Compare cdgcommerce -vs- modernauthorize

Can anyone tell me if there are major differences between these two "offers"?

ModernAuthorize: http://www.modernauthorize.com/us/pricing.php

CDGcommerce: http://www.cdgcommerce.com/whtpromo.php

They both appear to be from established companies, but the ModernAuthorize "option" shows a lower discount rate.

Am I missing something? Hidden fees or something maybe?

Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

Well modernauthorize you DO have a monthly minimum, CDG, you don't have a minimum but do have a flat monthly fee.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by seraphex
    Well modernauthorize you DO have a monthly minimum, CDG, you don't have a minimum but do have a flat monthly fee.
    I would always meet the minimum so that's not a worry.
      0 Not allowed!

Then I would go with whatever will save you money then they both offer Authorize.net gatway so besides the above thats really the only diffrence (besides CDG offering thier own gateway as well)
      0 Not allowed!

A few quick items to point out to help clarify a few things on this thread, some of which may already been known by some or even many.

ModernAuthorize (the maker of the popular ModernBill package) is actually an affiliate of e-OnlineData (EOD).

EOD, in turn, represents OnlineDataCorp who in turn is owned by iPayment, Inc.

So... in essence - the actual comparison here would really be between CDGcommerce and EOD/ODC as those are the companies actually handling the merchant services side of the equation.

I just wanted to point that out so that if you research both companies as part of your due diligence, you'll want to research CDGcommerce and e-OnlineData/OnlineDataCorp to get user opinions on how the respective services have worked out for folks using it on the operating/day-to-day level.

And... on a general level - NOT speaking specifically of -either- company, here are my -general- suggestions for ANY merchant processor that you contemplate using (whether it is one mentioned in this forum or not).

I think that price is a factor in any service but there are also a lot of other important things to consider that can be even more crucial. (and in many cases, the variations in price from processor to processor are quite small... sometimes +- 3-4% of the total monthly bill)

One of the most critical is how a company handles risk management & customer service issues. If you read through the forums, you'll see plenty of examples of what I mean. This can be a life-and-death decision, especially for a business just getting everything rolling.

Held funds and prolonged delays on the risk side can end up being a death knell for a smaller business so this is really an area to consider seriously.

You will also want to consider how the processor-in-question handles monthly caps and volume increases. Do they have a set limit which is set in stone? Or are you allowed to exceed it on a liberal basis without funds being held as long as you keep within your average ticket parameters?

Lastly, find out about their chargeback policies. Is there a specified % in the contract that allows them to terminate the merchant? Is there a specific threshold that will result in switches being turned off? Or are all risk issues reviewed by an individual and dealt with accordingly or how are they handled and what is the average decision time on such issues?

Also, many merchants these days prefer to work with a company that gives them very personalized service (i.e. "where you don't feel like a number"). So ask about the type of support you can get, the type of coverage and the means by which you can access it... and whether the support is directly provided in-house or outsourced to a call center.

So you'll want to research all of this before reaching a decision on which of the many available merchant processing options you feel most comfortable working with. Don't be afraid of grilling a prospective merchant provider with a long list of questions.

Remember - it is your money... you deserve to have any and all questions and concerns answered before proceeding forward with any merchant account provider.

My advice: do your research, read various reviews and ask a lot of questions to see which company provides you with the highest level of comfort and direct, detailed answers to any and all questions that you have.

Best of luck in your search for the right merchant account provider for your needs - whether it is one of the ones in this thread or another!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the reply!

Am I correct then to say that the "primary" difference between the two companies specified in the thread topic would be:

Non-monetary value

(ie: customer service, chargeback policies, etc..)

In otherwords, strictly speaking modernauthorize is a bit "cheaper", but there are big differences with policies and might provide poor customer service, etc.. whereas cdgcommerce is a bit "more expensive" (although still a great deal!) and might have more lenient policies and certainly has outstanding customer service.

Is that about right?

In other words, could I say something like this is true?

"If you want rock-bottom cheap pricing, then go with modernauthorize. if you want customer service and someone who actually cares about you and your company, and a LITTLE more expensive, then go with cdgcommerce."
      0 Not allowed!

CDG Commerce is the way to go

I researched all these companies for about 3 years. I've set many companies up with Auhtorize.net and other gateways. I work for a company with over 200 employees and at that time Auth.net was the best I could find. When it came time to get a gateway for myself, I went with CDG.

CDG offers great customer service, prices well under the standard industry and it has FREE recurring billing where all these others I've found charge an extra setup and an additional monthly FEE for this option.

CDG has always been there to help me or any other companies I've setup. It's been a dream to work with them.

I would highly recommend them over any of the others.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Mr. Zippy,

I would like to congratulate you on your current research of both companies. Both are very stable in their operations. However, price isn't everything. I signed up to become a Merchant with CDG Commerce in January 6, 2004. I was very worried because it was a jump decision because I was becoming desperate. I contacted them by Live Chat on their web site and I spent around 1 1/2 hours talking to them!

They are very patient with me (the nag ;-)) and very strait forward. Their service is phenomenal. Any and all questions, they answer. They also provide a reseller program that is out of this world, you.

Overall, I believe it is the best decision I have made in my entire Business Life, besides starting a business.

A wonderful benefit with CDG Commerce, is after your account has been established and you have been using for a while, you can inquire for them to lower your deposit time from 72hrs to 48hrs after the transaction is cleared with AuthNet.

I have recently read a review that said E-Onlinedata provided a unsatisfactory level of customer service.

I would recommend searching the forums for "*onlinedata AND review*" Use the exact text WITH quotes. If that doesn't work, then use without the quotes.

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza
    CCF Web Hosting - Where Customers Come First!
    Phone: 1.630.885.9009 | Email: david(a)ccfhosting.com
    MSN: dgarza(a)ccfhosting.com | AIM: CCF DGarza | ICQ: 51140109
      0 Not allowed!

I was also shopping around for a CC processing gateway...

Mr. Zippy, you have to remember that with ModernAuthorize, you've gotta go up one more level before you even reach the processing gateway. Let me explain this a little better...

ModernAuthorize < e-OnlineData (EOD) < OnlineDataCorp < iPayment, Inc.

I'm not sure who CDG's upstream provider is, but I can guarantee that they're not 4 steps from the top, they're around 2, hence the difference in prices. Dollar for dollar, CDG is still cheaper than PayPal in the long run.

They have bent over backwards for me, accomodating almost every need that I've got that I am even sending my own Mother to them, as well as my biggest client... definitely a company I plan on doing business with for a long time.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
      0 Not allowed!

I have also been using CDG for a while now. Their support and gateway (I use CDG's not Authorize.net) have been perfect for us.

One thing a web host should consider using ModernAuthorize, are you aware that ModernBill has entered the web hosting market? Now do you really want ModernBill to be connected (directly or indirectly) with every aspect of the financial dealings of your hosting company when they are competing in the same business?

I'm not saying they would abuse any of the information they handle but I certainly would never allow a competitor access to this type of sensitive information regarding my business. For us, that one fact alone is enough to keep us from using any of their products...
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

I would like to thank everyone for providing their opinions and reviews on these two companies.

I have decided that I will use the services of CDGcommerce, as long as they will "have me".

I am VERY willing to forfeit the lower cost of ModernAuthorize and use cdg, because I have been very impressed with their customer service, excellent responses, and the various good reviews from their existing customers. Price and cost aren't everything, and I'm happy to pay a little more if it buys be good service for such a critical aspect of the business.

Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!

Compare cdgcommerce -vs- modernauthorize

Just to clarify, yes it is true e-onlinedata is affiliated with iPayment Inc. I also think CDG Commerce is affiliated with iPayment Inc and several other processors as listed here on their Web site: http://www.cdgcommerce.com/partners.php

Thanks,

Sloane
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Compare cdgcommerce -vs- modernauthorize

Originally posted by sbouchever
    Just to clarify, yes it is true e-onlinedata is affiliated with iPayment Inc. I also think CDG Commerce is affiliated with iPayment Inc and several other processors as listed here on their Web site: http://www.cdgcommerce.com/partners.php

Thanks,

Sloane
    I don't think iPayment was the focus of anyone's queries. I think the point was that to compare ModernAuthorize with CDG wouldn't be a very equal comparison. In order to compare apples to apples as closely as possible the comparison should be between CDG and e-OnlineData/OnlineDataCorp.

Sort of a motto issue at this point since the thread starter has already made his choice....
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Compare cdgcommerce -vs- modernauthorize

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    In order to compare apples to apples as closely as possible the comparison should be between CDG and e-OnlineData/OnlineDataCorp.
    Yes.

My comparison was between CDG and e-online. I did consider that ModernBill is the one behind ModernAuthorize, and that was also a factor in my decision.

I do not believe ModernGigabyte gives good support, and they did not bother to reply to two emails I sent them. (not even asking a question - I was simply asking them to reply to the email to show that someone read it and that they actually have support people.)

I also did a lengthy search on e-online and I found them to be.... not so good. They seem to have a tendancy to cancel people's accounts for very little reason. I can not afford to have the revenue for my business cut off without notice just because someone feels like it and have it take weeks to be restored.

CDGcommerce has proven themselves, both by direct response to my questions, and through many positive reviews, to be TOP quality in customer service and support. I have confidence in trusting the "money" part of my business in their hands.

Hence, my decision is to go with CDGcommerce.
      0 Not allowed!

MR. ZIPPY,

You have choosen.... Wisely ;-)! (Source: Inidiana Jones: The Last Cruisador)

Good Luck!

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza
    CCF Web Hosting - Where Customers Come First!
    Phone: 1.630.885.9009 | Email: david(a)ccfhosting.com
    MSN: dgarza(a)ccfhosting.com | AIM: CCF DGarza | ICQ: 51140109
      0 Not allowed!

CDG Commerce is excellent. They have follow up calls. Are very quick and professional.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Just one quick clarification re: a comment made by Sloane and which was raised earlier in this thread to avoid any confusion that might otherwise result.

CDGcommerce registered as an ISO/MSP with Provident Bank and our BIN heirarchy of merchant numbers is with that financial institution... not with iPayment.

We have indeed worked with a number of other banks and processors over the years and we have listed most of them on our current partners page on our current Web site... which in itself will soon be replaced with a completely revised site in the near future anyways.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!
      0 Not allowed!

We process thru cdgcommerce.

They are excellent to deal with. Top notch company.

10/10 Stars.
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

CDGcommerce has been excellent for us so far, I would highly recommend them. The account setup was very easy, and they will help you with any issues.
      0 Not allowed!

Everything great about CDG I just want to reiterate. Although I personally am frustrated with Auth.net but am psyched to move to CDG's gateway.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!
      0 Not allowed!