Thread: Best Network

Best Network

Hello,

I know there have been many threads on this topic, but networks are constantly changing. My question is in your opinion who has the best network and why?

Now this is a personal opinion for everyone, so please donít argue at others. So might thing Cogent is the best network because of the price per performance, while others might prefer expensive bandwidth such as UUNet.

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

I would have to say Level3
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

Also, I forgot to add please add a reason for why you think this network is the best.

webtech, why do you like Level3?

Thanks, Kyle Leissner

There isn't a best network.

I like Level3 because of the price and quality of the network not to mention the NOC techs are the best and are willing to help you with anything you need even if it means configuring the network to be optimized to Level3's network. Granted they wont do your entire network but they will help you along the way.
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO

inogenius,

This is a true fact, the best is to have many networks blended together. How about who is your favorite backbone provider and why?

If you were to asked about the single strongest carrier (read <-- Not tier2 like Peer1 and internap), I would pick MCI. MCI had been the strongest to start and it had always been strong, even over the whole bankruptcy fiasco. They peer with almost everyone, and all peering is settlement free.

MFJP,

Thanks for the reply I like MCI and Level3 as well. I do like some of the Tier2 providers as well though.

Thanks, Kyle

A blend of several providers.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

who does Xiolink use now adays Mike?
    Webby Enterprises LLC

Originally posted by webtech
    who does Xiolink use now adays Mike?
    It appears their AS is currently being announced to:

- UUNET
    - Level(3)
    - XO
    - Williams

- Mike Griffin
    Handy Networks, LLC - http://www.handynetworks.com
    Since 1997

Right now, I'd say the best tier 1 is Level(3) and the best secondary network would probably be either NAC or Peer1.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

MCI should still be stronger than L3. With MCI, i rarely see weird packet routing, with L3, there are still some minor routing/peering issues.

Re:

I like MCI. They have build great network and offer any type of service across the us/world. ATM, FR, or IP they run them all in great shape backing each other up offering any type of connecting and service for customer application needs. Now With that said.. I hope their MPLS implementation will not mess everything up!

cheers

I'd have to say peer1 is best *imo*. 100% uptime, private peering between Toronto, montreal, Vancouver, New York, Seattle and San Jose. Latency is less than 80ms to pretty much anywhere (there are exceptions of course)

But all around fantastic network. They have not disappointed us to this day.
    | Priority support (Since July 2001) | 99.9%+ uptime (Alertra stats available) |
    | Dual Xeon servers at local data center | Premium PEER1 bandwidth |
    | Visit us today | www.webulex.com |

blend

it is definately a blend - some are strong in certain regions of the world - so by having several that have good coverage to europe, us and far east is the best thing. there is no one carrier who is best everywhere. also it makes your incoming better the more you have. that is half your routing right there.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

We use a product that improves network perfomance by looking at latency, etc. and then termines best routes. Believe it or not (and MCI is very interested in this), we push more traffic out L(3) over MCI. about 2X more in L3 than MCI.

For our customer base, Level(3) performs better than MCI...
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

L3 seems to be exceptionally strong in STL though.

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    We use a product that improves network perfomance by looking at latency, etc
    How many network path(s)/location(s) are you monitoring to determinte this?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by FHDave
    How many network path(s)/location(s) are you monitoring to determinte this?
    If I'm not mistaken, they're running a netVmg box, which has since been purchased by Internap. http://www.internap.com/products/route-optimization.htm

- Mike
    Handy Networks, LLC - http://www.handynetworks.com
    Since 1997