Melbourne Downunder

Naivete or worse from Nigeria

Nuhu Ribadu, head of Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has some rather curious comments about the email scams from his country.

" We have some 130 million people in Nigeria and I can assure that there are only between 50,000 and 100,000 people involved in this thing. ". He also says that a lot of people in Nigeria don't have their own computer and so use internet cafes which must " police their facilities and not allow them to be used by criminals to defraud and cheat people."

That seems like a lot of people sending emails. And if they're sending this crapp from intenet cafes ... how can they be policed ? What a joke. Expect these stupid emails to keep arriving your inbox. Sent to you by between 50,000 and 100,000 would-be thieves

Ribadu also says, in what can only be descibed as unbelievable naivete, that cafes must be the same as the banking sector. "If you allow your bank to dupe someone, you will be personally liable, you will be asked to pay back this money."

from BBC News :
    If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Burbank California
    I was playing along with one of these Nigerian scammers late last year on an IRC room; he was selling an *new* Alienware notebook for an impossible price, I knew it was impossible cause 1) Im an alienware owner.. and 2) it was just plain BS
    I then reported him to Western Union (which he asked to transfer money with) and Alienware.

Both told me to contact the IFCC (Internet Fraud Complaint Center).. which is part of the FBI