Optic vs Gigabit.

Hey all,

I am stuck here, I have found two hosts that I really in my budget. One of them has a fiber optic connection on New Edge Networks while other has a dual gigabit connection on Verio Network. Which one is better or they are about the same?
    Anoyne knows?

Thank you.

Hi,

Technically speaking, optical fibre is th future and reliable to take up growing network load.

But, For bandwidth load that currently prevails. Both optic and giga are capable of handling load without much difference seen by the end user.

regards,

-Devil

Neither ones better then any other, gigabit is easier to manage, cheaper, and easier to fix if it goes down. IF the provider has 2 gigabit connections to a provider then more then likely they have at least 1000mbps of actual bandwidth available possibly 2000mbps while the optic connection could be any speed. You should find out how much actual through put they have as either could be rate limited at any speed. That being said, you should probably look at other aspects of the provider, as a company could have 1million mbps of bandwidth but if their using 999,999 of their available capacity your going to get worse service then someone hosting your website on their home isdn connection. Far fetched but you get the point.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Hi,

I agree 100 % with cbaker17 view that it really matters on the load it really carries than the technology in use for an end user.

Technically speaking gigabit is easier to manage with the available technology. But, Optical is promising for the future.

Regards,

-Devil

It seems to me that you've missed one of the most critical features here, redundancy!

I'll take the host with two connections over the host with one, as if one of the links goes down, the other will keep your website up.

Yes but without further information, we have no way of knowing if the gige connections are setup to fail over to each other. If their pulling or pushing over a 1000mbps it wont matter even if they do have it setup to fail over.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Uh, something that everyone in this thread has missed, is the fact that the Dual Gigabit connection is going to go over either Singlemode, or Multimode Fiber, which is fiber optics anyhow.

Both of these connections are likely to be the same, fiber is the medium that the gigabits of bandwidth is transfered over.

Now, one company appears to have redundant fiber while the other..but they both have the same connection.

optical fiber