Hybrid View

ev1servers OR theplanet ?

I am planning to lease a dedicated server and after heavy thinking choosed to lease Dual Xeon but couldn;t able to decide the host .. After doing some research I found couple of hosts ev1servers & theplanet who are offering pretty good servers with huge customer base .. The planet claims they are totally managed servers and offering gold level service and ev1servers doesn't but looks like they are big players ..

Theplanet claims are too good to be true but not sure how their support is and they don't have messageboard so I can't know how their customers are doing ?

I like to know from you guys , Is the theplanet are reliable ?

Ev1servers offering the following for $299
    Dell Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz Packages
    2 GB RAM - (2) 73GB Hard Drives
    1400 GB Monthly Transfer

The planet offering the following for $299 + $25 (extra for cpanel )
    Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz (Not sure about the server brand)
    2 GB ECC RAM -
    (2) 80GB SATA Hard Drives
    2000 GB Monthly Transfer
    40GB veritas backup
    plus Gold Level plan service
    Ping Monitoring.
    Network Based IDS.
    24/7/365 Onsite Hands and Eyes.
    Orbit™ Online Support Portal
    Host Based IDS.
    O/S updates and patches.
    Service Monitoring (FTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Terminal Services, etc….) - [up to 6 services]
    System Monitoring (Drive Space, Processor usage, Server Load, etc….) - [up to 6 services]
    Process Monitoring (ColdFusion.exe, PGP.exe, ApacheGuard.sh, snort, etc….) - [up to 6 services]
    On-Demand Vulnerability Assessments
    Centralized System Event Monitoring (Login Failed, File accesses, Network connect attempts, etc)
    Systems Administrative Service: 1 hour / month
    Last edited by dateadesi; 03-05-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Well there are two pretty big differences. The planet has support/manged services, EV1 does not. The planet has 100% SLA EV1 has none.

Having used both company's I would definetely recommend the planet.

I'd go with the server from The Planet. The Planet's servers are managed, while Ev1's are not. Also, you get 40GB of backup space with the server from The Planet. Support from The Planet is very good from what I've heard (ServerMatrix support isn't as good, but that's why their prices are cheaper )

-Josh

Yup, go to the planet, its a safer option from a support viewpoint.

Have to agree with everyone. I had a server with EV1 for a couple of months. Nothing wrong with it... until they decided to re-install Windows by mistake. Now I'm with the planet! Sure, it costs me double what I was paying with EV1, but I'm getting so much more - better server, better support, monitoring, backups......

EV1 vs The Planet? No contest, I'm afraid.

Ill 5th The Planet, wonderful datacenter (old inflow), and intelligent people.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Keep in mind the planet is only SATA, compared to SCSI at EV1. For most that probably won't matter, however if you have heavy disk usage..SCSI is much better

With that said, if you're looking for management and hand holding, go with the planet, if you're looking for arguably a better server, remote reboot (via DRAC) and a bit better pricing, go with EV1.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I'll 6th ThePlanet

Originally posted by nickn
    Keep in mind the planet is only SATA, compared to SCSI at EV1. For most that probably won't matter, however if you have heavy disk usage..SCSI is much better

With that said, if you're looking for management and hand holding, go with the planet, if you're looking for arguably a better server, remote reboot (via DRAC) and a bit better pricing, go with EV1.
    yup, you are right
    I do feel the server hardware @ ev1 is much better quality then theplanet .. SCSI is much better and dell servers are more relaible. Not sure where does theplanet gets their servers and how come they won;t provide scsi drives ..

literally I am newbie to server management and I prefer managed servers and I used to Ensim but theplanet provides only cpanel .. I am not aware of cpanel and I i know cpanel VS Ensim is a separate huge topic to discuss ..

You could always go EV1 + a Server Mangement package at another company.

(Which I can't fairly recommend but I'm sure many will have suggestions on good management companies, or you could ask on the EV1 board for recommendations)

You might be looking at few dollars more, however the management you get from most (or should get from most) 3rd party management companies will be much better than that of ThePlanet I'd bet
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

https://www.theplanet.com/tc/tc2800sr_server.php

I believe that they offer scsi, and http://rlx.com/products/serverblades/rackmodule.php are the servers offered. which I believe have supermicro motherboards.

I'll 7th the planet.

EV1 has started paying money to SCO, which is attacking Linux, something folks have spent a lot of time on and give away for free to many people.

If you want to get up to speed on the issue, hit many of the sites discussing EV1 and SCO.

The planet is a good place. If you are new to web work I wouldn't start with the super SCSI machine. And I'm not convinced the perf difference is that large.

This is a no brainer

I rather be on the TP network anyday.

Altho I have never actually used EV1 (but know people that do or did), TP just works best for our needs.

Go with the Planet. I was looking at EV1 (and a few others) but their cowardly deal with SCO and then the inane justifications by their Head Surfer lost them a customer.

They are so afraid of the ranting of their CURRENT customers they're not even letting new accounts be created to access their boards. They figure their current customers are flaming them enough.

I hope people talk with their wallets and cancell their accounts with EV1.

EV1 increasing even old servers pricing or what?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I am a 3 year customer of both ThePlanet and ServerMatrix. I can tell you that you won't be sorry picking ThePlanet over EV1. The level of support ThePlanet offers is unbelievable compared to any other company I have leased with.

Originally posted by Nnyan
    They are so afraid of the ranting of their CURRENT customers they're not even letting new accounts be created to access their boards.
    That doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell. One good thing about EV1 is their forum: it's very active and largely unmoderated (within the bounds of good taste, of course).

In fact, it was because of their forum I joined up as after several months of lurking, I felt I knew the company and their service pretty well and had confidence in them. It was because of their crappy support I left though

I am/have been with both SM and EV1. You're kind of comparing apples to oranges. SM will do things like recompile your kernel if needed with their basic (free) support offering. If you want more support you can pay for a level that best suits your needs. EV1, on the other hand, really only offers reboots and OS re-installs. That is not necessarily bad if it's all you need/want by way of server management. Both networks are very solid.

In good conscious however, if you plan on running a Linux machine you cannot go with EV1. They are paying "protection" money to SCO to continue their fight against free software/GPL/Linux. This, of course, is unacceptable.

it's performace (ev1's scsi's) vs support (theplanet) issue actually.

if your sites will be ok on dual sata - go for theplanet. if you need the best performance for your buck - go with ev1, but no support for you.

// have to agree about the SCO issue. if you are a linux guy - then Ev1/M$/SCO isn't a place for you

whats this sco issue? and what have sco todo with linux?

do i hear ev1 switch to all FreeBSD servers ?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

The first four articles are about the SCO issue
    http://www.vdsp.net/gate.html?name=Search&query=SCO

PS. Well, I also cannot use PayPal
    Last edited by Imago; 03-07-2004 at 02:49 AM.