Question MySQL privilages question. How to disable privilages access.

Ok, I am really really thinking about starting a mini hosting place of sort. I'll offer sql of course and would like to have it setup like my current hosting company does.

Here is a pic of there setup when I try to access via phpMyAdmin... You can clearly see that they have disabled "priviliges"

Remove the "*" accordingly please.

h**p://w*w.endurox.net/images/sql/sql2.jpg

Now here is a picture of how I currently have mine setup... Priviliges enabled...

h**p://w*w.endurox.net/images/sql/sql1.jpg

How'd they do that? disable priviliages that is? Anyone got any instructions on setting up my sql to do the same as theres? Thanks all!

still searching for this, any ideas?

do you have root access?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

still searching ,

lol I love that smilie.

I have 2 users and what I want is to stop them from being able to see each others databases and only view theres oh and not to be able to create a new database.

I dont understand what you are trying to do?

You dont want the privileges link showing up? Why?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

because if I offer MySQL databases all they have to do is upload phpMyAdmin to there site an get full access to MySQL. I don't want that. So by disabling it on there accounts/databases I wont have that problem!

This doesnt make any sense.

The only way they would have access to other people's DB's is if they logged into the database as root. Surely you would disallow that

I think you need to read up on the grant tables and how they work.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Originally posted by endurox
    because if I offer MySQL databases all they have to do is upload phpMyAdmin to there site an get full access to MySQL. I don't want that. So by disabling it on there accounts/databases I wont have that problem!
    They won't be able to do that if the username/password is different for each user.

For example:

Database A is setup with User_A as user

Database B is setup with User_B as user

User_B can not browse Database A (User_B not assigned privileges to Database A)

User_A can not browse Database B (User_A not assigned privileges to Database B)

This is all really basic stuff regarding mySQL, and it is covered in great detail in their documentation.

If you are going to start hosting, I'd suggest that you first get a cheap leased server and start playing around with mySQL (along with he other applications you'll need to get to know).

Tim