Hybrid View

Finding just the right webhost

I'm new to these forums, having found them just yesterday. Browsing for hours on end and doing multiple Google searches, I find that I am more informed yet at a loss to find exactly what I need. Hopefully you guys can make some suggestions.

Basically:
    -I want a website to play around with (HTML, Javascript, possibly PHP, PERL, CGI, etc).
    -I will be using it for uploading images (I must be able to externally link to the pictures; for example, for an eBay auction).
    -I may need to upload large files (avi, mp3) for backup and I want to be able to do so without the headache of having them removed by the host.
    -Most likely, I would use it as a primary email address (I'm sick of Hotmail) and would like to be able to assign email addresses for friends and family.
    -I plan on using it as an online file manager; I want to have the ability to allow myself and others to upload and download documents (txt, doc, pdf) from the website.
    -I may want to put in a message board. However, I don't think the bandwidth needs to be too high. I'm guessing fewer than 1000 hits a month (that's an exaggeration).

In a nutshell, I think 1gb of space and maybe around 40gb of transfer should be enough (unless you guys think I need more or less of either one). I don't want limits on the files sizes I'm uploading or downloading (within my storage space limit). Because this will be my primary email address, the service has to be very reliable.

With all this said, I'll state the obvious: I want it for the cheapest price possible. Is it asking too much to want all of the above and a domain name for no more than $150 a year?

I'm willing to lose some minor features or functionality if it's necessary to reduce the price.

Any and all suggestions will be entertained and appreciated greatly (excluding gisol.com, which I almost got burned on. Luckily, I found this board before buying in).

You won't need 40 Gb BW for your needs, but if you do go with Lunarpages.com, its all good. They deliver what they sell and the price is great $8/mo

<<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

nipl is right. Lunarpages are cost-effective and they seem to provide what they promise according to what people say. Tell your host what you plan to upload on your site. Note that mp3s or avis are often copyrighted. Unless you own the copyright hosts might have a problem with you uploading such files on their servers, even if you do it only for back-up purposes as you claim.

Images could also be copyrighted...

So tell you soon-to-be host what you told us here and see if they agree to host you.

Also, as nipl said, you might not really need that much bandwidth (40GB)... But then again who knows?

Good luck finding a good host!

Re: Finding just the right webhost

Welcome to WHT. Let's take it step by step, Dr. Doom, shall we?

I want a website to play around with (HTML, Javascript, possibly PHP, PERL, CGI, etc).
    Almost any Unix/Linus hosting will do. In a competitive hosting market like we have today these features are the absolute basic companies offer.

-I will be using it for uploading images (I must be able to externally link to the pictures; for example, for an eBay auction).
    Don't see any problem here as well.

-I may need to upload large files (avi, mp3) for backup and I want to be able to do so without the headache of having them removed by the host.
    Well, if you do not hold copyright rights or a license to have, host and spread those multimedia files, any law abiding host will remove them.

-Most likely, I would use it as a primary email address (I'm sick of Hotmail) and would like to be able to assign email addresses for friends and family.
    Again, a basic feature that comes with every hosting plan. But get ready to fight spam on your own. No "Junk Folder" there, but there are some free tools that would help you minimize it.

-I plan on using it as an online file manager; I want to have the ability to allow myself and others to upload and download documents (txt, doc, pdf) from the website.
    Again, make sure all those files will be legal to host, distribute and share. For example, I know some PDF files that one person pays to download, then distribute it to the commmunity, even though it means friends. Either way, having a script in place that will simulate file sharing environment with usernames and passwords could be useful to protect distribution of those files to people you don't know.

-I may want to put in a message board. However, I don't think the bandwidth needs to be too high. I'm guessing fewer than 1000 hits a month (that's an exaggeration).
    Any message board (or even a forum) would not take much bandwidth. In your case I assume it will be solely for those who can access your site to egt those files.

In a nutshell, I think 1gb of space and maybe around 40gb of transfer should be enough (unless you guys think I need more or less of either one). With all this said, I'll state the obvious: I want it for the cheapest price possible. Is it asking too much to want all of the above and a domain name for no more than $150 a year?
    Consider the company I'm hosted with at the moment - www.micfo.com they offer just what you are looking for at affordable prices. However, I would strongly suggest you to first have a chat with them and find out if they (or any other hosting company of your choice) would support hosting those documents and MP3 files you want to have online for distribution. If you don't have the rights, it could be tough finding a good company.

As a last tip, remember than you get what you pay for, which, if you browsed this forum enough, is a rule that relates to hosting world very well, so keep in mind that if you want the cheapest host - maybe, just maybe, you'll get the same experience with it.

Good luck,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Does lunarpages.com register a domain name for you?

On a different note: Does it matter what operating system is running on the server? Will I in any way be affected differently by a Linux OS as opposed to Windows?

Perhaps they will if you ask them to. While I have nothing against Lunarpages, it is my belief that it's better to register the domain separately from your host. This gives you a bit more independence. Try godaddy.com.

Take care that it is said that Linux handles PHP&MySql better than Windows. Windows is the choice if you're going for ASP though...

If you're worried about security or stability the discussion becomes sort of religious. There are believers on both sides...