* .uk registrars and dns

does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle the dns of my domain names? whats the best way that will enable me to manage dns the best

the more i've had a look the more im confused. you set the nameservers of your domain name. i currently do this at my registrar, www.ukreg.com. they only allow you to set the nameservers

i have seen dns able to be modified in whm but also at the registrar too (enom have advanced dns, well more than ukreg offer) and 3rd party managers such as zonedit

where is the true place that dns is managed? if i have a domain at enom do i either use the dns functions in whm and only set the nameservers at enom or if i set it at enom, whm wont affect it?

is there a reliable place where i can manage dns as a third party or is this best done in whm or with the registrar

one of the reasons im asking is that dnsreports is telling me the ttl is different in two diferent places, i know one can be managed in whm but where is the other stored if my registrar doesnt provide the option?

or am i just being stupid?

if you have 2 different cpanel servers set them as master/slave with trust relation to host your dns better.

or use other services like zoneedit or even enom, you can purchase DNS hosting with enom if the domain is hosted externally
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

thanks for your reply

i've looked into most aspects but DNS is one of them issues thats stopping me making the jump from just web design and basic hosting to offering better hosting

whats confusing me at the moment is the different places DNS can be stored and what combination. is the DNS stored and can be modified at different places. for example changed within whm and changed in the registrar? or is it one or the other?

the difference in ttl is what highlighted this, as i've looked into this in whm and it is 14400 but dnsreports shows 172800 is also stored at the parent

im guessing this would be at my registrar who is only letting me change the name servers and nothing else, and setting the ttl automatically?

whats confusing me at the moment is the different places DNS can be stored and what combination. is the DNS stored and can be modified at different places. for example changed within whm and changed in the registrar? or is it one or the other?
    I think you're *unnecessarily* confusing yourself but not understanding the difference between NS and DNS...

each domain have 1 or more *NAMESERVERS* listed which hold the DNS records for that domain

DNS records specify thing like where the domain is, what to do with mail addressed to the domain, etc.

if you're registering domains and stting the NS to
    ns1.yourbusiness.co.uk
    ns2.yourbusiness.co.uk
    then everything *about* those domains is stored as DNS records
    on ns1.yourbusiness.co.uk, ns2.yourbusiness.co.uk nowhere else.

pick yourself up a copy of DNS&BIND off amazon ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

google i've seen pdf version of this book
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi