My server ran off and left me!What shall I do now?

This topic was to get some of you to take a look at this. There are so many posts about man my host ran out on me, my host is down, **** is a terrible host. I have not received my refund yet. Bashing hosts left and right.

Let me ask you something. When you take your wife or girlfriend out to dinner do you always look for the cheapest place to eat? Well I am sure there are a few of you that do this like my best friend he seems to think taco bell is a good place to take his new lady out to eat on the first date. This is why he is still single?

The same goes for Web hosting. When looking for a host use some common sense and you will not be posting here letting us know about how bad your experience with such and such host was. Always remember that servers are mechanical which means they can break for know apparent reason. Human error does happen and can not be avoided it happens to all hosting companies. Just because a site is down does not mean your host is terrible. It happens to all of us big or small.

Example of how to find a good host:

Do a search on google and see what has been written about them donít always rely on forums to get the answers you need. Call them ask them questions get to know who you are dealing with. Check the better business bureau to see if there are any complaints. Ask for legit reviews like can I talk to some of your clients. Most hosting companies will be happy to help you out. Test their support out by sending them a support ticket or email if they do not respond in the time you need then find someone else.

There are allot of great hosting companies out their but if you are always looking for the taco bell special you may run into problems. Running a hosting business is not an easy job like some people would think, it takes allot of time and hard work to keep things running smoothly. Hosting companies deserve to make a profit and not just make enough for lunch money. So do some research and you will probably find the right host for you and have a long term relationship with your hosting company. This is the kind of client that most hosting companies enjoy working with.

For those of you with the taco bell special I guess you will have to live and learn..

Part one of sandeeís new web hosting for dummies due out in June.

perfect example of a bad post about a hosting company was the Aussie post just posted not to long ago. No need to post this about a hosting company on these forums.

Have a great day!

Amem to this post...
    We need more positive reviews of good hosts....
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

Yappp

"[Company Name] Support! This is [name] speaking!"

"Hi. I was just wondering if your server is up and running?"

"Uhhh, yes it is."

"Well, you'd better go catch it!"

Sorry, couldn't resist...
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

LOL got me there. What is so funny about most of these post is allot of these folks ask for it. I seen a post yesterday where the guy bought hosting at a very cheap price on ebay and he came here wondering if anyone else was having a problem with thier site being down for the second time this week. Like thier is allot of peeps who buy hosting on ebay They should add a reviews forum for premium members only this way the one poster bad reviews of hosting companies do not get posted.

Sure there are allot of bad hosting companies out there but most of them run the taco bell special and you get what you pay for. Man I remember when i was paying $30 a month for hardly no space or transfer and did not even get a control panel. Now days you can get it all for a price of a pack of gum.

Actually, we don't really need posts regarding how good or bad a host is...we might need to know about scams though.

Look at this...out of thousands of clients only a couple takes pain to write good words about a host...and even more rare are those who take the time to write a review on forums.*

Let's just keep discussing about web hosting and ppl should ask about opinion before choosing a host...that sounds better to and we should have a seprate site for ratings and short reviews...like what circuitcity has for products or something similar.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

You make some very good points, Sandee.

We recently started offering a new program and actually had a few customers email us to say that our prices were 'not competitive' and 'too expensive' and proceeded to list about 4 eBay links for hosting for $7.50/year

Now, I don't know about you, but if I went to Taco Bell and they said I could get unlimited taco salads for a year for $0.62 a month, I'd run the other way in a heartbeat
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Yea you got to wonder what would be in those taco salads? maybe that annoying little chiwuawa. man I hope I spelled that right.

you know, you never do see him in those commercials anymore....
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

As I have said, bad things spread faster than good things. People seldom post when they are having good services but will jump at the post button when they are having problems with their host. This forum seem to be more bias towords bad review than good review. You will see a higher percentage of bad reviews than good reviews. Even if a good review is posted, it will come under the scrutiny of everyone. People will suspect if the good review is actually the hosting companying blowing its own trumpet getting free advertisment. Seldom you will see people suspecting bad reviews. Remember there are many hosting companies here, competition is heated here.
    Reliability , Consistency , Trustworthy
    http://www.paradoxhost.com

*Sign on A wall*

If you have Bad Service, Please tell us!
    If you have Good Service Please Tell your Friends!
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Isnt that the truth peter these forums probably will never change. This is turned into a forum for bad host reviews.,

Actually most of the people who post bad stuff are trying to get their host to act faster on their problems. WHT has become too popular causing hosts to fear it. It become a force to be reckoned with. It give more power to consumers to put pressure on their hosts.
    Reliability , Consistency , Trustworthy
    http://www.paradoxhost.com

Yeah, but good reviews should be kinda prohibited..I'm not jealous lol..but you know it sucks to see those 4-5 posts old people posting about a two year old experience about web host who hasn't been even a month old.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

machines do have downtimes...is the service attitude that counts!!
    at least for me
    peace...

Usually when I see a bad report on a host here lately it is from people with just one post? How come? Makes no sense unless they are faking a bad report. There is one on here right now about such and such host is a scam. Its hard to believe a bad report from people with only one post.

I like the people who post:
    "I'm looking for reliable hosting, with great support and uptime".

Wow, you could just pick the first host you find if that's all you're looking for. Everyone advertises that. People need to be more specific with their needs when looking for hosts.

It's no wonder your previous 5 cheap hosts left you stranded.
    -= System Administrator Windows/Linux - MCDST, MCP =-
    www.VETCOELECTRONICS.com

Some of us just come here to help people and chat and have minimal interes tin webhostingtalk as a customer base. I think I have maybe 1-2 clients from here as a whole which is perfectly fine. Its still a good forum for information and while bashing goes on and such its best to just look past it.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

It is true about bad posts vs. good posts. I have yet to see a positive post here on WHT about any company that people didn't flame them. It is unacceptable on WHT to praise any company for providing good service and support. The bad posts are fully supported though and all the starter fluid you need will be added for you.

Everyone has a different experience with each different host. Lots of times when you see people flaming it is because the host didn't bend over backwards for them. I see these posts all the time and we get emails ALL the time that we should offer more of this or more of that. We design our plans so servers are not overtaxed and that just bugs some of the taco bell searchers to death.

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    Some of us just come here to help people and chat and have minimal interes tin webhostingtalk as a customer base. I think I have maybe 1-2 clients from here as a whole which is perfectly fine. Its still a good forum for information and while bashing goes on and such its best to just look past it.
    Pixel, I am in absolute complete agreement with you on every point of your post. I purposely don't advertise my services here for the simple fact that every time I post a request in an offer forum, several people take it upon themselves to trash my posts there. I've gotten one customer from here, just from her reading my posts here, I've got another one that should be coming on board soon that also found me from here.

I was discouraged quite early in my WHT life here by the amount of trashing and bashing that goes on here, and by the fact that people want everything for next to nothing.

This isn't to say that I won't ever advertise here, I will actually be advertising here sometime in the next couple months, however, I'm again not going to rely on WHT to be my sole source of income.

I post here simply because it's a great stress buster for me, and I can share my experiences and knowledge, both as a host and as an end user.

Thank you for posting exactly what I see, Pixel.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)