How is this possible?

HI, I am sort of new to Running a web hosting company. I have alot of experience as a webmaster and trying to provide fast and friendly service and support, So far so good. I have had no one leave and am getting new sign ups.

But, I have a customer that signed up as a reseller and they seem to be using a different ip. and have there main domain pointed to there personal nameservers. When i do a search on whois they come up as a different ip. But there domain is on my server and when i tried to assign thier nameservers an ip it says that it is already assigned to an ip that is not in my ip range.

My question to you is how is this possible. Please be detailed so i can get a better understanding of how this works.

Thanks

P.S- This is probably such a newbie question but through the year or so i have been reading these forums and trying to learn i have never incountered this. So forgive me if this elementary
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1

well if he is in charge of his domain (inother words he did not buy it from you) he is the one that makes his own nameservers, its done through whoever the domain is purchesed thorugh, enom, godaddy etc etc

so you can't set his nameservers all you can do is tell him his ips to set up his nameservers, do you offer the ips to resellers? do they have to pay extra? does he have ips and does he know it? how new is he, perhaps his dns records have not updated yet!
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

HI, Thanks for your help.
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1