Unix vs. Windows..... what's really the difference?

I thought I knew once, but now that I'm having to look for a new host after Netstartz has went under, the one that seems kind of a good deal is http://www.myonehome.com
    Though, not sure how good they are, I noticed the features in their Reseller accounts cause I need multidomain hosting, and now I'm confused.

http://myonehome.com/service_plan.asp

I'm confused because I thought some of those features used to only work under Unix and not Windows.... or does it not really matter anymore, that Unix dezigned scripts are multi-operating system as long as the features are in place like PHP, MySQL, PERL etc.?

Thus, one doesn't any longer need ASP designed scripts ONLY to run in windows servers???

I'm out of date and confused, could someone give me some detailed enlightenment?
    Tell me, I Forget. Show me, I Remember.
    Teach me, I Learn. "Involve Me", and I BECOME !!!

Hi leeuniverse,

If your site is all static contents, you may run on both server platform without any problems.

If you need to run ASP, ASP.NET, ODBC, MS SQL Server and those Microsoft Server Side Scripting, you have to host on a Windows server.

Although PHP, Perl, MySQL also can run well on Windows, however I recommend you to run these on Linux.

Hope this can help.
    ******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

Although PHP, Perl, MySQL also can run well on Windows, however I recommend you to run these on Linux.
    Thanks....

What would be the reasoning for this recommendation?
    I can't remember, but is it because most of those types of scripts are made with the "Paths" and features for Linux and not Windows, or is that something different not mattering?
    Last edited by leeuniverse; 03-05-2004 at 05:16 PM.

Originally posted by leeuniverse
    Thanks....

What would be the reasoning for this recommendation?
    I can't remember, but is it because most of those types of scripts are made with the "Paths" and features for Linux and not Windows, or is that something different not mattering?
    I'm just guessing, but I'd guess thats its cause they were designed around linux and were "ported" into windows. Thats jsut a guess though

Take PHP for examples, some of the variables are not supported when you run with IIS.

Also some of the Per Modules also not supported in Windows
    ******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

The most commonly used scripting language on the internet is php, (not included HTML, that is a MARKUP language). Basically, the programmer who invented ASP just didn't make it Linux compatible.

- Azure

Take PHP for examples, some of the variables are not supported when you run with IIS.

Also some of the Per Modules also not supported in Windows
    Ah.... Yep, that would definately be an issue than, cause there's nothing more than I hate is not being able to get scripts to work with a host.
    So, I guess I'm going to have to stick with Linux.

Anyone know of a reliable but cheap reseller host these days?
    Many seem pretty new....

I see it's often recomended to use *nix for php, perl, mysql etc. but in my experience compatibility is not a significant issue. I develop on a Windows machine and all my websites are hosted on Linux servers. It works. Reasons for Linux is that it is cheaper with better stability and security.
    Good Web Hosting Info - Information about web hosting

hmm.... This article might help you out:

http://kirch.net/unix-nt/

A bit outdated, but offers good info.

Regards,
    Deffy

I see it's often recomended to use *nix for php, perl, mysql etc. but in my experience compatibility is not a significant issue. I develop on a Windows machine and all my websites are hosted on Linux servers. It works. Reasons for Linux is that it is cheaper with better stability and security.
    Yes thats because all the functions that work on windows will work on linux servers, but if you develop on linux some of the functions you can use might not be available on windows.

Well, without getting into the "*Nix VS Windows" debate again, here's some simple points:

Developers Choice?: Windows
    Average User's choice?: Unix

The thing a lot of people don't realise, is that there is lots of things that Windows systems can do, but *nix systems can't, but there's not a lot of things that *nix systems can do, that Windows system can't.

mySQL, Perl, PHP all work very smoothly on a properly setup windows system, contrary to popular opinion.

The above is what a lot of people forget. Windows, when setup correctly, and maintained correctly, is a beast unto it's self, and a true dominant OS. Too many people get into the windows side of things (admin), not knowing what they are doing, and then blame microsoft for their own inability to manage a windows server.

In my opinion, *nix is still playing catch-up, and will be for some time to come.

Simon

Question

leeuniverse, Was wondering if you went with myonehome and what you thought of them if you did? I am also a vanquished Netstartz customer but I am actually looking for Windows hosting this time....

and then blame microsoft for their own inability to manage a windows server.

Don't you think Microsoft announcing security flaws every now and then contradicts your statement..

Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by domainwala
    Don't you think Microsoft announcing security flaws every now and then contradicts your statement..

Not at all.

A security flaw is just that, a flaw that takes around 45 seconds to patch.

Security flaws are found in Linux systems also, and are taken care of in the exact same manner.

I'm interested, why do you feel that contradicts my statement?

Keep in mind, patching a server when a security flaw is found, is nothing to do with controlling your IIS environment, nor anything else found in the windows server environment.

A security patch does not dictate whether your admin let IIS crash out beyond repair, which is the most common problem found with Windows Admins (same as *nix admins crashing and burning apache)

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 03-11-2004 at 10:09 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Originally posted by ksstudio
    Hi leeuniverse,

If your site is all static contents, you may run on both server platform without any problems.

If you need to run ASP, ASP.NET, ODBC, MS SQL Server and those Microsoft Server Side Scripting, you have to host on a Windows server.

Hope this can help.
    Depends on how the windows server is setup, it might not have the full functions as on a unix box.

Originally posted by MechaDragon
    leeuniverse, Was wondering if you went with myonehome and what you thought of them if you did? I am also a vanquished Netstartz customer but I am actually looking for Windows hosting this time....
    Naw.... I've decided not to go with them, as they seem a bit too new as well.
    I'm now looking at Mesopia / Equivity / ServerPlace / & Tomsyer.
    Mesopia seems well established and fairly large, but they don't offer as much resources.
    Serverplace looks about the same but has had a couple of negative comments, though still seem good.
    Equivity seems good, but their still young so I'm scared, and they've had some momemts of issues.
    I was thinking about going with Tomsyer, but they've had some bad comments, but now some of their site images don't even show up, so at the moment I'm debating between Equivity and Mesopia.

I might go with Mesopia even though they don't have the resources that I would like to grow into, it's likely enough for awhile still.
    I need to settle down and develop my sites, tired of moving around.

Here we go...Windows Geeks vs Linux Geeks....ready..set...fight!

Only true operationg system is Z/OS baby...

How is unix playing catch up when it has been a server OS for 3x as long as windows ?

Originally posted by IHSL

In my opinion, *nix is still playing catch-up, and will be for some time to come.

Simon [/B]

That depends on what type of scripts or components you're going to use. Perl and PHP works well on Unix platforrm.

If you ought to use ASP, .net framework, asp components, MS SQL , then better use Windows platform.
    Web Burner Windows 2000 Hosting
    http://www.webburner.com
    Toll Free Phone: (877) 535-2876