screwed by host... what do i do now?

i found this place using a google search. i was linked to a netstartz.com complaint. i saw that it was closed, so i don't mean to do the same thing over. i just want to know what my options are now. since i prepaid for a year in september and the service is cancelled, shouldn't i be reimbursed for at least the amount that i got screwed out of? is there anyway to do this? i'm horribly confused and i'm panicking. please help. thanks.

ps- i hope i'm posting this in the right area. i'm not too familiar with your forum. if this is in the wrong forum, just move it. sorry.

Unfortunately, this is where reading the TOS before signing up comes in to play.

It's really hard to know what you're entitled to without seeing the TOS, and their refund, or money back guarantee policy, if any.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

so because i don't fall under the money back gurantee date, i get nothing back at all, even if he discontinues service? ouch.

Unfortunately, that MAY be the case.

It really is a matter of being careful what you agree to.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying you can't get your money back....like I said, I haven't seen their policies, etc... It may be worth a try.
    avidInteractive

Was it done via credit card?

You might be able to do chargeback, its still worth a try although you have paid it few months ago.

Was it done via credit card?

You might be able to do chargeback, its still worth a try although you have paid it few months ago.
    While that would be an option....you don't find that unethical if she/he agreed to a TOS, which wouldn't entitle them to a refund?

I mean I'm all for the person getting back at a bad host, but I think it should be kept ethical and moral.

In any case UltraUnixNET is right. Chargeback is an option, if all else fails.
    Last edited by ANMMark; 03-05-2004 at 05:44 AM.
    avidInteractive

Yes, if the service was provided in full (1 year) regardless it was good or not, then he would not be entitled for it. However, he has prepaid for 1 year and got service for less than 6 months, therefore I believe he deserves to be compensated for the unused months.

I don't mean to rub salt in a wound...but these people who want to or are asked to pay annually are just suckers to begin with.

And we all know, a sucker's born every minute.
    With more success comes more expense!

Well sometime paying annually is fine. However, we always suggest to our customers to go month to month first. Earning a client's trust is a key fact in business, and if they trust you enough to pay annually that's one thing, but paying annually to a host you've not tried, etc that's a whole different ballgame.
    avidInteractive

okay. i paid the full amount by credit card. but i'd already been with him for 6 months or so before that. i just hated having to recieve a shitload of emails each time payment was due and then when payment was recieved. i know... stupid. so i went ahead and prepaid for a year in september. in november a lot of my freespace mysteriously dissappears. i had 1 gig of free space and i had maybe 300 megs up there and it said that i had 0mb free. i tried tech support and i tried contacting steven himself but no one could find the problem. then in december i start to have issues with the pages going down every once in a while. come mid january, my page disappears for ever. i kept filing ticket after ticket and shooting off emails and everything was ignored. i finally super panicked when netstartz.com itself disappeared completely for 2 weeks. that's when i did a google search and found this place.

How many times do we have to say this???? DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PAY FOR A YEAR!!!.Until you know the host is reputable and you are comfertable with your hosting company. I do not even offer the option to pay for a year unless you have been with us for a year. get familiar with the hosting company first dont try to save money by signing up for a year. Dont do a chargeback unless you are sure you are entiltled to a refund. Card companies make it to easy for people to do chargebacks. If you are in the right contact them warning them what you plan to do then if they do not refund you or do not respond then do a chargeback.

Always pay month to month. Most hosts offer recurring billing, you should only receive an email that your charge has gone through.

We don't even have a yearly option. I'm so against offering it!
    Sara

Sara Nelson Photography Preserving your moments since 1973.

How many times do we have to say this???? DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PAY FOR A YEAR!!!.Until you know the host is reputable and you are comfertable with your hosting company.
    Well sandee... take it a bit easier... the man said he was with them for 6 months before he decided to pay for 1 year, but it seems that you never really know what can happen. I bet he will pay monthly from now on...

Let me just clear things up. They aren't "suckers" for signing up for a year. There'a an awful lot of services where you would sign up for a year, and not face the problems you do with some unscrupulous web hosts (and let's face it there are a fair share).
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

well only sign up for month to month in the beginning with any host. Just dont look at man I can save $20. Do not pay a set up fee for going by month. Their are plenty of reputable hosting companies that do not penalize you for going month to month. Its all the same one click of a few buttons and your up and running.