be true.
    Sometimes less is more.

Re: what are the basics i should look for in a new host?

Originally posted by panopticonis
    i'm a newb. the only hosts i've used are geocities, freeservers, and netstartz. now that i'm free to look for a new host i have no idea what to look for. i have no idea what the difference between linux and windows are with respect to hosting. from what i've been able to tell, if you run a site that needs databases (ie forums and what not) i think that you'd need a linux server. but that's just my instinct. i saw someone talk about how hosts that use 2checkout are substandard? i have no idea. what's the need for dedicated servers? do i need that to run a small webpage that only my friends visit?

i'm sorry for all the questions, but the answers will be extremely appreciated. thanks!
    Welcome to the forums, panopticonis!

What kind of site do you want to run? A site with regular HTML pages or something with a database? Once you figure that out, it will give you a better idea of where to look.

Most hosts offer Linux/Unix; unless you're planning to do programming in ASP or other Microsoft related applications you'll likely be fine with Linux.

As for hosts using 2checkout being substandard, that is purely a matter of opinion. (At least in my book). I would look more at their reputation, support responses, and overall customer service before I'd worry too much about their payment processor.

You would not need a dedicated server to run a small site. Start with a small account at a host that can answer the questions you have, and learn as you go. Work your way up.

Take a look around and make a list of some of the hosts here, send them an email to get an idea of their response times/customer service, and don't be afraid to do a search to see what others have to say.

Hope this helps
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

i saw someone talk about how hosts that use 2checkout are substandard?
    well not exactly ,some people like red button up shirts and others like green pullovers .... (you will find out theres lots of opinions in here)
    I would look for a host that will take time to help you get setup with a domain name off to a good start.
    alothought yearly fees save you money,I would try out a host for a few months paying monthly before going for a yearly package.

checkout findmyhosting.com

Hi panopticonis,
    Have to agree with grace5 here, look for a host that's willing to spend some time with you working out exactly what fits your requirements and budget.

Some of the basic things you need to look for are:

Reliability
    True 24/7 Support
    And as your a newb, a host that has tutorials, documentation etc. and is willing to help you with things until you are able to do it yourself.

To find the right host isn't easy because there are so many to choose from and so many of them are, well lets just say below standard. The best way to choose the right host for you is to check for customer testimonials on their site, email them, ask questions (as many as you need to) get to know them and what they have to offer and if you like the replies you get try them for a couple of months.

And once you have found a host you are happy with and have been with them for at least a couple of months, come back here and let people know, so there search for a host will be a bit easier.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=198688

Check that out, pretty good written

Well dont be sorry for questions! You will learn in no time.
    You certainly do not need a dedicated server though. I would suggest starting with a small plan and just check with your potential host to make sure they allow free upgrades. Most co. now offer some sort of control panel so maintaining your site is very simple. Be sure to send some questions in to your potential host though.
    Here are a few guidelines I posted at WHD:
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/showthr...&threadid=5972
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Originally posted by Bright-Byte

True 24/7 Support

Nearly all hosts promise this, but I'd say only a tiny percentage follow through...

Welcome to WHT!

From my personal experience start small and build up as your site grows. My first personal domain was hosted on a free server, so I could get my feet wet. Once I figured out how things worked, I purchased hosting from a Linux host and I was on a shared server. Dedicated isn't really necessary for a small website like you are talking about.

Hope this helps!
    Sara

Sara Nelson Photography Preserving your moments since 1973.