Perl//CGI problem

Hi Guys

I think there is something wrong with my CGI-BIN.
    Cuz I'm playing with an Perl application, and I've tested it on 3 server, on 2 servers it's working just fine. But one not.

Okay the problem is very strange, I've uploaded the 5 perl files into the CGI-BIN folder, than I surfed to the url of one file and I got this 500 Internal Server Error message:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And than we surfed a couple of times to the URL, every time the same message, but the files are present. So the next day in the afternoon I surfed again to it, and it was working, nothing was changed in the server installation.

I tried it with 2 other domain-names same problem, same experience. Rebooting doesn't help.

Does anyone overhere knows what problem it might could be?
    Maybe something with apache, but I think it's something with CGI-BIN and or Perl.

Last edited by dutchee; 03-04-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Probably it requires modules that aren't installed on the third server, or has the wrong perl location listed in the interpreter line at the beginning of the file, and is dying before it outputs any HTTP headers. You could try checking Apache's error log, or running the script manually if you have shell access, or writing a little CGI script that runs it and then displays stdout and stderr.

Well I bought the application, and it's working on 2 other server.
    So I think it's missing some perl modules, but it's working, but only the nest day, and on another server it work immediately.

Superior, CO, USA
    What is in the Apache error log (traditionally located at /usr/local/apache/logs (or apache2 for the Apache 2.x series))?

Well I got the raw log file of a new domain-name where I installed the application today, this is a little piece of the end of this logfile:

[05/Mar/2004:07:32:26 -0800] "GET /icons/text.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 229 "" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" - - [05/Mar/2004:07:32:38 -0800] "GET /cgi-bin/ HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" - - [05/Mar/2004:07:32:40 -0800] "GET /cgi-bin/ HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

I'm trying to download the file:
    But I get the error above, in the first post.
    Andd the next day it will work, and on other servers it will work immediately.

I've compared the lists of perl moduls on the Direct Admin installation and the CPanel installation. Direct Admin has much more Perl Modules, so I've uploaded all the perl modules with the name Apache in the filename, that were on the DirectAdmin installation, and not in the CPanel installation, but it didn't work.

So I thought maybe it's an idea to UPGRADE APACHE with the Perl Module, but I see in CPanel the follwing remark: Perl Module (not required to run .cgi scripts/not compatible with php) (Version 1.28)

Does this mean that PHP won't work anymore when I download and install this?? I'm not an server expert, sorry, for these questions, but I'm a little bit afraid of doinfg something wrong. Thanks in advance.

I think it sould work if I install the Perl module.