I recently purchased a RaQ 3i. I have a 512 MB RAM upgrade, 500 MHz CPU upgrade and a 80 GB hard drive for it. This server will only house appoximatly 10-20 websites (mostly static pages). I must have SSH, SSL, PHP and MySQL.
I have the following questions regarding setup:
1) what OS should I put on it? 3, 4 or 550?
2) is there a FAQ somewhere on how to upgrade to a higher OS or is it as simple as reinstalling the original version?
3) Is there a reason to not use SquirrelMail for webmail? It seems Open webmail is more popular in the RaQ community.
1) The RaQ4 OS would probably be the best for a RaQ3 (thats what we are doing).
2) Very simple to do. Google for cobalt-users and you will get the official cobalt users list. Then do a search on it to find instructions.
3) Open Webmail is more popular because it comes as a .pkg from pkgmaster.com (which also has openssh packages, as well as php upgrades and mysql packages)
I have read both PDF manuals on the Sun site (4i & 550). Aside from the GUI, can anyone outline the differences between the 2 OSs? Is the reason for recomending the 4i OS because of an easier install or other reasons?
Oh yeah, right. I forgot about the ROM upgrade thing. Is the ROM upgrade a difficult thing to do? I believe that I can still purchase a new ROM from a 3rd party if I screw it up, correct? I do like the idea of having a 2.4 kernel and ext3. Also, I have the time to fool around with the RaQ before it has to go live. If the general consensus is to stick with the 4i, I'll listen to the experts.