Thread: Need a New Host

Need a New Host

Hi all-
    I did a google search and found this forum. I hope it can help.

I currently have an account with Digihosters.com. I've had it for about 2+ years. For $20 a month he gives me 10G of space and 100G of bandwidth. I use the space but not the bandwidth. During that 2 year time, I'd say that the site is up maybe 80% of the time. It seems that whenever I have a report due and have others check it out and emial it back to me, I have an emial issue. Well this last time is the last straw. I've been without email access for 9 days now. Everyday I post a note to the tech support to please fix it, and even do as much as I can by creating an account, adding or removing it or a default address. But no luck, after 9 days, and three emails to the owner, I need to find a more relaible host.

I own Greyhawkonline.com. It's a role playing game site. On it I host several files and background sites that all relate to Dungeons and Dragons and mainly Greyhawk. I also own 5 other domain names (one will no longer be owned when it expires). ThePale.org, OerthJournal.com, and my school club ASC-CCSN.com and my daughters band at CHSBandnGuard.com. Traffic is very light, but the downloads are very active.
    So I need subdomain name support, min. of 100 ftp accounts, unlimited email accounts (pop3 and forwarding), message boards, - generaly the things offered by cPanel X.

As an editor, I'm willing to review some of the written content a provider has in exchange for getting me an account that has better realibility.
    Thanks-

Theocrat

Theocrat, you can try using this form: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Obligation-free.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

You may also want to find out what network they are hosted with, because if the problems were network-related a new host on the same network wouldn't help you much...

I have said it before, I'm hosting with ExperHosts.com they are the best company I ever hosted with, there was a time when I was looking for a good host moving from IONHOSTING to Matrix-Studio to AccuHosting to WebHostingBoy and finally came ExperHosts , always get replies within the same day (usually within 20 min)

Good Luck,
    Kevin

maniplus, please indicate which of your site is currently hosted by ExperHosts.
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

I'm kind of curious too maniplus.
    Considering ExperHosts have only been in business at the longest, since November, although they updated NS in February of this year, and they also offer 10gb space and 100gb transfer for $20, I don't know how you can really speak so highly of their hosting. Especially after so many bad experiences.
    A couple of weeks of quick email replies doesn't really make for a full experience.

It's also kind of funny how you go from a week ago saying that "try Experhosts, they seem to have good prices" to this week saying "they are the best host I have ever been with."
    Last edited by blue27; 03-05-2004 at 07:40 PM.

well, maybe if you had my experineces you would have understood. Im sick of hosts that take couple days to reply back, or when the company is managed by one person. So far ExperHosts was awesome comparing to the first months of other hostings.

It's also kind of funny how you go from a week ago saying that "try Experhosts, they seem to have good prices" to this week saying "they are the best host I have ever been with."
    I dont see whats funny about that.

Won't post my domains on here, If you want them feel free to send me an email at [email protected]

Kevin

Pretty much open and shut, from what I can see....
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

And is it just me or does their site look a lot like ev1servers.net?

I noticed it right off the bat

maniplus

It's a general rule here that if you are going to promote a host, you also post domains you have hosted with them. It's not private or personal information after all. If I close this thread, it's going to be assumed by the public that you are the host themselves, and will only give yourself or your host an initial bad rep here. Many new hosts come here acting as one of their own clients and bragging up the host, so if you are doing that, you arent being unique.
    Last edited by Webdude; 03-05-2004 at 08:51 PM.

I hope you're not talking to me, I'm not pimping a host.

And I do have a server with ev1servers...

Read the thread Stium.
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to maniplus.

I edited my post to clear it up

"Pimping a host" lol

Hosting

I see that many of the replies here are from web hosts. From searching around the 'net, nobody has what I'm looking for exactly. But then neither did Digihosters.com when I first worked with them I was on a different account and we had to create something that I wanted. Over time they just upped it to my current account.

I posted a question to experhosts, but they implied that I'd have to pay for each domain that I have. Thats not something I'm willing to do. Subdomains are easy to handle. The costs of Harddrives are falling, so space shouldn't be much of an issue. And I'm willing to go to 8G or even 5G in size and 50G in bandwidth, provided the other things are met (email support, ftp, subdomains, etc.).

I've looked at the people that have replied and their signatures, and checked out their hosting sites. Is there something that we can work out?
    Thanks-

:p

Alright thanks for clearing that up

hey slow down, why don't you send a FBI agent after me? Theocrat sent a post and I answered, Im saying my host is good now you can go do whatever you like all I care about is when I get my reply fast.

Im hosting CashOrTraffic.com with them almost half a million hits a day,

Feel free to ask my social security #

Good Luck,
    Kevin

So you've been with them for almost 2 weeks.
    Not exactly enough time to give a proper review much less spread their name all over this forum.
    Are you paying for your services with them?

Are you paying for your services with them?
    No, we are a charity organization so we don't pay for hosting, what are you thinking?

you know what, just forget it. I'm done with this threat.

Chill off, welcome to WHT , we have seen enough of scams and complaints, which you cannot blame us for being skeptical towards your comments.

Hi Theocrat,

You get what you paid for.

10GB w/ 100GB for $20, that is mad low without any "special" agreement. Expect $70 and above for a decent host.

BTW, one question, do you really need 10GB space? Or even 100GB BW?

EDIT:
    http://digihosters.com/virtual_hosting.php
    $49.95/mo for Virtual Account #3. Are you having a special agreement with them?
    Last edited by wheimeng; 03-05-2004 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks for the Tips

Hi all-
    I wanted to say thanks for all the tips and companys out there. I've received several different offers for hosting. There are a couple that I'm taking a further look at and will be contacting for further information.

My current account with digihosters.com *had* been most excellent. I had a much smaller account when I first started out, and then asked for a bigger account, and then to a bigger account - smaller than the 10G. We worked out something and I really liked what I was recieving. They then had a couple problems and ended up upping my account to the 10G. I've yet to need the full space, but I have often used close to that amount, but I've never used the bandwidth (100G). My account is set up as download location for Dungeons & Dragons Gaming Files for Greyhawk, and as such the space is used - we like to have as many files as possible avaliable for our fans.

So my account was special, and as such I always accepted the often downtime. But when something persisted for more than 2 days, I usually submitted a trouble ticket. Well for the past 4 months, any trouble ticket would take an extremely long time - and my current one has 21 requests for help - with notes informing them of the things that I have tried. I eventually fixed the problem myself, because they did not offer help.
    This is why I intend to leave.

Thanks again to all of you who responded.

Theocrat