Off Network Emails

Anyone here use off network support/contact email as a backup? Such as when the servers go down, ddos attacks, data center loses verio etc.

Do you use your ISP email, hotmail, yahoo?

A lot of people get a cheap dedicated server at either EV1, *******, etc and setup a help desk / email account on it.

Others use it for seconday DNS so if their main network goes down they can point all their sites to a temp. unavailable page.

If your just hosting a few people, friends, or people you know I suppose hotmail, etc is fine but it looks unprofessional if you are selling to the public or have big customers.

You could also use a VPS for this and they are really cheap, $20-30.

Already have 2 servers at 2 different data centers, was looking for a fail safe option than yet another server.

I had thought of yahell/hotmail, because if those become unreachable, then we got more things to worry about...

woogs i don't get what you mean, if his was a sub, like help.domain.com, would that not go down with domain.com?

Not if he is doing DNS like it should be run =)

If he has a secondary DNS server on another network it will still be up and continue to point the MX records for the sub domain email to whatever email provider he chooses to use.

Would something like everyone.net work for something like this where it is still your domain.com but hosted on there servers? Not real familiar with there service so don't really know?

Yes it would.

I host my actual web site on another host's servers, which is great because I don't have to worry about it.

Of course, I have my own servers for helpdesk and clients.
    Liam - iFuse Technologies Limited
    iFuseHosting - Shared, VPS, Reseller & Dedicated.

We use a separate box entirely for support/email/whatnot. DNS is distributed across 3 datacenters. Makes it nice if a datacenter drops - the customers still get their support.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002