Question New RaQ3i setup/upgrade questions

I recently purchased a RaQ 3i. I have a 512 MB RAM upgrade, 500 MHz CPU upgrade and a 80 GB hard drive for it. This server will only house appoximatly 10-20 websites (mostly static pages). I must have SSH, SSL, PHP and MySQL.

I have the following questions regarding setup:

1) what OS should I put on it? 3, 4 or 550?

2) is there a FAQ somewhere on how to upgrade to a higher OS or is it as simple as reinstalling the original version?

3) Is there a reason to not use SquirrelMail for webmail? It seems Open webmail is more popular in the RaQ community.

1) The RaQ4 OS would probably be the best for a RaQ3 (thats what we are doing).
    2) Very simple to do. Google for cobalt-users and you will get the official cobalt users list. Then do a search on it to find instructions.
    3) Open Webmail is more popular because it comes as a .pkg from pkgmaster.com (which also has openssh packages, as well as php upgrades and mysql packages)
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have read both PDF manuals on the Sun site (4i & 550). Aside from the GUI, can anyone outline the differences between the 2 OSs? Is the reason for recomending the 4i OS because of an easier install or other reasons?

You will need to upgrade the ROM on the Raq 3 (or 4) in order to run the 550 OS. You will not need to do this for the Raq 4. Much easier...

Yes. Upgrading the rom is not an easy thing. The chances of it messing up are what scares everyone away. And rightly so. You can't get a new rom chip from sun.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Oh yeah, right. I forgot about the ROM upgrade thing. Is the ROM upgrade a difficult thing to do? I believe that I can still purchase a new ROM from a 3rd party if I screw it up, correct? I do like the idea of having a 2.4 kernel and ext3. Also, I have the time to fool around with the RaQ before it has to go live. If the general consensus is to stick with the 4i, I'll listen to the experts.